2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

sheetz

Record Breaker

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Also... injuries are a part of top professional sports. To be honest, it's bizarre to me how over-protective people are of people who they have no relation to. Injuries can happen on far easier jumps as well, or even on things that have nothing to do with jumps. I think that if Alysa Liu actually wants to up the level of technical prowess in USA, she needs to be supported and commended. No, she's not going to stop practicing 3As because people are "concerned" so just be supportive and positive instead.

This I definitely agree with. Rigorous training can cause injuries but so can small things you wouldn't even think about. In 2014 Kaetlyn Osmond broke her leg trying to avoid hitting another skater in practice. That same year Liza T tripped in her program at the Russian Cup Final and ended up tearing a ligament in her ankle. It's not always the risky/difficult moves that lead to injury.

I think it's okay to let the younger skaters try the more difficult jumps but they need to be monitored so they don't overdue it. That's where the coach being concerned for the skater's well-being comes into play. When coaches allow skaters to drill really difficult jumps unchecked it can be detrimental to the skater. I've read where some coaches only allow a specific number of tries on an element before they pull the plug. The skater is able to work on upping their content and preserving their body.

As long as it's done right, I'm okay with it.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It remains to be seen in what state the Russian prodigy skaters who are now doing quads, 3As and backloaded programs will be. Also - will we remember their names in a year, two or five when new ones appear on the scene - will we even care to ask if they have consequences from their training.

This is a good point. Liza was doing nice looking 3A's in practice at age 12, then didn't do them for several years, followed by landing several consistently over a few month period when she won everything, then back to not landing them in competition successfully. I don't foresee one woman being able to land 3A's or quads consistently over her senior career.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
By the way - does anyone know what's with Tyler Pierce? I know she was injured and since then no information about her

No indication regarding her skating career, but I think Tyler is in Rohene's new photo today -- hanging out with other familiar U.S. men too:

Quite a few ladies will have to bomb for Alysa to win Sr. Nat's but there is a high possibility she'll be on the podium if she goes clean. :agree2:

FWIW: In case anyone missed it, Alysa eventually said in one of her sarahah responses that top three among seniors at Nats is her goal.

ETA:

Finally the other shoe has dropped regarding Skate Dallas results.

The event website had a glitch before, and the first and second pages of results originally were not published -- only the third, which had FS results.

The first two pages of results now have been published.
Posting here the SP results from the first two pages.

Senior Ladies SP

1 Amber Glenn, Dallas FSC 65.67
2 Hanna Harrell, Dallas FSC 57.07
3 Vivian Le, Los Angeles FSC 51.12
4 Ashley Lin, Dallas FSC 47.56
5 Paige Rydberg, Broadmoor SC 37.80​

Junior Ladies SP

1 Jessica Lin, Dallas FSC 56.23
2 Akane Eguchi, Dallas FSC 51.53
3 Stephanie Ciarochi, Dallas FSC 44.36
4 Mandy Chiang, All Year FSC 43.58
5 Maryn Pierce, Dallas FSC 41.08
6 Wren Warne-Jacobsen, St. Paul FSC 35.79
7 Katherine Nguyen, Dallas FSC 34.59
8 Bow Bagley, El Paso FSC 33.63
9 Nikolett Albrechtovics, Broadmoor SC 31.01
10 Rozina Taguchi, Dallas FSC 29.43
11 Jamie Hathaway, Dallas FSC 29.39
12 Esmie Otter, Dallas FSC 28.57
13 Kelly Arnett, Broadmoor SC 23.24

W Madison V. Nguyen, Dallas FSC
W Olivia Jaschke, Memorial FSC Of Houston​

Today Amber posted video of herself from Skate Dallas:

MarinHondas

Final Flight
No indication regarding her skating career, but I think Tyler is in Rohene's new photo today -- hanging out with other familiar U.S. men too:

FWIW: In case anyone missed it, Alysa eventually said in one of her sarahah responses that top three among seniors at Nats is her goal.

I don’t think Tyler is currently skating to be quite honest.

That’s a good goal for Alysa. A goal she’s capable of. She will be sent to some novice internationals this season? Right? She placed second at both the ones she was sent to last year. Which was great. I don’t think 3a’s are allowed in novice and there are some other technical limitations for her but it’s still nice experience.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
OMG there are already summer competitions going on?!?!?!? I had no idea!
What is amber’s music this season?

And poor thing, Paige Rydberg.☹️

Karen apparently isn’t switching coaches? Darn.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There are always club competitions going on. But there are a number of major competitions coming up starting in June.

