Fantasy Oly team event - Team USA | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Fantasy Oly team event - Team USA

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So "Russia" is eligible for the team event after all? :scratch2: I don't think that was ever cleared up...

:agree: I think it is premature to assume that an OAR team will be eligible for the figure skating team event.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So "Russia" is eligible for the team event after all? :scratch2: I don't think that was ever cleared up...

Clearly I am not the only one assuming a From Russia team will be there. I certainly hope that if the issue hasn't been decided that there will be no From Russia team. If there is, maybe they should call it the Banned Country team.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
:agree: I think it is premature to assume that an OAR team will be eligible for the figure skating team event.

Wasn't it cleared up in the initial statement where they banned Russia as a state, but allowed Russian athletes, that team OAR would be allowed to participate in the team event.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Wasn't it cleared up in the initial statement where they banned Russia as a state, but allowed Russian athletes, that team OAR would be allowed to participate in the team event.

IMO, the answer is No.

The IOC has not even taken the first step yet -- of naming those who will be allowed to participate as OARs.

After it does, then I will be waiting for a ruling from the IOC and/or ISU as to whether the figure skaters identified as OARs will be allowed to compete in the team event as a team of OARs.

Technically speaking: skaters from Russia had earned qualifying points for the team event for a team representing Russia; not for a team of OARs.
So anything remains possible, IMO. YMMV.

IMO, the answer is No.

The IOC has not even taken the first step yet -- of naming those who will be allowed to participate as OARs.

After it does, then I will be waiting for a ruling from the IOC and/or ISU as to whether the figure skaters identified as OARs will be allowed to compete in the team event as a team of OARs.

Technically speaking: skaters from Russia had earned qualifying points for the team event for a team representing Russia; not for a team of OARs.
So anything remains possible, IMO. YMMV.

We'll see. But I will be very surprised if there is any problem about fielding a "From Russia" team. As for the "first step" of naming which athletes will be allowed to participate as OARs, how could it be otherwise than to accept those skaters that are put forward by the Russian Figure Skating Federation? Do we expect that the IOC will say, well, you can send some athletes, but not Medvedeva and Zagitova?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
We'll see. But I will be very surprised if there is any problem about fielding a "From Russia" team. As for the "first step" of naming which athletes will be allowed to participate as OARs, how could it be otherwise than to accept those skaters that are put forward by the Russian Figure Skating Federation? Do we expect that the IOC will say, well, you can send some athletes, but not Medvedeva and Zagitova?

All bets are off, IMO.
I don't "expect" anything one way or the other.

All I know is that the Opening Ceremony is only twenty-five days away, and the IOC has not yet gone forward with announcing the names of the OARs.
So I am not assuming that "otherwise" is impossible. YMMV.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker

It was, it very clearly said teams as well.
All that's left is naming the athletes by the IOC but that isn't going to be an issue in skating, not with the way the Russians have been tested for the last few years.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It would be suicide for Team USA to send Chen in the SP... her GP scores were 59.53 and 61.77. As for the LP, she hasn't scored above 130 internationally and even on home ice at Nationals she was hammered with tech calls. Although I suppose Abbott's SP didn't compromise a better medal for the US last time so perhaps it wouldn't make a difference.

If not Bradie for both programs, Mirai could be a solid choice for the SP given her base value with the 3A in there giving her a boost, but putting her in the LP she is way too much of a question mark.

It makes more sense to go with a skater who won't get nailed for tech calls in both programs and that is Bradie. PCS wise she isn't as good as Karen but she more than makes up for it technically and has clout as US champion. Bradie could get a much needed PCS boost if she competes both team segments, and skates them cleanly as she proved to be capable of.

It makes no sense to keep Bradie out of the team event in lieu of Karen especially after she destroyed Karen at Skate America and Nationals, by over 20 points each time. :unsure:

But hey, if the US wants a Karen SP and/or a Mirai FS as their team event picks, Canada and Russia are probably more than happy to support that. :biggrin:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Again, the top 3 teams are locked in for medals. What they should be trying to figure out is how they would most likely be able to win the Gold medal.

