2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 953 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Giltedge

Final Flight
:(

What a shame when the ugly thoughts start to emerge, like foul vapours from a fetid swamp. Irrespressible. It is a pity they cannot be held back at least until the championships are over.

Do people not want to clear away the murk and simply enjoy the skating, from the world's top skaters, while it lasts?

:pray:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Scott512, here's a timestamp of her saying those words. September 17. Zhenya was in Canada by June 17. :)

I mean, just imagine my thoughts in that moment. It was a very strong blow for me. It was as if her negating all of Zhenya's success before, as if she couldn't have done it herself. And that's as absurd as saying Alina was/is only skating well when Evgenia is competing too.

https://youtu.be/xpbMy5Qfcc0?t=128

So what? I agree with that. It's competition what drags most of us and in sport this works as well. That's why it is called competition after all.

Edit: I see Ed wrote that in more extensive way already.

alinaharry

On the Ice
I think this is a very interesting thing to think about, who you like and why. I like hearing different peoples thoughts because I think it almost humanizes everything a bit more and makes you think from their mindset. I personally have skaters I love and skaters who I really, really have a strong dislike for, for various reasons. Some make sense, and some don't. I guess for me, once I stop liking someone there's no going back, and I am that way in my personal life too. I would really be interested in a PM from Future or Vandeska or anyone if they are interested in discussing it more not in a thread.

On a different note: does anyone know how calculations for WS are done? I want to calculate where everyone will be next year after the FS tomorrow, however I am not 100% sure how to do it.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Actually is funny how the other circumstances sometimes affect who we are rooting for. For me it went the other way. I was a Zhenya fan, even after she moved to Orser I admired her commitent and her approach how she still want to improve her skating skills. The thing what made me to root more for Alina and Liza right now is the TAT involvement and her comments and Liza-staying-home-at-worlds (oh man, she could be the only lady to land 3As). I like Zhenya, I wish her the clean skate tomorow, I just cannot go over the Zhenya-TAT friendship:p

So some kind of similarity, you root less for Alina because of what Eteri said and I root less for Zhenya because of TAT. And at the end of the day, it just about two talented and hard-working girls who want to make theit dreams come true:) Good luck to both of them!

People have strange motives sometimes. BTW look at TAT, maybe I'm wrong, but from what I can understand to what is she saying it looks to me as if she would be slightly changing sides? And if she would be on Alina's side, would you stop to support Alina?

To all those who position me nearly as Zhenya "the person who doesn't like her", I would like to quote one of my very first comments on GS:

I have to send my gratulations to Alina, too. She is 15 and she is stunning lady in the red. Although I wished Zhenya would take the gold a little more, Alina's victory is well deserved. But I would be the happiest if both ladies took the gold. That never happened to me before.

The fact that I'm now so interrested in Alina is not some siding on "the right side of the battle" or because I would like or dislike persons like Eteri, TAT, Orser etc. Of course I have my personal opinion on everyone of them, but I did not become full supporter of Alina (which doesn't mean that I'm not glad when I see good skate from Zhenya - I liked her yestreday's SP a lot) just because some other persons, but because of Alina herself.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
In the meantime, politely remind you that some of the fans of Russian women may be tired of reading the same thing for the tenth time. Soon the FS - what predictions? :)

Azikin

Medalist
In the meantime, politely remind you that some of the fans of Russian women may be tired of reading the same thing for the tenth time. Soon the FS - what predictions? :)

Agreed. I think a Russian skater will win.. although maybe the one that is technically not a Russian skater.. ;)

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
Agreed. I think a Russian skater will win.. although maybe the one that is technically not a Russian skater.. ;)
We will have to wait and see, for me it is a huge risk that person is taking, it can go both ways . Cause from what I have read about the practices she fell and fell on that quad. So not sure if she should risk one tomorrow or not

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

Alina skates clean - 1
Evgenia skates clean or makes 1 mistake - 4-6
Sofia skates clean - 6-7

Fluture

Record Breaker
We will have to wait and see, for me it is a huge risk that person is taking, it can go both ways . Cause from what I have read about the practices she fell and fell on that quad. So not sure if she should risk one tomorrow or not

Well, we‘ve seen Sasha fall in practice and then land that quad in competition, so it goes either way. I have a feeling we‘ll see that quad and if we do, Alina will need a very strong skate to stay in first. I have no doubts that she will be clean, she looks better than she has all season, so I guess it‘s Alina, Elizabet and Rika/Kaori on the podium, what order we will see.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Actually is funny how the other circumstances sometimes affect who we are rooting for. For me it went the other way. I was a Zhenya fan, even after she moved to Orser I admired her commitent and her approach how she still want to improve her skating skills. The thing what made me to root more for Alina and Liza right now is the TAT involvement and her comments and Liza-staying-home-at-worlds (oh man, she could be the only lady to land 3As). I like Zhenya, I wish her the clean skate tomorow, I just cannot go over the Zhenya-TAT friendship:p