Here's the schedule for June/July:

06/19-23 Broadmoor Open
06/20-23 Chesapeake Open - Singles and Dance
06/22-24 Grand Rapids Open
06/28-7/01 Lake Placid Championships (singles)
07/06-08 Los Angeles Open
07/11-15 Skate Milwaukee
07/12-15 Cactus Classic
07/13-15 Cannon Texas Open
07/17-21 Skate Detroit - Singles and Pairs
07/18-22 Skate Wilmington
07/24-27 Lake Placid Ice Dance Competition
07/26-29 Chigago Open
07/26-29 Glacier Falls Summer Classic
07/26-29 Minto Summer Skate (Canadian)
07/30-08/05 Philadelphia Summer Championships

frida80

Record Breaker
Amber SP score of 65 is very promising. I think the. Bradie effect is happening already!

Last year Bradie kicked off the season with a great score of 188 in May. That score was much higher than her 2016-1017 best of 160. She went on to win two more summer competitions and then won her senior B come Philly International. That guaranteed her the SA spot, and the rest is history.

I never bought that hyped idea that Bradie is super consistent. From what I could tell from her protocols, by the Lombardia Trophy she was simply super prepared. She’s competed in four competitions by then and had worked out all the kinks in her program. When the pressure kicked in, that was another story...

What I hope to see this summer is more skaters that want to follow. Bradie’s example and trying to prove themselves by winning summer completions with high scores. This internal competition will lead to better results from all skaters when they realize the must fight for their spots internationally.

andromache

Record Breaker
Amber SP score of 65 is very promising. I think the. Bradie effect is happening already!

Last year Bradie kicked off the season with a great score of 188 in May. That score was much higher than her 2016-1017 best of 160. She went on to win two more summer competitions and then won her senior B come Philly International. That guaranteed her the SA spot, and the rest is history.

I never bought that hyped idea that Bradie is super consistent. From what I could tell from her protocols, by the Lombardia Trophy she was simply super prepared. She’s competed in four competitions by then and had worked out all the kinks in her program. When the pressure kicked in, that was another story...

What I hope to see this summer is more skaters that want to follow. Bradie’s example and trying to prove themselves by winning summer completions with high scores. This internal competition will lead to better results from all skaters when they realize the must fight for their spots internationally.

Gosh, I love Amber Glenn, and I love the little I've seen of her SP on Twitter, but man, the girl is a total headcase who bombs pretty often. I love everything about her skating (though her jumps look weaker than they used to, IMO) and she's a great performer. But I have stopped getting my hopes up about her. Just enjoy her when she skates well and :hopelessness: when she doesn't.

Anyway, I do buy the Bradie consistency hype (though she was also super prepared all season). But it's easy to think someone is super consistent when the rest of their peers are as hot-and-cold as the rest of the US ladies.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Speaking of Bradie, is she doing any summer shows or touring? I'd like to keep track of how she's doing. To me, she was the clear US #1 last season and I hope she's not a one hit wonder.

frida80

Record Breaker
Speaking of Bradie, is she doing any summer show or touring? I'd like to keep track of how she's doing. To me, she was the clear US #1 last season and I hope she's not a one hit wonder.

She's doing stars on ice with the everyone else right now. There are videos of her online. Tonight she'll be in Arizona, then Aneheim the next. I think there's one more week of SOI.

I don't know if she got an invite to a Japanese show yet.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
She's doing stars on ice with the everyone else right now. There are videos of her online. Tonight she'll be in Arizona, then Aneheim the next. I think there's one more week of SOI.

I don't know if she got an invite to a Japanese show yet.

Not as far as I know. Actually, I don't think any US ladies have been announced for any of the shows this summer outside of the US. The only NA ladies I've seen for those shows are Kaetlyn on Japan and both her and Gabby in South Korea.

Part of the problem is that SOI USA conflicts with SOI Japan, whereas SOI Canada doesn't.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Speaking of Bradie, is she doing any summer shows or touring? I'd like to keep track of how she's doing. To me, she was the clear US #1 last season and I hope she's not a one hit wonder.

I don’t think she will be; from what I saw in an early SOI show (Allentown) I was impressed with her performance skills. Yes, performance skills, I think she projected well, and I really didn’t see where she was so far behind the other ladies, including Ashley. And unlike the other ladies, she wasn’t doing any sexy, flirty numbers, so she really had to depend on performance and not sass to carry her through. I am hoping this experience helps in her competitive season:clap:

frida80

Record Breaker
Not as far as I know. Actually, I don't think any US ladies have been announced for any of the shows this summer outside of the US. The only NA ladies I've seen for those shows are Kaetlyn on Japan and both her and Gabby in South Korea.

Part of the problem is that SOI USA conflicts with SOI Japan, whereas SOI Canada doesn't.

Mirai got an invitation to a show in July.