Gracie Gold training for a comeback? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold training for a comeback?

kolyadaverybest

Match Penalty
The so-called quad revolution is a few years off (if ever). Gracie at her best could compete with anyone in the world.

This has been repeated for years, but it was never really proven. Gracie never won a medal at worlds, or even merely the GPF. And I know some of that is her making mistakes, but a lot of other skaters make mistakes and win medals. Heck Nancy Kerrigan was a mess her whole career except the 94 Olympics and,still won another Olympic medal and a bunch of world and other medals. Osmond won silver at worlds last year and gold this year with a lot of mistakes. If Gracie were really that great she would have at some point too, and she pretty much would have to given her inability to ever do many clean programs even at whatever is considered her peak.

What we do know is Gracie has never done programs that score even close to Medvedeva's top scores, and even her totally clean skate at the 2016 U.S Nationals (with inflated Nationals scoring) is lower than something like Medvedeva's top 12 LP scores or something. And now Medvedeva herself has been totally overtaken and cant win skating clean even vs Zagitova making mistakes. And now we have a girl who just did 2 quads at World Juniors and is senior eligible soon.

And Gracie is going to come back from hitting rock bottom, solve all her past consistency and mental issues AND on top of that show stronger jumping, artistry, and skating and scoring potential than she ever had, to top all these? Well I guess Santa Clause might exist and all, so you never know but.

Well the new Ladies World champion isn't doing anything special technically that Gracie hasn't matched and done just as well in the past and at the very least she would probably have a good chance at being US Champion again looking at the field for next season if she got back in shape and got her triples back.

Osmond's scores at both the Olympics and worlds are much higher than Gold has ever achieved internationally, and they werent even her best skating, particularly worlds. While in principle I see your point in that she was just doing triple-triples like some of the ones Gracie can do, Osmond has shown more consistency this season than Gold ever has, and she is artistically clearly superior, while Gold is a jumper who is inconsistent yet relies on her strong jump and spins, as PCS is not her strength and will never hold her up if she isnt landing all the jumps. Osmond overall is better today than Gold ever was by a good ways, all potential talk aside.

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
I wouldn't compare Kerrigan to Gracie. Kerrigan sometimes got extreme inflation regardless of how many times she fell. Nowadays judges can't be so obvious, and skaters nowadays get mandatory deductions for falls.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Scores don't matter across competitions, let alone entire seasons. The numbers you're trying to compare aren't comparable.

I agree. The technical standard was lower when Gracie was at her peak, so she didn't need to backload most of her content. She regularly earned the highest levels on her spins and footwork, so she would have just needed to move more jumps into the second half. Consistency was always a problem, but the potential to match the scores of the top women is there.

andromache

Record Breaker
I wouldn't compare Kerrigan to Gracie. Kerrigan sometimes got extreme inflation regardless of how many times she fell. Nowadays judges can't be so obvious, and skaters nowadays get mandatory deductions for falls.

To be fair, plenty of skaters today also get extreme inflation even when they make huge errors.

The biggest two differences between Kerrigan's era and Gracie's:
1. MUCH less depth of competition for Nancy internationally
2. Pops mattered far less under 6.0

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
To be fair, plenty of skaters today also get extreme inflation even when they make huge errors.

The biggest two differences between Kerrigan's era and Gracie's:
1. MUCH less depth of competition for Nancy internationally
2. Pops mattered far less under 6.0

I guess it seems more obvious to me under 6.0 when they inflated scores. When a score is 66.70 and they deserved a 60.50, I can't tell so much (numbers are hypothetical). When a skater deserved a 5.0 and got 6s, it's a lot more apparent to me.

But yes, I agree with your points. Things are different nowadays than under Kerrigan.

andromache

Record Breaker
whole post

Sorry, I guess I missed all the speculation that Gracie was going to win Worlds or the Olympics for attempting to make a comeback.

(I don't think a single person in this thread has speculated with any seriousness or confidence that Gracie will do either, so you're discouraging something that doesn't exist. Since it doesn't exist, it seems like you're being negative just for the heck of it.)

kolyadaverybest

Match Penalty
Sorry, I guess I missed all the speculation that Gracie was going to win Worlds or the Olympics for attempting to make a comeback.

