2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 73 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I fully agree that both the questions you raise are important points to be addressed. I wonder whether a single run-through early in the season is the best way to assess them, or whether visits by USFS officials or--if enough trust could be created--honest conversations with coaches and skaters about a Plan B or about gradually increasing difficulty over the season might give better information and results. Ideally by August everybody would be prepared to skate their full competitive programs, but I can imagine that all sorts of situations might make that impossible. With several skaters joining Stars on Ice for the first time (I think) in this post-Olympic year, for example, I imagine that a number of Champs Camp attendees have had different off-season and summer training schedules than they're used to, and may still be gaining the comfort with their programs that they would normally expect to have at this point. (I'm really thinking here of the poster who mentioned that it was said that Bradie was doing doubles.)

Another "best of both worlds" scenario, though this might be too time-consuming: wouldn't it be great if the skaters could spend one day doing their programs individually for feedback, marking jumps if necessary to show the choreography to its best advantage, and another day having a simulated competition, doing their full planned content and being marked accordingly?

But Bradie did all her jumps with the new programs at a summer comp. So it would be weird for her to only do doubles at Camp. Unless she's dealing with a minor injury.

frida80

Record Breaker
The main reason people would chose not to do jumps at champs camp is the altitude. By the time they got to jump #4, they'd be ready to collapse.

Even so, champs camp is kind of a joke and needs to be revamped.

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Hi folks!
Just a blanket reminder:pray:

Please keep all competition chat in the Competition forums. This includes scores, starting orders, elements, links to videos, etc. Once the event is over, feel free to discuss in other Fan Fest, national threads, etc.

Should we find that folks are still discussing competition info in these threads, said threads will be closed until after the competition.

Thanks for you understanding and for supporting Golden Skate!

mrrice

Record Breaker
I remember last season it was said that at champs camp they didn’t even request to see Ashely’s la la land and just said yeah that’s fine go back to moulin rouge. Now wouldn't a federation, heading into Olympic season want to at least see some kind of run through of their biggest and most advertised lady’s new program?? Before making a decision to go back to a program that’s been used twice already? That always seemed so strange to me. And it proved to be a bad call in the end. Maybe feedback on new programs isn’t a priority for champs camp🤷🏻*♀️

This is an excellent comment. Even skated perfectly Moulin was used twice and I believe that had she stayed focused on the new program from the beginning they could have made adjustments to La La Land and she would have been ready for Nationals. An Olympic year was not the time for a mid season change. It's a done deal but, it's a lesson for other skaters not make the same mistake.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have no idea if Champs Camp needs improvements or not, since I’ve never been there.

Based on interviews with men, it appears they watch programs, watch run throughs as the skater chooses to skate them, and give feed back. Skaters have switched programs after Champs Camp where it actually seemed to turn out right (again, using Jason as the skater I’m most familiar with, after they saw his Secret Garden SP in 2016 he was advised to change to something else, he skated his Sam Smith exhibition, the judges said that’s better, and he made Sam Smith his SP. He did quite well with that SP. Would he have done better with Secret Garden? who knows.) So I’m not seeing where this “they’re not watching programs, they don’t get it” comes from?:confused:

And sometimes I think the pushback on Champs Camp is they are having fun, they are filming fluff, they are actually laughing, those slackers, those good for nothings, those utter losers:sarcasm:

And if only they spent all that time on programs and triples and triples and programs, we’d be winners winners winners :sarcasm:

Oh puh leeze. I think not:disapp: I actually think, from what I can tell, for what it is supposed to do, (ETA: look at programs as a whole, give the skaters time to get together in a non-competition environment, and marketing) it does that. And I think those things are important to do.

the minute it is jump da jump jump Camp, I personally would be a lot less interested.... :bed:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
And a lot of what happens in Champ Camp is not even shown to the public -- not just the monitoring sessions, but all the training/education sessions -- so it's really hard to form an opinion on it, at least for me.

The fluff stuff honestly is just that -- stuff they can show with the public, have fun with. I don't think it even speaks to what really goes on there.

frida80

Record Breaker
I have no idea if Champs Camp needs improvements or not, since I’ve never been there.