If Bradie Tennell is put into the Team event, then the USA's chance of Gold is probably something like 1%, because the only way Bradie will get a good enough placement is if many other Ladies make big mistakes.

If someone less consistent like Karen Chen skates the SP and makes a mistake, then it probably just doesn't matter at all, because it's not going to remove USA"s Bronze medal. Yet, if Karen Chen DOES skate perfectly, then she can beat competitors that Bradie Tennell can not and thus increase the USA's chance of a higher medal placement. Ditto for Mirai Nagasu skating the LP.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Stick with Tennell for both the SP and LP. Karen and Mirai are to much of a question mark and the international judges will be looking for any underrotated jumps from either of them since this won't be US National judges who willing turn a blind eye.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
All bets are off, IMO.
I don't "expect" anything one way or the other.

All I know is that the Opening Ceremony is only twenty-five days away, and the IOC has not yet gone forward with announcing the names of the OARs.
So I am not assuming that "otherwise" is impossible. YMMV.
It will be announced on the 28th.
The way I see it, the only way that nominated athletes won't skate is if they've had a suspicious test. That means Medvedeva and Zagitova should be good to go.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
They are announcing on the 28th. I'm assuming it will be the same as submitted unless any of them have suspicious tests...

Jan 28 is the deadline for OWG entries for all countries (not specific to OARs).

Nothing would be stopping the IOC from announcing OARs earlier than Jan 28, if it were ready to announce any and wanted to announce any.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I think they should do this:
Men: Chen SP, Zhou FS
Ladies: Nagasu SP, Tennell FS
Pairs: SK/K SP+FS
Dance: ShibSibs SD+FD (BOW)

If they want best chance at team gold medal (but don't care about individuals)
Men: Chen SP+FS
Ladies: Tennell SP+FS
Pairs: SK/K SP+FS
Dance: ShibSibs SD, H/D FD

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Stick with Tennell for both the SP and LP. Karen and Mirai are to much of a question mark and the international judges will be looking for any underrotated jumps from either of them since this won't be US National judges who willing turn a blind eye.

Even at Nationals Karen was nailed for tech calls. A UR in the SP, and 5 tech calls (an "e", a <<, and 4 <) in the FS. On home ice, during Nationals, when judging is typically most lenient.

Again, the top 3 teams are locked in for medals. What they should be trying to figure out is how they would most likely be able to win the Gold medal.

If Bradie Tennell is put into the Team event, then the USA's chance of Gold is probably something like 1%, because the only way Bradie will get a good enough placement is if many other Ladies make big mistakes.

If someone less consistent like Karen Chen skates the SP and makes a mistake, then it probably just doesn't matter at all, because it's not going to remove USA"s Bronze medal. Yet, if Karen Chen DOES skate perfectly, then she can beat competitors that Bradie Tennell can not and thus increase the USA's chance of a higher medal placement. Ditto for Mirai Nagasu skating the LP.

Other than Worlds 2017, Karen Chen has not delivered a single clean international SP (with 3Z+3T, no UR) in her senior career. She did 3 out of 4 events this season at home, and still got nailed. Not a single clean SP. Bradie has had 4 clean SPs this season. Even Mirai, who had an awful Rostelecom, has turned up the heat, especially with a much better looking 3A. If team USA were to risk anyone, it would be putting Mirai in the SP because she's the dark horse (not Karen) who if she DOES skate perfectly, then she can increase USA's chance of a higher medal placement.

Karen is no longer the reigning US champion, and thus will not have the same clout/generosity she got at 2017 Worlds. Unless she has some magical turnaround in the next few weeks, based on her entire career, she will have several tech calls in her FS, and it is inevitable she will get a UR call on the combo in the SP. Tennell however, has proved to be rock solid.

Yes, Karen will probably, deservedly, score higher PCS than Tennell (#ConfidenceWhileUnderrotating), but her technical reliability has been non-existent this season. I also predict that Tennell, now being US champion, should clear 70 with a clean SP - surpassing Karen's personal best - at the Olympics.

