2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

Banri

Rinkside
Thank you for the report, Sai Bon! And I'm happy to hear Rika H plans to continue for 4 more years. She's always stood out the most for me, out of all the Japanese ladies. Go Rika! :party:

Hi surimi, did you hear this news?
Rika Hongo's new SP is "Kill Bill" (hiphop version?! some bloggers say so..) choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne! It seems SUPER COOL!! :rock:
source - https://twitter.com/figureskate_4A/status/991923502138605568/photo/1
photo in PIW - https://www.instagram.com/p/BiTJd-Kh_6Y/?taken-by=sponichitokyophoto

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I saw this on twitter. I'm going to copy here and highlight the ladies.

source: https://twitter.com/figureskatingm1/status/989857477234638848

Japan Skating Federation released it athlete development list for this year. It’s divided into 3 levels—Special, A, and B. The level determines how much money the skaters are given toward expenses and affects the likelihood of being sent to smaller international events. It’s based on skaters’ performance in the previous season. I’ll list the levels and skaters, plus indicate if there’s a change from last year in parentheses in this thread.

Special (top) level:
Yuzuru Hanyu
Shoma Uno
Keiji Tanaka
Kazuki Tomono (up from A)
Satoko Miyahara
Kaori Sakamoto
Rika Kihira (up from B)
Mai Mihara
Wakaba Higuchi
Mako Yamashita (up from B)

A Level (2nd-highest):
Daisuke Murakami
Mitsuki Sumoto
Ryuju Hino
Hiroaki Sato
Sena Miyake (up from B)
Tatsuya Tsuboi (up from B)
Rika Hongo (down from special)
Marin Honda (down from special)

Yuhana Yokoi (up from B)
Nana Araki (up from B)

B level (3rd level)
Sota Yamamoto
Jun Suzuki (new)
Kazuki Kushida (new)
Yuto Kishina
Shun Sato (new)
Kazuki Hasegawa (new)
Taichiro Yamakura
Yuna Shiraiwa (down from A)
Yura Matsuda
Rin Nitaya
Rinka Watanabe (new)
Tomoe Kawabata (new)
Riko Takino
Hanna Yoshida (new)

Pairs A level:
Suzaki/ Kihara
Miura/Ichihashi (up from B)
[No other levels for pairs this year]

Ice dance Special:
Muramoto/Reed

Ice dance A:
Komatsubara/Koleto (up from B)

Ice dance B:
Fukase/Tateno

Synchro A:
Jingu Ice Messengers

How significantly does this classification affect the skaters?

lovaticcanada

On the Ice

I think this makes Rika Kihara and Mako Yamashita the favourties for the host spot for NHK. Nothing else has changed, except that Yuna Shiraiwa might get zero assignments, even though she is higher ranked and higher season best than Rika Kihara. So Rika might get 2 spots after all at the expense of Yuna.

The other question is will Rika Hongo get 2 spots because skaters in WS24 are likely to get 2.

ioanna

Record Breaker
I saw this on twitter. I'm going to copy here and highlight the ladies.

source: https://twitter.com/figureskatingm1/status/989857477234638848

I posted this on page 26 and discussed a bit. The girls in the special category are probably more likely to have 2 GP assignments guaranteed, as well as challenger events; other than that it's a reflection of how JSF thinks their ladies have done this season. Marin, Rika H. and Yuna haven't produced the same results as the girls from "special" and it shows.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I posted this on page 26 and discussed a bit. The girls in the special category are probably more likely to have 2 GP assignments guaranteed, as well as challenger events; other than that it's a reflection of how JSF thinks their ladies have done this season. Marin, Rika H. and Yuna haven't produced the same results as the girls from "special" and it shows.

Sorry! I didn’t see that.
So does that mean Kihira is definetely turning Senior? And what about Mako? I’m not sure how old she is...
Anyway, I hope Kihira gets the NHK host spot... I know she didn’t get a JGPF medal or a JW medal but she was third place at Nationals... I’ll be surprised if they don’t give her the spot.

ioanna

Record Breaker
So does that mean Kihira is definetely turning Senior? And what about Mako? I’m not sure how old she is...
Anyway, I hope Kihira gets the NHK host spot... I know she didn’t get a JGPF medal or a JW medal but she was third place at Nationals... I’ll be surprised if they don’t give her the spot.
Mako turned 15 in December, she can compete in seniors next season. I think she's already achieved good results in juniors. While Rika didn't medal at JGPF or Jr Worlds, she had great domestic competitions and landing three 3A at Sr Nationals and getting that huge TES in the free (was it 79?) gave her the edge over Marin, Rika H and Yuna. JSF thinks it's better to invest in her this season and I think she deserves it.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Hi surimi, did you hear this news?
Rika Hongo's new SP is "Kill Bill" (hiphop version?! some bloggers say so..) choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne! It seems SUPER COOL!! :rock:
source - https://twitter.com/figureskate_4A/status/991923502138605568/photo/1
photo in PIW - https://www.instagram.com/p/BiTJd-Kh_6Y/?taken-by=sponichitokyophoto

Yes, thank you, I saw this photo on the internet, and I'm very excited. :hap93: Rika H never ceases to surprise me with her great choices for programs. (Ok, Lawrence of Arabia didn't work for me for more than one reason, but that's the exception that confirms the rule) They should give her extra points just for the programs :luv17:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Yes, thank you, I saw this photo on the internet, and I'm very excited. :hap93: Rika H never ceases to surprise me with her great choices for programs. (Ok, Lawrence of Arabia didn't work for me for more than one reason, but that's the exception that confirms the rule) They should give her extra points just for the programs :luv17:

I agree with you about Rika H's programs. I love her willingness to try new and different music and movement each time. For me, she is so fun to watch.

Last edited:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I agree with you about Rika H's programs. I love her willingness to try new and different music and movement each time. For me, she as so fun to watch.

Not to mention she and Wakaba are the sassiest of the senior Japanese ladies right now, and both are more than able to sell something like Kill Bill. :cool14:

charlotte14

Medalist
I guess this means both will turn senior.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Sounds like a great program. I really like Rika, and as one of the 'elder' skaters who have been harshly punished in the past seasons, I hope she won't be completely written off. She's a character on ice!

readernick

Medalist
Mako turned 15 in December, she can compete in seniors next season. I think she's already achieved good results in juniors. While Rika didn't medal at JGPF or Jr Worlds, she had great domestic competitions and landing three 3A at Sr Nationals and getting that huge TES in the free (was it 79?) gave her the edge over Marin, Rika H and Yuna. JSF thinks it's better to invest in her this season and I think she deserves it.

Yes, I agree. She is the skater who has the most potential to dominate among the Japanese ladies. The Japanese federation understand this. She is, after all, able to land a 3A+3T and her artistry improve by leaps and bonds last season. She does not underrotate and she has correct edges on all of her jumps. However, she does lack confidence and , as a result, consistency. I hope Hamada can help her to improve her mental strength and confidence. If not, she may end up like Marin next season.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Outside Satoko Mie Hamada has not really consistent skaters. It's weird.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Outside Satoko Mie Hamada has not really consistent skaters. It's weird.

Rika Kihira has been attempting some risky layouts and Yuna Shiraiwa has had multiple injuries. Even Satoko wasn't her super consistent self this season, coming back from injury.

dansams

Rinkside
I don't think hard work means nerves of steel.

Hard work helps w/ consistency. Nerves of steel is partly God given and partly due to training and confidence that comes w/ knowing your craft due to hard work.