Based on interviews with men, it appears they watch programs, watch run throughs as the skater chooses to skate them, and give feed back. Skaters have switched programs after Champs Camp where it actually seemed to turn out right (again, using Jason as the skater I’m most familiar with, after they saw his Secret Garden SP in 2016 he was advised to change to something else, he skated his Sam Smith exhibition, the judges said that’s better, and he made Sam Smith his SP. He did quite well with that SP. Would he have done better with Secret Garden? who knows.) So I’m not seeing where this “they’re not watching programs, they don’t get it” comes from?:confused:

And sometimes I think the pushback on Champs Camp is they are having fun, they are filming fluff, they are actually laughing, those slackers, those good for nothings, those utter losers:sarcasm:

And if only they spent all that time on programs and triples and triples and programs, we’d be winners winners winners :sarcasm:

Oh puh leeze. I think not:disapp: I actually think, from what I can tell, for what it is supposed to do, it does that. And the minute it is jump da jump jump Camp, I personally would be a lot less interested.... :bed:

That not how I feel at all. I think the fluff and bonding good for moral. My issue is that it’s way too late. Champs camp was fine when the season technically started late October and senior B were used for warm up. Now I strongly feel since most skater will be skating at a senior B, there is just no time to change a program and have it ready by October. They need to move this back to the end of June, if they want to actually advise people to change a whole program.

There’s a LOT more I have problems with, but I’m watching the JGP so maybe later.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Probably a repeat. Pooja or Gabriella. If Hanna has recovered, they will pencil her in. She just got on the ice for the first time the other day.

Oh.

I'm assuming they're pulling Audrey from her second event and slotting in someone else. (Coppess?)

But, depending on next week, both of them might get second events.

andromache

Record Breaker
Audrey's current second spot should go to Pooja. Pooja has a higher score than Ting and skated cleaner. But Ting showed a lot of potential too and should keep what is currently her second spot.

The last spot should go to Gabriella if she skates well at her first assignment, or Hanna if healthy, or someone else.

frida80

Record Breaker
Audrey's current second spot should go to Pooja. Pooja has a higher score than Ting and skated cleaner. But Ting showed a lot of potential too and should keep what is currently her second spot.

The last spot should go to Gabriella if she skates well at her first assignment, or Hanna if healthy, or someone else.

Agreed.

jFarrisFAN

On the Ice
Coppess has been mostly consistent the whole summer. None of the USA girls will make the final so I’d give 1 spot as a repeat for either ting or pooja and then give the other to Coppess. It’s better to give another person a chance in my opinion especially if none of the girls will make it to final.

oly2018

Final Flight
I think Pooja should get the repeat spot. She could really use the international experience. Ting has years left on the junior circuit.

frida80

Record Breaker
I think Pooja should get the repeat spot. She could really use the international experience. Ting has years left on the junior circuit.

Ting will be moving on next season. Hopefully by the end of this season she should have high enough WR and WS to nan two GP spots.

oly2018

Final Flight
Ting will be moving on next season. Hopefully by the end of this season she should have high enough WR and WS to nan two GP spots.
Ahhhhhh. I didn't realize that. I feel like all of this shows how we have not managed junior ladies well enough.

siela

On the Ice
I have a question and hope somebody will be able to clarify things to me on the matter since I am a little bit confused.
If I understood correctly, there will be no novice and lower level skaters at US nationals this year. On the other hand, the decision was to increase the number of entries in juniors. And some summer club comps were supposed to be used as qualifying events to junior nationals. Now, that the summer is over, what is the results of this qualification? Have any junior ladies already qualified to nationals? Or, probably, I misunderstood something and the system works in a different way? Or these rules will come in force starting next season?

frida80

Record Breaker
I have a question and hope somebody will be able to clarify things to me on the matter since I am a little bit confused.
If I understood correctly, there will be no novice and lower level skaters at US nationals this year. On the other hand, the decision was to increase the number of entries in juniors. And some summer club comps were supposed to be used as qualifying events to junior nationals. Now, that the summer is over, what is the results of this qualification? Have any junior ladies already qualified to nationals? Or, probably, I misunderstood something and the system works in a different way? Or these rules will come in force starting next season?

That’s next year. This is the last year for juvenile to novice nationals.