2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 332 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Yeah, I think she never showed her programs before test skates in the previous years either. I'm very excited to see the FS at the test skates, although I'd like to see it with the costume and a good camera asap too ahah

Me too! I am a greedy Zhenya fan :biggrin: :rofl:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Looking at how many skaters Eteri has and how many more she's gonna gain in the future (cause she loses many but the list of little girls wanting to work with her must be really long) i think it would be great if they could work with several different choreographers to explore different styles. Daniil is a hit or miss for me. He's created programs i've absolutely loved (Alina's Black Swan, Kostornaia's Stella's Theme, Sasha's Big Spender, Anna's new SP, Tarakanova's programs last season) but others i had a hard time appreciating. It's the same with every choreographer of course but having the same guy creating every program for all these girls could (in the future) cause the programs to look too similar. Or he could run out of ideas too who knows? :scratch3:
But Eteri herself gives many ideas in terms of choreography & programs so that should count as having two choreographers i guess...

One big factor i do believe Eteri prioritizes is the idea of choosing a choreographer that is okay to travel to Khrustalny and stay there for quite some time, instead of forcing the skater to travel abroad and visiting him/her basically interrupting the training.

They tried few years ago when they sent Julia and Adian to Marina Zueva in US and Sergei Voronov to Jeffrey Buttle, it didn't work or it was just a one year thing, so since then they decided to do everything "in-house". It's not that different from what Brian Orser does at the Cricket Club with Tracy and David after all.

Other coaches in Russia also do the same, most of the programs for Mishin skaters are choreographed by Tatiana Prokofieva, Svetlana Panova has Rafael Arutunyan's wife and Nadia Kanaeva,...

I think Daniil is doing well so far overall, if they want to change in the future, remember there is also Alexander Zhulin (he choreographed a couple of SPs for Evgenia in the past) in Moscow.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I wonder one thing about Evgenia. Before, when she was in Eteri's group, she could keep a track on how the other Russian competitors are doing, she knew Alina's strategy, success rate, mental state etc. Now when she is in Canada, I wonder if she has watched her SP and maybe analyzed it together with Brian to figure out how to top that technically and artistically when making her own SP...?
The same about the leaked videos of the juniors' test skates. The information about the Eteri skaters is easily accessible through social media and youtube but we got zero information about Evgenia at this point.

So my question is, do skaters and coaches keep an eye on the other teams to figure out at an early stage how to compose the programs and isn't it better to reveal your programs and skate them publicly as late as possible?

Yes and i'm a bit worried about the possibility of Evgenia showing up at Russian Nationals and being soo behind technically compared to the other skaters.

When she was with Eteri, basically she had an eye on the state of russian ladies every single day not just looking at Alina but also other potential future competitors, what jumps and combo they have. Now of course she can watch Test skates like us but it's different watching skaters from an outside perspective.

leoleo

Medalist
I forgot for one second that Evgenia changed her FS to Anna Karenina :hslap: she revealed AK at Dreams on Ice, that's why i was confused about her revealing it earlier last year :laugh: We'll wait for the test skates to see her new programs then!

KiraraChin

Medalist
Yes and i'm a bit worried about the possibility of Evgenia showing up at Russian Nationals and being soo behind technically compared to the other skaters.

When she was with Eteri, basically she had an eye on the state of russian ladies every single day not just looking at Alina but also other potential future competitors, what jumps and combo they have. Now of course she can watch Test skates like us but it's different watching skaters from an outside perspective.

The TCC way is to make the skaters focus on their own development, not on their competitors. That's why they separated Yuzuru and Javi in the run-up to the Olympics. As you probably remember, it turned out fine for both of them.

TGee

Record Breaker
The TCC way is to make the skaters focus on their own development, not on their competitors. That's why they separated Yuzuru and Javi in the run-up to the Olympics. As you probably remember, it turned out fine for both of them.
Yes. However it is a big transition, regardless of it having been Zhenya's preference and decision.

Zhenya had been in the role, as I understand, as the 'skater to catch' in Eteri's group.

At TCC, she will be experiencing a very different approach.

But when she arrives for test skate in Moscow with all the unconscious cues of familiar language, facilities and people, an emotional and psychological impact should not be unexpected.

We know however that Zhenya has great determination, and Brian Orser works with his skaters on motivation and sports psychology. My thought is that they will have prepared.

For those unfamiliar with it, here's a link to promotional material for a mental training App to help figure skaters that Brian partnered in.

http://www.peakperformanceskating.com

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
But neither have the same amount of internal competition as Zhenya... although if there’s anyone that’s driven and intrinsically motivated, it would be her.

andromache

Record Breaker
Knowing all of the ins and outs of Eteri's camp and everything about her rival's training didn't help Evgenia beat Alina last season. This seems like unnecessary hand-wringing. Evgenia has goals and she's going to do whatever she has to to do to reach them - but she also has realistic limitations (like I don't think we'll see her doing multiple quads per program like Trusova) and knowing what the juniors are capable of won't help her overcome what she may or may not be physically capable of.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Knowing all of the ins and outs of Eteri's camp and everything about her rival's training didn't help Evgenia beat Alina last season. This seems like unnecessary hand-wringing. Evgenia has goals and she's going to do whatever she has to to do to reach them - but she also has realistic limitations (like I don't think we'll see her doing multiple quads per program like Trusova) and knowing what the juniors are capable of won't help her overcome what she may or may not be physically capable of.

I agree. I don't know if you saw Zhenya's interview with Yagudin right after Olys. They talked about how difficult it is to train alongside your main rival, and how the psychological stress of watching their development on a daily basis might push the skater to force themselves and end up with an injury.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker

Evgenia has seen what the juniors are capable of, and I'm pretty sure she and her new team will be following the JGP to see what's going on there.

At the end of the day though, she needs to think about herself and her goals and figure out the best way to accomplish them. I doubt focusing on what her old training mates are doing on a daily basis would help her with that... she will do whatever she can to upgrade what she has and maximize her chances. It's not like seeing Sasha's 4Lz daily is going to suddenly make her able to also do a 4Lz too. She needs to work with what she has and play smart.

glassanimal

On the Ice

And now that she’s with Brian, she watches Yuzuru Hanyu on a regular basis. ;)

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
People from Eteri's team have said that they compete during practices, doing jump battles, look at and motivate each other, but when it comes to a competition, they focus on themselves and don't even watch others' skating.

I guess he is more expensive as well, with not much of a difference results wise.

I'm pretty sure the federation pays for choreographers (especially Russian ones) when it can get them important victories.

It is not that common for juniors to get choreo from "outside" the team

It's not that common to set senior records either. :biggrin:

the psychological stress of watching their development on a daily basis might push the skater to force themselves and end up with an injury.

And with a medal.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Guys! The season officially starts next week! And there's not one but two competitions! I can't wait!!