So some kind of similarity, you root less for Alina because of what Eteri said and I root less for Zhenya because of TAT. And at the end of the day, it just about two talented and hard-working girls who want to make theit dreams come true:) Good luck to both of them!
Thank you sir. That was an amazing post. So we'll stated.you are now an edge statesman!

noraaa

Rinkside

Maybe I am wrong but according to her planned layout I don't think she can afford not to at least attempt the quad! She already has 2 3S later in the program. Does the Zayak rule not apply if the 2nd instance of a jump is at the end of a combo? I don't know. Lizbet has a 4S, a 3S and a 2A-1Eu-3S planned. Might be better for her to fall on a 4S attempt than pop it and end up with an invalid pass instead!

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I would have had Zhenya and Alina at about equal. With a performance like this from Zhenya, there‘s literally no reason why she should be behind her, other than that Alina‘s the new Russian #1. .

I did enjoy Zhenya's SP and I am glad that she had a wonderful skate with fierce emotions that she is capable of. I did not see any UR - jumps looked clean. Hence, I believe that she wuzzrobbed 2-3 points and should be at par or slightly ahead of Kaori. But about equal with Alina who had one of the best SP skates of her life def. the best POTO? Come on. 3F-3T, 3Lo, 2A with a simple entry vs. 3Lz-3Lo, 3F with rippon, 2A from a crazy charlotte. Only jump BV gives Alina 3 lead points. And Alina is a somewhat better spinner - I did not hear alternative versions.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I did enjoy Zhenya's SP and I am glad that she had a wonderful skate with fierce emotions that she is capable of. I did not see any UR - jumps looked clean. Hence, I believe that she wuzzrobbed 2-3 points and should be at par or slightly ahead of Kaori. But about equal with Alina who had one of the best SP skates of her life def. the best POTO? Come on. 3F-3T, 3Lo, 2A with a simple entry vs. 3Lz-3Lo, 3F with rippon, 2A from a crazy charlotte. Only jump BV gives Alina 3 lead points. And Alina is a somewhat better spinner - I did not hear alternative versions.

Oh, I was talking about PCS only. It‘s very obvious that Alina is ahead overall, even if Zhenya‘s UR wasn‘t called. She is too far out of reach on almost everything in the technical aspects - BV, spins, jumps. I would say not in this particular step sequence because Zhenya has improved her skating skills and showed better emotions. However, you are definitely right that Alina should be ahead overall. I did not disagree about that at all! She was the strongest skater of the night and ended up in first place. Deservedly so. I would have had Zhenya in third place, actually, behind Alina and Kaori but in front of Elizabet.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Eteri is so powerful that she can demand a separate warmup group for her skaters only.

It was a fluke, the new competition schedule has 6 skaters in 4 flights as usual: http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1819/wc2019/data0205.htm

Tursinbayeva will be skating last, so the pressure is really on her.

#TeamTutberidze is not to be envied, with their two Gold Medal contenders competing almost head to head.
How can any trainer distance him/herself from the previous competitor when preparing the skate that counts for the medals for the next?
My full respect goes out to each and every Khrustalniy trainer and their professional attitude to their athletes.

The girls themselves will want to remain in their private cocoons of concentration and only meet each other after competition.
They train daily together, so know all about the minute details of each others' strengths and weaknesses.
But they give each other every chance to shine, to deliver their best skates under enormous pressure and will be happy with any outcome.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I thought Sofia was a bit underscored tbh, several points less than what she got at Euros. Hmmm.

I was so happy Zhenya had a good SP, have my fingers crossed she'll repeat that in the long. All those who wrote her off spoke too soon, maybe.

She's got some new found fire in her and I love how warm and encouraging her team are, she just needed time to adjust and build her confidence back up. She's still got a way to go to improve her technique but you can see the positive changes shining through.

LynsJ

On the Ice
I was so happy Zhenya had a good SP

She's got some new found fire in her and I love how warm and encouraging her team are, she just needed time to adjust and build her confidence back up. She's still got a way to go to improve her technique but you can see the positive changes shining through.

^^^ this [emoji7][emoji106]

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Really excited to see Samodurova perform her fs one last time! What time does the ladies fs begin tonight? I’m on eastern time in the US.