Boot options--advice appreciated! | Golden Skate

Boot options--advice appreciated!

CoffeeFan

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Apologies in advance for this lengthy post.

This forum has been a wealth of knowledge and I have learned so much from reading here over the past few months.

Relevant background: I (re)started figure skating in January of this year, after a 20+ year hiatus. As a child, I only really got to the end of CanSkate (Canadian learn to skate program). Essentially I learned waltz jump and 1 foot spin and that was about it. Because I didn't get all that far, I've more or less had to start from scratch as an adult. What began as a once-weekly adult session (basically just a bunch of adults messing around for 45 minutes) quickly morphed into private lessons and testing StarSkate levels (Canadian figure skating program). Currently skating 3 times a week (3 hrs total weekly). I've got waltz jump, salchow, toe loop, loop, flip and will soon be working on lutz. Passed Star 1-3 skills and dance recently (and Star 1 free skate a few weeks ago). Spins are a different story--they're a mess. One foot is fine, but back spin is a disaster (very slowly getting better) and I can't seem to find the sweet spot for sit spins so I get max 2 revs before I lose balance and have to stand up.

Anyways, that brings me to the point of the post. In January when I first started I was using a pair of very old rec skates that had no support, so I quickly started looking into my first "real" pair of figure skates. Unfortunately, my city (and province) does not have a fitter, and of course as a total beginner I didn't know anything, so I went to a sports store that mostly deals with hockey skates but had a few Jackson figure skates. I went with the Jackson Freestyle (the highest model they carried) and in the store they seemed to fit snugly with some toe wiggle room. Got them heat-molded and off I went. Within a few weeks, however, I noticed that my heel was slipping in the boot. After reading on this forum, I realized they are too big (now that the padding has been compressed, I have tons of room in the front). I was able to temporarily mitigate the problem by wearing lace-bite gel pads at the ankle and tightening the crap out of the flex crease eyelet and first few hooks. Still doesn't feel awesome with the amount of space I have in the front but at least when I do toe jumps my heel isn't coming out as much. I wonder as well, if the improper fit (as well as the Aspire XP blade) might be contributing to my difficulty with spins. The boots themselves still have lots of support.

So I know that I need a proper fitting boot. Coincidentally, I will be moving at the end of June to a city where there are actual skate fitters--oh the luxury! I am hoping to get some advice on here about what models in particular I should be looking at, so I have some kind of idea when I go for a fitting. My feet are all kinds of messed up. I have a wide forefoot, courtesy of juvenile bunions (had them since childhood, but thankfully they don't bother me), as well as hammer toes and a flexible flatfoot. I have a greek-style foot, with a narrower heel. The Jackson Freestyles I'm currently in are an 8 wide (normal shoe size for me is 8-8.5, or 9 if I'm using the sneakers for running). My guess is the heel lift comes from either the heel being too wide or the overall length being too long, or both. 33 female, 5'5", approx 130 pounds. Strong legs from spin and running, although I’m not sure if my knee bend is super strong. I'm looking for a boot that will carry me through axel and beginning doubles, hopefully for 2+ years. From reading on here, it seems like I have a "Jackson" foot, and if I were to stay with that brand I think I'd be looking at the Premieres (please chime in if you think that is "overbooting" for me). But I'm wondering about other brands too, just so I have more than one option in case the Premieres don't fit right. Would Risport work for my foot? Perhaps the Royal Pro or RF3 Pro?

I think I've included all the relevant information in this post... if you read through to the end, major kudos and thank you. I appreciate any insights from this knowledgeable group!

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Apologies in advance for this lengthy post.

This forum has been a wealth of knowledge and I have learned so much from reading here over the past few months.

Relevant background: I (re)started figure skating in January of this year, after a 20+ year hiatus. As a child, I only really got to the end of CanSkate (Canadian learn to skate program). Essentially I learned waltz jump and 1 foot spin and that was about it. Because I didn't get all that far, I've more or less had to start from scratch as an adult. What began as a once-weekly adult session (basically just a bunch of adults messing around for 45 minutes) quickly morphed into private lessons and testing StarSkate levels (Canadian figure skating program). Currently skating 3 times a week (3 hrs total weekly). I've got waltz jump, salchow, toe loop, loop, flip and will soon be working on lutz. Passed Star 1-3 skills and dance recently (and Star 1 free skate a few weeks ago). Spins are a different story--they're a mess. One foot is fine, but back spin is a disaster (very slowly getting better) and I can't seem to find the sweet spot for sit spins so I get max 2 revs before I lose balance and have to stand up.