Another thing: it would also be absolute joke and robbery to deny the reigning American champion an inevitable Olympic team medal.... simply because Karen could possibly place slightly higher than Tennell if she skates cleanly - which she has only managed to ever do once in international competitions. To evoke Adam Rippon, the only way Bradie Tennell isn't skating in the Olympic team event is if Mirai's AND Karen's moms make up the selection committee.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think they should do this if they're going to split segments:
Men: Chen SP + FS
Ladies: Nagasu SP, Tennell FS
Pairs: SK/K SP + FS
Dance: Shibs SD, H/D FD

It's almost the same for me if they want best chance at team gold medal (but don't care about individuals):
Men: Chen SP + FS
Ladies: Nagasu SP + Tennell FS
Pairs: SK/K SP + FS
Dance: Shibs SD + FD (although H/D are essentially on par with the Shibs now, so it's not a huge deal if they get the FD, other than them getting a medal which could motivate them more in the next quad and give them better momentum -- already thinking 2022 Olympics team event! :biggrin:)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

It would be an injustice of the greatest magnitude to deny Russian figure skaters a chance to compete at the Olympics or as part of the team event.

There has never been a case of which I am aware of drugging in the figure skating program. None. The closest thing was when B/S withdrew from the WC pairs event after one of them took an over-the-counter cold medication.

As a reminder, I have issued a press release that I will refer to relevant figure skaters as being from "Russia" and not from "OAR" because I think that designation unfairly throws shade at a federation and individual skaters who do not deserve it.

b-man

Final Flight
Does the same "competition committee" who selected the US team also decide who will participate in the team competition? Are these selections likely before the team arrives in Korea, or after arriving and initial practices can be monitored?? I don't remember how this was handled in Sochi.

frida80

Record Breaker
It would be suicide for Team USA to send Chen in the SP... her GP scores were 59.53 and 61.77. As for the LP, she hasn't scored above 130 internationally and even on home ice at Nationals she was hammered with tech calls. Although I suppose Abbott's SP didn't compromise a better medal for the US last time so perhaps it wouldn't make a difference.

If not Bradie for both programs, Mirai could be a solid choice for the SP given her base value with the 3A in there giving her a boost, but putting her in the LP she is way too much of a question mark.

It makes more sense to go with a skater who won't get nailed for tech calls in both programs and that is Bradie. PCS wise she isn't as good as Karen but she more than makes up for it technically and has clout as US champion. Bradie could get a much needed PCS boost if she competes both team segments, and skates them cleanly as she proved to be capable of.

It makes no sense to keep Bradie out of the team event in lieu of Karen especially after she destroyed Karen at Skate America and Nationals, by over 20 points each time. :unsure:

But hey, if the US wants a Karen SP and/or a Mirai FS as their team event picks, Canada and Russia are probably more than happy to support that. :biggrin:

Why are people talking about sending Karen? I don’t think anyone has mentioned it since Skate Canada. The only Chen that should be in the team event is Nathan.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I think USA will split the ladies and men, one for ID and pairs.

Bradie SP + Mirai FS
Chen SP + Adam FS
obvious choices for ID & Pairs.

As a reminder, I have issued a press release that I will refer to relevant figure skaters as being from "Russia" and not from "OAR" because I think that designation unfairly throws shade at a federation and individual skaters who do not deserve it.

To say nothing of grammar. Can one say, these figure skaters are from Olympic athletes from Russia? ;)

I think USA will split the ladies and men, one for ID and pairs.

Bradie SP + Mirai FS
Chen SP + Adam FS
obvious choices for ID & Pairs.

Is Ice Dance obvious? They could go with the U.S. champions or with the Shibs. Or, for the LP, with the best LP program this year, Chock and Bates.

If someone less consistent like Karen Chen skates the SP and makes a mistake, then it probably just doesn't matter at all, because it's not going to remove USA"s Bronze medal. Yet, if Karen Chen DOES skate perfectly, then ...

... the odds rise to 2%. ;)

Last edited: