Hanyu out of Team Event at the Olympics | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Hanyu out of Team Event at the Olympics

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
FWIW, sports analytics firm Gracenote has picked Japan to win silver in team figure skating.

Hanyu was their original pick for gold in men's individual, but has now moved behind Fernandez.

team medal? :palmf::rofl2: Someone has to explain to those "analysts" that Olympic Team Event doesn't work same way as WTT and you actually really need strong pair and ice dance team. What is the problem with all media and "analysts" recently, why they are not willing to spend more time to study the field/competition /event they are actually going to analyse and even predict the result ! I am so tired of all the incompetence covering this sport really.

Plumededragon

Medalist
FWIW, sports analytics firm Gracenote has picked Japan to win silver in team figure skating.

Hanyu was their original pick for gold in men's individual, but has now moved behind Fernandez.
Considering how unreliable such article with “analytics” are, I don’t believe it one bit. :laugh:
Keeping Yuzu’s condition a secret fuels rumors, of course, but at the end, only Yuzu and his team know what’s best for him. And I trust them to make the right decision. :) If TJ makes it to the free skate, Keiji could benefit from having Olympic ice. At least, I hope so. As you guys said, reactions are mixed for the Team Event.

Spinning

On the Ice
On a recent IceTalk episode, Jackie Wong was talking to Brooke Castile about the team event, and they said that from the skaters they've talked to, it varied a lot. Some felt that it drained them for their individual event and said they'd never want to do it again, but others felt that it really helped them get their feet wet for their event. I know Tessa and Scott said they really liked it and that a lot of their favourite moments from Sochi were from the TE and I've heard other Canadian skaters say that they really enjoyed the opportunity to compete as a team. So I guess there's a big range of feelings about it.

I agree with you completely. My point is to argue with the saying that "it is a hit within skaters themselves".

I'm sure if your team has a chance for medal obviously you want to participate. It's OM after all. As a viewer, I went OMG OMG please don't get yourself injuries to all skaters. I knew a lot of my skating fan friends skipped watching it last time. I think there are splitting preferences, so claiming one way or another is too inaccurate.

I'm all in moving the team events to the later part of the games too. Making more senses and fair to every one.

Spinning

On the Ice
But for Yuzuru it is. So why would he go compete if he can't land a single quad? It'd be humiliating for him. If he's still in such bad condition he isn't allowed to do quads, I'd expect him to have withdrawn already.

Yuzuru with only clean triples is capable to beat the failing multiple quad attempts and rightfully win. Remember what happened in 2014 Men FS?

I might be biased but I love to see both of his programmes in the Olympic settings.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
agreed that the team event should be after the individuals! I like the team event but it just screws up or has the possibility to screw up the individuals and that's not really fair to anyone (the ones participating and the ones not)

Someone on another forum was also saying that besides programs, they could have to perform a set set of skills which could bring some strategizing with the selection of which skater does which skill within the team. That'd be pretty fun and it would add something other than just seeing the same programs again.

I think it would be nice too if skaters who have no
berth for individual discipline could compete in Team Event but I can understanding the reasoning behind it not being the case. Certain countries would be privileged as not everyone has a viable alternative .

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
For anyone worried about the state of Yuzuru's jumps (quads or lack thereof), Brian Orser has just given an update:

http://www.sanspo.com/pyeongchang2018/news/20180205/pye18020523070035-n1.html
Google's translation of that is pretty funny:

"Mr. Banyan Yasar, coach of Hanyu Yasushi (ANA) who is going to win two consecutive titles in the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics figure skating men, said Mr. Brian O'Saar"... "he's well-trained, he is surprised, he gets a gold medal"... etc etc :-D

Sorry Nathan, Shoma, Boyang, Javier, Mikhail etc etc... gold medal is gone already, you are fighting only for the silver. Google translate says so! ;-D

noskates

Record Breaker
This is good news, but would you expect Orser to say anything else? The "spin" is on.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
But for Yuzuru it is. So why would he go compete if he can't land a single quad? It'd be humiliating for him. If he's still in such bad condition he isn't allowed to do quads, I'd expect him to have withdrawn already.

He doesn't have to execute a single, clean quad to score/place high. http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2015/index.htm

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2015/wc2015_Men_SP_Scores.pdf
http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2015/wc2015_Men_FS_Scores.pdf

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker

giulia95

Medalist
To me it will be just a miracle if Yuzu competes, then when he's on the ice anything can happen :laugh:

I'm ready to every possibility , even the case they announce Yuzu will skip the official practices and the six minute worm up to focus on the SP and FS only :laugh2:

FCSSp4

Rinkside

Good point Canadian Skater Guy! He did exceptionally well in the 2nd half. His 3As there were as good as quads. This is actually one of my favorite POTOs from him. Even after stomach surgery he went and did that. Thanks for reminding me. Awesome post. :D

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Good point Canadian Skater Guy! He did exceptionally well in the 2nd half. His 3As there were as good as quads. This is actually one of my favorite POTOs from him. Even after stomach surgery he went and did that. Thanks for reminding me. Awesome post. :D

I'm here for Yuzu winning the Olympics with zero quads. For all the quad hype around, it would be hilarious to have a quad-less OGM! :biggrin:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Totally! It's unfortunate that in the FS he doubled the quad salchow, lipped, and fell on the 4T and fell out of his quad in the SP, otherwise he easily would have won. Still, a wonderful effort considering! :clap:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Yes, in truth Yuzuru is dying and jumping singles.

Jumping? We haven't even seen him glide on ice since October. Its possible that he's forgotten how to skate and now looks like me when I'm on the ice :dbana:

I'm starting to think we'll be seeing a Yuzu projection on the ice during official practices :laugh:

giulia95

Medalist
The more I read these posts the more I think psychologists may passionately study the following case report : a new and very unconventional way to promote and to support a reigning Olympic champion towards next Olys.:laugh: