Moving moments | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Moving moments

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
Team Canada winning the gold medal together. To me, it was like a celebration of this closing era in Canadian skating especially with Duhamel/Radford, Patrick, and Virtue/Moir retiring. I was happy for all the skaters who were able to medal at the team event, but in particular, I was glad the five of them were able to stand on a podium together.

Jedi

On the Ice
Gordeeva and Grinkov winning their second Olympic gold medal was memorable. And equally though sad seeing Katia skate on her own for the first time after Grinkov's untimely death. Seeing Oksana Baiul the orphan waif who was accidentally stabbed in the back by the backward jumping German girl winning olympic gold over Nancy Kerrigan in her 13,000 dollar Vera Wang. Joannie Rochette skating days after her mother's death in Vancouver in the short program and then fighting for bronze. Yuzu winning and Patrick winning their first world titles. Underhill and Martini winning the 1984 world title - the joy (okay some of these were youtubed). And of course MRRICE's wife Maria Butyrskaya skating a clean freeskate and winning the 1999 world title - and folks she won it. Even without Kwan's error Maria WON the gold. Virtue and Moir's reaction after their freeskate in Vancouver and Pyechong as well as Klimova and Ponomarenko winning OGM. Surya losing and taking off the silver medal.

Jedi

On the Ice
The Yuzuru-Javi Bromance makes me happy. I hope they are friends forever. It's so nice to see men be able to bond and express love for each other without everyone being all weirded out by it. Men from my generation are often uncomfortable even giving another guy a hug.

I think it was even better when they had that pisqueak little brother around Nam Nguyen before he grew a foot and foolishly changed coaches. So cute seeing them trying to get Nam to try a quad.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
So many moments. Of course, I was thrilled for V/M victories at the 2018 Olympics, their hard work and dedication paid off. The Canadian Team winning Gold, the team spirit shown during the team competition. Eric and Meagan in the Kiss and Cry realizing they won Bronze, but being overjoyed for the other two teams. Also Patrick Chan's reading a letter his mom and dad wrote him and his feeling of peace leaving the competitive skating world. Katelyn Osmond winning the Bronze medal after overcoming so many physical challenges in the last few years.

Manitou

Medalist
I understand the question is about my most emotional moments.
I will try (random order):
- Yulia's "Girl in Red"
- Aljona Savchenko in PyeongChang
- epic Evgenia/Alina duel in PyeongChang
- Oksana in Lillehammer
- Torvill/Dean in Saraievo

I haven't gone through WC and other competitions, so probably there would be plenty of others.

lappo

Final Flight
Another moving moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HReVQnp1GZA
Katarina Witt 1994 LP to "Where have all the flowers gone". In those years Sarajevo was in the middle of the conflict between Serbia and Bosnia and she did a tribute to the city where she won her previous OGM and all its victim; she knew she had no shot at medal but she trained nonetheless to be able to do this program at the Olympics.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Michelle Kwan’s Fields of Gold exhibition in Salt Lake gets me every time
Angela Nikodinov Nationals 2001
Mao in Sochi
Todd Eldredge putting his medal around his mothers neck in 1996
Rudy Galindo Nationals 1996
Meghan Duhmel hugging Aliona
Javi and Yuzuru

And finally Joannie Rochette Vancouver 2010

LucyH

On the Ice
Yuzuru getting in World podium one year after the earthquake (Romeo & Juliet 1.0 with both Nanami sensei and Yuzuru crying after the performance, podium) both moment when he realized he was Olympic Champion in Sochi , and the hold last group of men in Pyeongchang (the green room, Yuzuru´s performance, Javier and Shoma, Jin Boyang crying, the hug between the podium men, Borser doing his "you are doing amazing sweety" interpretation, and the plushy ceremony)
Mao LP in Sochi
Meryl and Charlie Sochi LP
Aljona Savchenko and Bruno LP in Pyenongchang
Mirai ex after knowing she was out of Olympic team in Sochi

Agree with all of these

Enero

On the Ice
Michelle Kwan (SLC) - I was happy with Sarah’s win, but my heart broke for Michelle. Her Fields of Gold exhibition was beautiful. So much heart.