(I don't think a single person in this thread has speculated with any seriousness or confidence that Gracie will do either
, so you're discouraging something that doesn't exist. Since it doesn't exist, it seems like you're being negative just for the heck of it.)

Except that is not the case in fact.

I was responding to a poster (jenaj) who was saying Gracie has already shown at her best she can easily beat anyone, and if she gets back in form could easily be winning over anyone out there today. Which is fine to feel i guess, but I vehemently disagree, and that is all I was expressing.

princessalica

Final Flight
I'm really excited for her. If this is what she wants to do, I think we should applaud her for trying.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This has been repeated for years, but it was never really proven. Gracie never won a medal at worlds, or even merely the GPF. And I know some of that is her making mistakes, but a lot of other skaters make mistakes and win medals. Heck Nancy Kerrigan was a mess her whole career except the 94 Olympics and,still won another Olympic medal and a bunch of world and other medals. Osmond won silver at worlds last year and gold this year with a lot of mistakes. If Gracie were really that great she would have at some point too, and she pretty much would have to given her inability to ever do many clean programs even at whatever is considered her peak.

What we do know is Gracie has never done programs that score even close to Medvedeva's top scores, and even her totally clean skate at the 2016 U.S Nationals (with inflated Nationals scoring) is lower than something like Medvedeva's top 12 LP scores or something. And now Medvedeva herself has been totally overtaken and cant win skating clean even vs Zagitova making mistakes. And now we have a girl who just did 2 quads at World Juniors and is senior eligible soon.

And Gracie is going to come back from hitting rock bottom, solve all her past consistency and mental issues AND on top of that show stronger jumping, artistry, and skating and scoring potential than she ever had, to top all these? Well I guess Santa Clause might exist and all, so you never know but.

Osmond's scores at both the Olympics and worlds are much higher than Gold has ever achieved internationally, and they werent even her best skating, particularly worlds. While in principle I see your point in that she was just doing triple-triples like some of the ones Gracie can do, Osmond has shown more consistency this season than Gold ever has, and she is artistically clearly superior, while Gold is a jumper who is inconsistent yet relies on her strong jump and spins, as PCS is not her strength and will never hold her up if she isnt landing all the jumps. Osmond overall is better today than Gold ever was by a good ways, all potential talk aside.

You can't compare Osmond winning medals at Worlds with mistakes to Gracie's mistakes. First of all the competition was at a much higher level in Boston in 2016 then in Finland last year and Osmond last year probably wouldn't have made the podium in 2016. Also Gracie would always make many more costly mistakes especially in the SP which took her out of contention at event's like Worlds and 4CC and the GPF which always kept her off the podium while Osmond kept her mistakes to a minimum.

princessalica

Final Flight
And Gracie didn't medal, but has placed 4th at Worlds twice and 4th at the Olympics. No, not on the podium, but darn close. If she's tackled her demons and feels like she wants to skate on her own terms, I think that its great for her. She's been her own worst enemy. Its been a mental battle for her.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

And my rebuttal to that, is this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=47zQSaH4Y2E :biggrin:

Same season. Gracie definitely had the edge over Kaetlyn on technical content four seasons ago, but Kaetlyn’s always had the charisma, the “It factor” and knows how to work the crowd. The homage to Sweet Charity’s “Rich Man’s Frug” within the choreography of this program is bang on, par to both the film and broadway production. I think Bob Fosse would’ve loved it if he was still alive.

PS: I am a fan of both skaters, btw. I’m not trashing Gracie in the slightest; you will see lots of proof of this in the prior posts I wrote in this thread, and I sincerely wish her well on whatever path she decides to take in life. :yes:

Apologizes for my :eek:topic: segue to Kaetlyn in a Gracie thread.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
You can't compare Osmond winning medals at Worlds with mistakes to Gracie's mistakes. First of all the competition was at a much higher level in Boston in 2016 then in Finland last year and Osmond last year probably wouldn't have made the podium in 2016. Also Gracie would always make many more costly mistakes especially in the SP which took her out of contention at event's like Worlds and 4CC and the GPF which always kept her off the podium while Osmond kept her mistakes to a minimum.

