2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 949 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

christiana2

Rinkside
Technically, no. Actually, yes. She is Muscovite since birth and has dual citizenship. She doesn't speak Kazakh language (she's only half Kazakh and her family's language at home is Russian)

Elizabet isn't half Kazakh. Both her mother and father are ethnic Kazakhs.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
How could SS be 9th with a clean program? No respect for euro champ.

Top 11 can medal? Really?

What are prospects for Russia keeping 3 spots? I would think good.

Daleman at 11th has 7 points up to 2nd place.

Russia keeping 3 spots looks pretty good. PCS will save Zhenya/Alina if they have disaster skates on Friday.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
I think as long as Alina skates relatively clean she's got this on PCS. Both Alina's and Elizabet's TES in the FS is at round about 80 if they hit. So far, Alina still has the PCS advantage and the lead from the SP. Lilbet is her biggest threat though, I agree.

Not just on PCS. Looks like the TES judging isn't half bad for her either lol

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Zhenya is 4th after a clean-ish program (UR on the combination). Sofia is 9th with a clean program.
Anything can happen in the long. All top 11 has a chance to medal.

I am really surprised how well the Russians are holding up and that the most solid skater I thought is in 9th. It is concerning Evgenia (the long program only has more challenges) is Uring but I hardly expected Rika to be seventh. (Interesting the two faves - Rika and James and Cipres are seventh after underwhelming performances)

noraaa

Rinkside
It is concerning Evgenia (the long program only has more challenges) is Uring

To be fair this was a pretty borderline call and there were other URs not called for other skaters. Not that we should be unconcerned but the one UR 3T doesn't seem too dire for the free skate.

I'm glad to see all the Russian ladies put out strong skates!

Fluture

Record Breaker
To be fair this was a pretty borderline call and there were other URs not called for other skaters. Not that we should be unconcerned but the one UR 3T doesn't seem too dire for the free skate.

I'm glad to see all the Russian ladies put out strong skates!

In the past, Zhenya would probably not have got that 3T called. It really was a borderline call. To be honest, I saw more of an UR on the flip than the toe, the latter looked fine to me. There definitely were jumps that were more obviously UR and not called.

I‘m very happy with how Zhenya and the other two Russian ladies performed today. Russia should keep its spots easily. Alina is pretty much a lock for the podium after that SP and her score and Sofia is really consistent and could move up. Zhenya is in the middle somewhere, she seemed pretty confident today and I hope she can continue like this in the FS. However, I do see a problem with that UR call in the SP, especially given how many other ladies weren’t called, because it means the judges won‘t overlook anything anymore for her. I expect ! or even e on her lutz and since her combos are new and she doesn’t have muscle memories on them yet, she might UR and get calls, even if it‘s borderline like today. I hope for her to have great skates and post a season‘s best and I‘ll definitely root for her. I think she‘ll be 5th or 6th overall, Rika will very likely move up in the FS and round out a podium with Alina and Elizabet.

In the past, Zhenya would probably not have got that 3T called. It really was a borderline call. To be honest, I saw more of an UR on the flip than the toe, the latter looked fine to me. There definitely were jumps that were more obviously UR and not called.

I‘m very happy with how Zhenya and the other two Russian ladies performed today. Russia should keep its spots easily. Alina is pretty much a lock for the podium after that SP and her score and Sofia is really consistent and could move up. Zhenya is in the middle somewhere, she seemed pretty confident today and I hope she can continue like this in the FS. However, I do see a problem with that UR call in the SP, especially given how many other ladies weren’t called, because it means the judges won‘t overlook anything anymore for her. I expect ! or even e on her lutz and since her combos are new and she doesn’t have muscle memories on them yet, she might UR and get calls, even if it‘s borderline like today. I hope for her to have great skates and post a season‘s best and I‘ll definitely root for her. I think she‘ll be 5th or 6th overall, Rika will very likely move up in the FS and round out a podium with Alina and Elizabet.

Why are the judges suddenly harder on Zhenya than they were before? That was borderline and there were much more obvious URs that weren’t called. I hope they aren’t too harsh in the free.

Orlov

Medalist
Her father is Baitak Tursynbayev, that's not a Russian name. :confused: But I was corrected by another user, Elizabet's mother is Kyrgyz and father is Kazakh. Her mother states it quite clearly in an interview, https://rus.azattyk.org/a/27328845.html.

For me Lizabeth is russian. Her mother said in an interview "Before Canada[it's 2015], I lived in Moscow for 26 years." Lisa was born grew up in Moscow. She is a typical Moscow girl from an intelligent family. For me, this is just a way for such great countries as America (Paganini, Isadora Williams) or Russia to bypass the three quota limit (not for the countries themselves, of course, but for the figure skating community of these countries).

Fluture

Record Breaker
Why are the judges suddenly harder on Zhenya than they were before? That was borderline and there were much more obvious URs that weren’t called. I hope they aren’t too harsh in the free.

Well, I‘m not going to say what I really think because it won‘t sit well with the people in here, so, there‘s the other reasons I can think of: I‘d say she‘s going in as Russia‘s number three, she‘s had a rough season and her reputation‘s suffered.

It was borderline and the only reason why I found it weird was that there were other URs that were not called. I absolutely am for fair judging and calling of mistakes but I want this to happen for everyone.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Eteri is so powerful that she can demand a separate warmup group for her skaters only.

It is odd indeed, but could be a fluke on ISU's part.
Has this ever happened before? No doubt, other delegation leaders will protest this preferential treatment, unless there is a loophole in the rules.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
According to the new rules, there's less leeway on the URs this season.

They did not call many obvious URs with more than 90 degrees underrotation, while Zhenya's was borderline and could have passed as clean. The inconsistency in judging is what has people upset. If they want to be stricter on URs they should call everyone's equally.