Anyways, that brings me to the point of the post. In January when I first started I was using a pair of very old rec skates that had no support, so I quickly started looking into my first "real" pair of figure skates. Unfortunately, my city (and province) does not have a fitter, and of course as a total beginner I didn't know anything, so I went to a sports store that mostly deals with hockey skates but had a few Jackson figure skates. I went with the Jackson Freestyle (the highest model they carried) and in the store they seemed to fit snugly with some toe wiggle room. Got them heat-molded and off I went. Within a few weeks, however, I noticed that my heel was slipping in the boot. After reading on this forum, I realized they are too big (now that the padding has been compressed, I have tons of room in the front). I was able to temporarily mitigate the problem by wearing lace-bite gel pads at the ankle and tightening the crap out of the flex crease eyelet and first few hooks. Still doesn't feel awesome with the amount of space I have in the front but at least when I do toe jumps my heel isn't coming out as much. I wonder as well, if the improper fit (as well as the Aspire XP blade) might be contributing to my difficulty with spins. The boots themselves still have lots of support.

So I know that I need a proper fitting boot. Coincidentally, I will be moving at the end of June to a city where there are actual skate fitters--oh the luxury! I am hoping to get some advice on here about what models in particular I should be looking at, so I have some kind of idea when I go for a fitting. My feet are all kinds of messed up. I have a wide forefoot, courtesy of juvenile bunions (had them since childhood, but thankfully they don't bother me), as well as hammer toes and a flexible flatfoot. I have a greek-style foot, with a narrower heel. The Jackson Freestyles I'm currently in are an 8 wide (normal shoe size for me is 8-8.5, or 9 if I'm using the sneakers for running). My guess is the heel lift comes from either the heel being too wide or the overall length being too long, or both. 33 female, 5'5", approx 130 pounds. Strong legs from spin and running, although I’m not sure if my knee bend is super strong. I'm looking for a boot that will carry me through axel and beginning doubles, hopefully for 2+ years. From reading on here, it seems like I have a "Jackson" foot, and if I were to stay with that brand I think I'd be looking at the Premieres (please chime in if you think that is "overbooting" for me). But I'm wondering about other brands too, just so I have more than one option in case the Premieres don't fit right. Would Risport work for my foot? Perhaps the Royal Pro or RF3 Pro?

I think I've included all the relevant information in this post... if you read through to the end, major kudos and thank you. I appreciate any insights from this knowledgeable group!
Hi and welcome!

First off....bend your knees that helps with EVERYTHING in skating.

Now, regarding boots. You are definitely going to need a split width boot. I immediately say Jackson (wider more than likely in toebox and you may need heat molding in areas where you have bunions). Look into the Synergy Elite (Stiffness rating 60), or you could try Premiere. Risport may work (they have multiple widths) in RF3 Pro or Royal Pro.

Blade, look into Coronation Ace or MK Pro.

Good luck!

CoffeeFan

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Hi and welcome!

First off....bend your knees that helps with EVERYTHING in skating.

Now, regarding boots. You are definitely going to need a split width boot. I immediately say Jackson (wider more than likely in toebox and you may need heat molding in areas where you have bunions). Look into the Synergy Elite (Stiffness rating 60), or you could try Premiere. Risport may work (they have multiple widths) in RF3 Pro or Royal Pro.

Blade, look into Coronation Ace or MK Pro.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for your advice!
When you say split width, do you mean a stock wide (like I have now with my freestyles), or do you mean something more custom? I guess it’ll depend on how each boot fits when I try them on. I know Jackson does rapid custom for a more custom split width, but does risport also offer that?

What is the main difference between Jackson premiere and synergy elite? Stiffness is fairly similar, but what jumps out at me is the price difference. Any particular reason to go with one over the other?

I plan on going with coronation ace, provided I can actually get my hands on it. I’ll probably try every Canadian skate dealer until I can find it. Would love to order ahead of time to decrease the wait time but of course can’t do that until I know my boot size 🤦🏻‍♀️

Do you mind if I DM you regarding fitters where I will be moving? There are two in the city I believe.

Thanks again!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
When you say split width, do you mean a stock wide (like I have now with my freestyles), or do you mean something more custom? I guess it’ll depend on how each boot fits when I try them on. I know Jackson does rapid custom for a more custom split width, but does risport also offer that?

What is the main difference between Jackson premiere and synergy elite? Stiffness is fairly similar, but what jumps out at me is the price difference. Any particular reason to go with one over the other?

I plan on going with coronation ace, provided I can actually get my hands on it. I’ll probably try every Canadian skate dealer until I can find it. Would love to order ahead of time to decrease the wait time but of course can’t do that until I know my boot size 🤦🏻‍♀️

Do you mind if I DM you regarding fitters where I will be moving? There are two in the city I believe.

Thanks again!
Just DM me and I'll answer all questions here if you include them as well as offering names of fitters. :)

thisismynewsport

Rinkside

Thanks again!
I’m from Canada too and know where to get Coronation Ace locally from my city or online Canadian retailers. I don’t mind sharing the info with you! You may DM if you’d like.