2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 122 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Currently underway: All Japan Inter-high school competition-

(Group A of ladies' SP had finished yesterday)

Group B, skater #27 Kaori Sakamoto
3Lz+3T 2A CCoSp StSq 3F FCSp LSp
73.75 (into 1st)

Nice try with the Lz-T attempt! (NB: this competition adopts ISU Junior category rules, so Flip is the required solo jump in SP)

lzxnl

Final Flight
Currently underway: All Japan Inter-high school competition-

(Group A of ladies' SP had finished yesterday)

Group B, skater #27 Kaori Sakamoto
3Lz+3T 2A CCoSp StSq 3F FCSp LSp
73.75 (into 1st)

Nice try with the Lz-T attempt! (NB: this competition adopts ISU Junior category rules, so Flip is the required solo jump in SP)

I can't help but laugh at Kaori skating with Junior category rules for once after winning Senior Nationals and coming 4th at Senior GPF.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I can't help but laugh at Kaori skating with Junior category rules for once after winning Senior Nationals and coming 4th at Senior GPF.

Sakamoto went on to win by a healthy margin. Yuhana Yokoi finished second, and Yuna Shiraiwa rallied back from ninth in the short to edge out Mako Yamashita for the bronze.

The Winter Sports Festival is now ongoing. Possibly, but hopefully not, the last competition for Ayaka Hosoda.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Yay, we’ll see Mai Mihara again!

There could be some spoilers but I’m betting on a Japanese sweep.

Few people will bet against that. Rika and Kaori are far ahead and Mai is solid and up there. If one of them messes up, the most likely beneficiaries will be Korea’s Lim Eunsoo and Cui Ting from US. Cui is very inconsistent but I find her scoring potential to be higher than Bradie Tennell. Overall, none of them have the solid basic skating skills of the Japanese girls, so my wish is for everyone to skate clean and may the best person win. Mihara Mai deserves a solid big win but Rika’s 3As and Kaori’s stronger athleticism and bigger personality on ice makes them very hard to beat.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Mako Yamashita won the National Sports Festival junior division competition by a comfortable margin.

Senior standings after the short:

59.84 Hinano Isobe
56.77 Hina Takeno
54.77 Ayaka Hosoda
52.24 Yuka Nagai
50.59 Rin Nitaya
50.55 Miyabi Oba

Bit of a surprise on top, but Ayaka fell on her triple axel, and Yuka singled her scheduled triple lutz, so both still have room for improvement to stage a comeback.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Never saw this addressed: why was Yuna Shiraiwa plucked from the senior class for Junior Worlds, when Mako Yamashita did better in Nationals? Wasn't she also eligible to be chosen?

randomfan

Record Breaker
Never saw this addressed: why was Yuna Shiraiwa plucked from the senior class for Junior Worlds, when Mako Yamashita did better in Nationals? Wasn't she also eligible to be chosen?

I’m pretty sure people already talked about it earlier on this thread. If you’re looking for an official statement though, I don’t think there was one.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Mako Yamashita won the National Sports Festival junior division competition by a comfortable margin.

Senior standings after the short:

59.84 Hinano Isobe
56.77 Hina Takeno
54.77 Ayaka Hosoda
52.24 Yuka Nagai
50.59 Rin Nitaya
50.55 Miyabi Oba

Bit of a surprise on top, but Ayaka fell on her triple axel, and Yuka singled her scheduled triple lutz, so both still have room for improvement to stage a comeback.

Final results:
160.92 Hina Takeno
160.00 Yuka Nagai
157.98 Miyabi Oba
157.91 Ayaka Hosoda
154.17 Rin Nitaya
153.51 Hinano Isobe

Ayaka nailed her opening 3A-2T combo, but singled her following 3A and fell on a later 3S to miss the podium by 0.07. Such a wasted opportunity, and it would be a shame if she ended her career on that note.

Former Grand Prix participant Miyu Nakashio finished 11th, in what I assume will be her final competition.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist

I recall that Shiraiwa's assignment to JW was her choice (JSF offered the opportunity and Yuna accepted). On the other hand, Mako had been on the podium of JW before (whereas Yuna skated in JW before but was never on the podium).

Also, if Yuna does well enough, she will gain some points for her current world standing. After all, JW counts as ISU Championships. (And since Yuna already had two CS early on during the season, another B-competition will not help much with her WS anyway.)

skatenewbie

Medalist
I will bet on Kaori for gold again. So sad about Mai though, didnt expect that happen. But weirdly she got best PCS so far even with that botched combo, which imo deserved!

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Rika can still win, as she has before. 5th place seems to be her chosen SP spot, alas... I just hope the 3A in the short doesn't become a neurosis for her. Yes, I know she's injured but after so many mistakes on the same element it gets worrisome... Jennifer Thomas, give her strength! :bow:

mermaidfestavol3

On the Ice
I was watching NBC commentary this time, and I have to say the commentators came off a bit rudely about Mai. They called it a "practice skate" among other things, and really sharply criticized her smiling when facing the judges.... isn't that what you're supposed to do? Anyway I thought she did well considering her mistake on the combo, and I hope she can have an amazing redemption free (that music is so victorious during the StSq!). Rooting for Kaori, Mai, and Rika to skate the best they can tomorrow!