Sasha Cohen (Turin) - I knew she’d fall at least once, but twice was shocking and heartbreaking. Ironically that was her best skate as Juliet. She put her whole heart into that performance. Very touching.

Alina/Bruno (Pyeongchang) After fighting for years to reach the top of the Olympic podium FINALLY she made it after that incredible skate. One of the most moving moments of Pyeongchang Olympics. IMO.

Hanyu (Sochi) - “I’m first?!” He stated in shock with a strong Japanese accent and childlike voice upon seeing his standings after Chan skated. Precious. Sigh.

Hanyu/Javi/Shoma (Pyeongchang) - Bro hug with Brian looking on like a proud dad while snapping pictures with his phone. It warmed my heart. Sigh.

Tulipstar

Medalist
V/M at the end of their Free Dance at the Olympics: two people who absolutely love each other and admire each other's skills.
Loved their reactions.

I think they must have felt weird when they stepped off the ice; the last steps of their competitive career.

pohatta

On the Ice
Sarah Meier at Europeans 2011. She looked like it hadn't even crossed her mind that she might win.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think pretty well every moment involving Meagan Duhamel at these Olympics warmed my heart and made me feel very happy. It legitimately almost brings tears to my eyes when I think about how I’ve read comments from SO MANY PEOPLE, who disliked her for whatever reason prior to the Olympics, who’ve had a change of heart and are now a fan. Her combination of sportsmanship, work ethic, empathy, and compassion for others is just phenomenal. She is very well spoken, knows all the rules by heart, and you can just genuinely tell she is probably one of the biggest lovers and advocates for this sport out there. I could see her getting involved in coaching, judging, management, administration - basically any and all professional opportunities that exist within Skate Canada and/or the ISU - and kicking butt at any of those positions.

It’s just unfortunate that so many people didn’t realize how awesome she was sooner, as she has now retired. I know not everyone is going to be a fan of every skater and their personality, but I feel like Meagan was used as a punching bag far more often than necessary, and I never quite understood all the shade.

Something else Meagan did that was awesome: She liked and replied to a comment that Yuzudaughter left on one of her Instagram posts. Yuzudaughter was over the moon when she saw it first. :hap93:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
This may be off topic since this is not the moment in the competition, but every time I think about Anna Pogorilaya, I remember this performance in Fantasy On Ice of 2017. She was emotional all through the performance and cried at the end, had beautiful hug with the singer. I'm looking forward to seeing her smile again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=92&v=4vPUkebSdo0

Together with that heartbreaking performance at World's of the same year, these pictures must be terribly moving overall. I haven't seen the FoI performance (which sounds like a happy, moving moment) but I remember World's only too well. I recall feeling so sorry for her. I'm hoping for her smile too!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Evgenia Tarasova after FS at Olympics...

Yes, that was heartbreaking, and it was a good thing the camera turned away to capture the emotions of the three medalling teams. Keeping it on her would have turned the K&C into a rather nasty voyeuristic scene.

For all that, I was moved by the heartbreaking disappointment of T, the very emotional (but in another sense altogether) respons of both S and M, the disappointment of S/H as well as their graciousness, and R/D's sportmanship all at once. I cried myself.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I never got the negativism about Shoma's reactions...he's just more introvert than others. But his coach is somewhat different. Wow! And he didnt seem unhappy or something, just less exuberant than others. Come to think of it, Javi moved me too...finally getting his Olympic medal..

Right. I don't get why people try to force their 'own' emotions about the Olympics on Shoma. In the german figure skating magazine he is described as "strangely emotionless". Okay. :disapp: There are several factors to think about. Fernandez - Of course, he is moved, these are his last Olympics, he gets the medal that's missing, he is happy with his skate. Yuzuru, no discussion, he won his second Olympic Gold medal after a tough season and an injury that almost crushed his dream. This is the goal he was working towards since Sochi, of course the emotions are on overdrive. Shoma was at his first Olympic Games. He wasn't super happy with his skate. It's not like he didn't care, but compared to the other two, this medal wasn't the big goal. And then, you cannot force emotions. They are either there or not.