Well, Wakababy managed to hop up from eighth place to WSM a few weeks ago, so never say never. You never know when the proverbial stars may align.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

Higher level in Boston, you think? I thought the same competitors from Boston were also in Helsinki...am I wrong? And the silver and bronze medalist ended up in umm, 7th and 13th place in Helsinki, and this season did not make their national team for OG and Worlds. Yes unlike Boston, in Helsinki they actually called all the UR's this time.

Please Jammers, Kaetlyn is so much more a complete skater than some of the Boston medalists, and closer to Medv in terms of BV and the ability to seize the moment. While you may not like the results, why criticize those who actually earned their right to represent their countries this season, as both Anna and Ashley did not.

Do you always make assumptions...

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Higher level in Boston, you think? I thought the same competitors from Boston were also in Helsinki...am I wrong? And ended up in umm, 7th and 13th place. Yes unlike Boston, they actually called the UR's this time. Please Jammers, Kaetlyn is so much more a complete skater than others have demonstrated to date, and closer to Medv in terms of BV and the ability to seize the moment.

Do you really believe what you write, as sometimes I wonder...

The Ladies competition in 2016 was one of the best probably in the history of Worlds especially from the top 6 Gracie had the worst skate of the top 6 and in most years she probably would have made the podium. Last year you had skaters who were in the top 6 after the SP and bombed bomb badly not only that but 7 skaters were over 200 points in 2016 compared to only 3 last year. No comparison.

ssminnow

Rinkside
I think Osmond is a good example of what Gold could have been. Both at their peak are very powerful skaters technically and, in this era, passable artistically. The difference is that Osmond skates freely whereas Gold always seemed a bit constrained. In the past few years their career trajectories have diverged wildly, but Gold was at one point quite capable of the technical content that won Osmond the WC. In figure skating inflated scoring seems to escalate over time. This is true of the Russians and it's also somewhat true for Osmond. Had Gold medalled in 2016, she could have been the beneficiary instead.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
The Ladies competition in 2016 was one of the best probably in the history of Worlds especially from the top 6 Gracie had the worst skate of the top 6 and in most years she probably would have made the podium. Last year you had skaters who were in the top 6 after the SP and bombed bomb badly not only that but 7 skaters were over 200 points in 2016 compared to only 3 last year. No comparison.

Funny how some in the Boston 200 club have never been able to replicate since that time. If you are going to be over generous to one, you have got to be over generous to all. Just sayin'. :confused2:

Jedi

On the Ice
i rewatched some of her programs - she is so talented. She and Osmond have the similarities in that they have big jumps. I think both have some IT personality on the ice when they are on. It helps Gracie is a stunning blonde. I just think Gracie needs to do it for Gracie. And she needs stability. It hasn't been a year since she started crumbling and then it seemed like she threw herself into competitions like she was drowning, then shows, then rehab and yet couldna't live out of hte limelight and then had a new career and now rumors of a comeback less than two months starting of a new career.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I used to compare Gracie and Osmond when both broke into the international scene around the same time. I thought it was pretty obvious at that time Gracie had better jumps (3lz-3t which Osmond still does not have) and better spins, and she was also very charming. But Gracie went down and Osmond kept on skating & improving. Theoretically she can still have a comeback, as long as she gains her mental strength. At this moment, she doesn't have much to lose.

And my rebuttal to that, is this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=47zQSaH4Y2E :biggrin:

Same season. Gracie definitely had the edge over Kaetlyn on technical content four seasons ago, but Kaetlyn’s always had the charisma, the “It factor” and knows how to work the crowd. The homage to Sweet Charity’s “Rich Man’s Frug” within the choreography of this program is bang on, par to both the film and broadway production. I think Bob Fosse would’ve loved it if he was still alive.

PS: I am a fan of both skaters, btw. I’m not trashing Gracie in the slightest; you will see lots of proof of this in the prior posts I wrote in this thread, and I sincerely wish her well on whatever path she decides to take in life. :yes:

Apologizes for my :eek:topic: segue to Kaetlyn in a Gracie thread.