2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 439 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Maybe this season there won't be a clear leading lady. So far both Evgenia and Alina showed their vulnerability.

moriel

Record Breaker
Maybe this season there won't be a clear leading lady. So far both Evgenia and Alina showed their vulnerability.

yep, Osmond is taking a break too.
Alina, we honestly dont know so far, lets see her compete.

Several other girls look strong, but not sure how that will work.

TGee

Record Breaker
Tursynbayeva's highest SP score under Orser was 66.87. At Nepela she scored 69.99.
Medvedeva's highest SP score under Eteri was 81.61. At Autumn Classic she scored 70.98.
I would say the comparison does not favour Orser so far, considering both changed coaches nearly same time, and had same time to adjust to the changes and improvements.
Lil Bet did not take a several month hiatus from training. So, we are comparing apples and oranges at this point (as the English idiom goes).

That said, Lil Bet is clearly confident and has programs that work for her. She really suits a classical program better than many that the TCC team tried with her.

But I also see the lovely skating skills, clean jumps and tight, well centred spins she got at TCC.

Just as the TCC is building on the foundations built with Eteri, Eteri is building on foundations built by TCC.

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
... can Masha be the top Russian this season? :pray:

I mean she has her fiercy Santana and her elegant and beautifully summertime...

lichi

sui holding a deep edge
On the Ice
Tursynbayeva's highest SP score under Orser was 66.87. At Nepela she scored 69.99.
Medvedeva's highest SP score under Eteri was 81.61. At Autumn Classic she scored 70.98.
I would say the comparison does not favour Orser so far, considering both changed coaches nearly same time, and had same time to adjust to the changes and improvements.
I don't think you can compare Lil' Bet and Zhenya's situations. Bet used to train with Eteri, the amount of changes she had is no way comparable to Zhenya

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't think you can compare Lil' Bet and Zhenya's situations. Bet used to train with Eteri, the amount of changes she had is no way comparable to Zhenya

Also important point is that she ended up going to Brian because she was essentially forced to because Russian coaches weren't allowed to coach non-Russians during the Olympic year. It's kinda odd it took this long for her to return to Eteri, but it's not like she left her on terrible terms previously.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I think in the context of this particular season 'interesting' should be taken as an euphemism.

Isn't there a famous Chinese curse: May you lead an interesting life.

Sorry.. I looked it up: May you live in interesting times...

Last edited:

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
No word on Nugumanova? Or any of the B list ladies? I feel that Nugumanova has problems with toe jumps and that’s holding her back.

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
I think she’s always had problems with toe jumps (especially the lutz), but I think URs are really holding her down.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
So far, Evgenia's both programs look very generic, and actually terrible in Evgenia's standard. There is not much choreography going on to start with, and her "interpretation" does not look good, especially in the LP. The sp has a more distinct theme, but her movement could be much sharper, if I compare her sp with Mariah Bell's Chicago. I never thought the latter's program was that superb, but at least the movements were more jazzy. I really wish Evgenia worked with Shae-Lynn Bourne, who did wonders for Wakaba and Young You.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
... can Masha be the top Russian this season? :pray:

I mean she has her fiercy Santana and her elegant and beautifully summertime...
No because she's a UR machine.

It'll probably be Tuktamysheva. 2010-2011, 2014-2015, 2018-2019. The Tuktamysheva quad.

Otherwise, perhaps Panenkova. Depends on how fast her jumps detoriate.

So far, Evgenia's both programs look very generic, and actually terrible in Evgenia's standard. There is not much choreography going on to start with, and her "interpretation" does not look good, especially in the LP.
She just can't perform it at all. It's actually mind blowing how much I dislike the LP. I see there's a very good reason Eteri didn't let her do a Tango even though she wanted to.

alpaca

On the Ice
It's kind of mind-blowing how many people are declaring Zhenya's career to be completely dead because of ONE CS competition. Like, please calm down people.

When Yuzu had not so great showings in his first TCC season, it obviously goes to show that that was not the end of his career. Of course it's a bit different with Zhenya but some of y'all are just overreacting. I'm not the biggest fan of these programs - I actually loved the ones created for her during her time with Eteri. But I think we have to remember that Borser, Zhenya, and his team are not stupid. They obviously know about super juniors, Eteri, all that. Until it's been at least a whole season or even two, we've gotta stop jumping to conclusions that someone is over. It's not helpful nor is it very supportive towards anyone?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It's kind of mind-blowing how many people are declaring Zhenya's career to be completely dead because of ONE CS competition. Like, please calm down people.

When Yuzu had not so great showings in his first TCC season, it obviously goes to show that that was not the end of his career. Of course it's a bit different with Zhenya but some of y'all are just overreacting. I'm not the biggest fan of these programs - I actually loved the ones created for her during her time with Eteri. But I think we have to remember that Borser, Zhenya, and his team are not stupid. They obviously know about super juniors, Eteri, all that. Until it's been at least a whole season or even two, we've gotta stop jumping to conclusions that someone is over. It's not helpful nor is it very supportive towards anyone?

I think Evgenia will continue to be a gold medal contender in every event, but I'm not sure if she'll be super consistent like she was two seasons ago. She set an impossibly high standard of consistency that I don't know we'll see again in a long time; in 2015-16 she only lost one event, and in 2016-17 she didn't even lose a single SP or LP of the 15 she skated (Japan Open was only a LP).

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Orser said it...Orser said it...What is the problem? Zhenya will be better! They need time!

andromache

Record Breaker
Evgenia’s body has changed much more significantly than Lilibet’s has. Plus, Eteri is great at packaging junior ladies to seem mature without being out of their range - that is not to say that Lilibet is a junior, but she has been tricky to package because she has been senior for a few years but still has the appearance of a junior / has experienced very little body change.