2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 77 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

sheetz

Record Breaker
Not sure about her training condition, but it looks like she is far from ready for the season, a fall on 2A, no combo...unless the video is from early in the summer.

That was filmed first weekend of August so she's had plenty of time to work on things.

oly2018

Final Flight
I love Mariah, but that program feels super dated. I still hope she comes out fighting though because she has all the ingredients, she just needs to put them together.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Why is Audrey Shin re-assigned to Ljubljana? (I can see them not sending Coppess, but why not give Kalyan a second event instead?) :scratch:

andromache

Record Breaker
Why is Audrey Shin re-assigned to Ljubljana? (I can see them not sending Coppess, but why not give Kalyan a second event instead?) :scratch:

Has Audrey been re-assigned to it or was she assigned to it from the beginning? (I feel like Audrey was just a placeholder in a second event and could still be? Idk. I could be mis-remembering.)

Audrey should NOT have a second JGP. Pooja should. If Pooja was unable to do a second event, then send someone else.

frida80

Record Breaker
Has Audrey been re-assigned to it or was she assigned to it from the beginning? (I feel like Audrey was just a placeholder in a second event and could still be? Idk. I could be mis-remembering.)

Audrey should NOT have a second JGP. Pooja should. If Pooja was unable to do a second event, then send someone else.

She’s always been assigned.

I see USFS is doing something different this year. In previous years if you underperformed they would give your second spot away. Now it looks like they’re determined to give favored girls more experience by locking their spots in. I suspect it has something to do with Audrey, Ting and Gabriella going to monitored competitions and competing with both their short and long programs there. Pooja skated just her short at Broadmoor but didn’t do a full competition at Broadmoor, Skate Detroit, Glacier Falls, or Philly champs. That may be why she only got one spot instead of two.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Not skating her FS at a summer comp shouldn't put Audrey ahead of Pooja. Pooja was nearly 30 points ahead of Audrey, and several places ahead as well. There's simply no excuse for Audrey to have a second one without Pooja having her second one.

frida80

Record Breaker
Not skating her FS at a summer comp shouldn't put Audrey ahead of Pooja. Pooja was nearly 30 points ahead of Audrey, and several places ahead as well. There's simply no excuse for Audrey to have a second one without Pooja having her second one.

I didn’t say I agreed with it. I hate it for Pooja as well. She did a near clean competition. She should be rewarded for it. I hope she will be assigned some challengers this fall.

andromache

Record Breaker
I didn’t say I agreed with it. I hate it for Pooja as well. She did a near clean competition. She should be rewarded for it. I hope she will be assigned some challengers this fall.

Is it possible for Audrey to be switched out for Pooja still? What is the deadline?

Audrey had the worst showing of any US girl on the JGP so far this season. If USFS is determined to give her a second event, they really need to rethink their strategy.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
There isn’t anything on the USFSA assignments page for Slovenia yet, so it’s not a done deal yet.

frida80

Record Breaker
I said it before and I will say it again.
USFS is making lots of assessments this year that seem random.

It’s been that way for years. They need to quit it and make a clearly defined protocol for choosing and stick with it. It’s not fair to the skaters.

andromache

Record Breaker
It’s been that way for years. They need to quit it and make a clearly defined protocol for choosing and stick with it. It’s not fair to the skaters.

For the time being, it should be as simple as: 1. anyone who medals at their first JGP gets a second spot, 2. if no one medals in the first 4 JGP events, the 3 ladies with the highest scores AND a ratified, rotated 3-3 in their first event get to have a second spot. 3. if among the top 3 scorers there is any lady who does not have a ratified, rotated 3-3, that second spot will instead be taken by someone new who has not yet had a JGP event.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Agreed. But i"m not sure how many US ladies have ratified 3-3 combinations regardless of age.

Without a 3-3, I don't think a skater would qualify for the JGPF anyway. In that case, I think it's probably better for two skaters to get two spots so they get the experience and the USFSA can see how more skaters are able to handle the pressure.

bennorii

On the Ice
The USFS assignment page has been updated. Izzo is slated to compete in Slovenia. This leads me to believe that the fed is giving second assignments by ranking points.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
The USFS assignment page has been updated. Izzo is slated to compete in Slovenia. This leads me to believe that the fed is giving second assignments by ranking points.

Looks like it. Despite a lower score than Pooja, Izzo placed 5th and Pooja 8th.

skatenewbie

Medalist
isn't Pooja should get 2nd assignment rather than Audrey then? Pooja placed 8th and Audrey 11th.... Pooja also done a clean 3-3 in her FP as well

schizoanalyst

Medalist

Unless there is an obvious candidate, a lot of times this comes down to how successfully a coach manages to advocate for their skater. Sometimes that's a personal connection to committee members, but sometimes it's just some coaches are better at making the argument. Obviously, it should be a standardized process with an exception for some significant talent with a freak day (e.g. imagine Gogolev's disaster happened at the 1st event).

(at least this is how it was when I had access to some small second-hand knowledge of this process, years ago, but I doubt any of that has changed).

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
So here we are . . . 4 ladies into the JGP and Pooja Kalyan still has the highest score.

You see. This is how she finished 2nd above Cui & Izzo at Junior Nationals last season. Not spectacular. But solid. Meanwhile both Cui & Izzo have been confirmed for a second berth. I can see Cui being selected over Pooja based on potential & Junior Worlds; but not Izzo. If she's getting a second berth, I would think Pooja should be getting one herself. They can't possibly ignore her alongside both those young ladies when she has the highest score and the highest finish from last year's Junior Nationals, can they? Provided she's healthy. Izzo has a higher placement but she lost to essentially the same girls in her event. Jihun To finished right above both her and Kalyan. And if Yokoi and Leung had been in Canada, it's fairly safe to say Gabriella couldn't have held them back either. (She has no triple triple). I could certainly see USFSA going with Cui, Izzo, and Kalyan. Think they've separated themselves a bit from the field at home. (Except I find Izzo's free skate a question mark based on a couple times when she has really dropped in the standings with it). If Pooja doesn't go on the list, I'd wonder if something has happened?