Gracie Gold training for a comeback? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold training for a comeback?

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
This is completely uncalled for Osmond4gold. But I agree this post is about Gracie. I am curious is she really doing a comeback or simply doing some training for herself. It does seem odd though she had just announced a major change in her life to do a career/job in coaching. I hope she can find true peace because I am sure that effects everything else. I still think she needs stability in her life.

Actually Jedi, I LOVE and have nothing but admiration for Gracie, and anxiously wait for her return to the sport! I agree re her recovery will take time and will be one of the first ones on here cheering her way to the podium. But I find it offense to put down others to promote your own as some here have done. Trust me, I LOVE an underdog, especially one dismissed by sooo many here, and are proven wrong, as was the case with Kaetlyn.

princessalica

Final Flight
This is completely uncalled for Osmond4gold. But I agree this post is about Gracie. I am curious is she really doing a comeback or simply doing some training for herself. It does seem odd though she had just announced a major change in her life to do a career/job in coaching. I hope she can find true peace because I am sure that effects everything else. I still think she needs stability in her life.

But she didn’t announce anything. The ice den announced that she would be coaching. None of this came from Gracie. Also she hasn’t announced her come back. The last official statement was her withdrawal from nationals. She never said she was done. She never said she was going to coach -part time or full time. We just have to sit back and patiently wait for official word from her.

lyndichee

Medalist
Actually Jedi, I LOVE and have nothing but admiration for Gracie, and anxiously wait for her return to the sport! I agree re her recovery will take time and will be one of the first ones on here cheering her way to the podium. But I find it offense to put down others to promote your own as some here have done. Trust me, I LOVE an underdog, especially one dismissed by sooo many here, and are proven wrong, as was the case with Kaetlyn.

Honestly you need to stop being so insecure about anyone not praising Kaetlyn.

Jammers said that Kaetlyn isn't doing anything technically special that Gracie hasn't matched. That is true; Kaetlyn isn't backloading and doesn't perform more difficult combinations.

Gracie base technical value at her prime was 32.76 with a level 3 layback: http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1516/wc2016/wc2016_Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf
Kaetlyn at the Olympics was 32.53
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/owg2018/OWG2018_LadiesSingleSkating_SP_Scores.pdf

Kaetlyn's FS 62.12 - http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/owg2018/OWG2018_LadiesSingleSkating_FS_Scores.pdf
Gracie FS 59.08 - http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1516/gpusa2015/gpusa2015_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf
- Note that Gracie doubled her salchow that would have brought her total score technical score to 62.49.

Jammers also said a lot of people imagined Gracie getting these medals. I don't think that's wrong either; up until 2016-2017 season, everybody thought she still had a chance to challenge for an Olympic medal and WC title. That is not putting down Kaetlyn. That is not trash talk.

Skater Boy said Kaetlyn has more star power and the judges liked her more. That is an opinion; you can't call it trash talk if they state their opinion. They didn't even say Kaetlyn had no star power at all. There isn't a definitive way to compare as Kaetlyn was injured and peaked later than Gracie. That is not trash talk.

I like to think of Gracie is much more a skater than a competitor and we shouldn't speculate on a comeback so soon. To be honest I think it's inappropriate for people who have the privilege of seeing her get back on the ice to try and disclose/speculate about her future plans where she hasn't made anything explicit herself. It's hasn't been a year since she publicly admitted her struggles with anxiety, depression and eating disorders; I wouldn't be too sure about a comeback next season. I also wouldn't write off the current US ladies either.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
^^ Ya think lyndichee? Stating something as a fact, that one skater has ''far more star power'' over another, is very subjective and a slight towards another? Also, that the current ladies World Champion did not face the same level of competition, as others did in Boston, at her Worlds, is just plain wrong. As you know you cannot compare one competition over another and stating this as a fact, attempts to lessen the achievement of another.

Am I sensitive, you bet, esp. when a Fan(s) attempt to put down another based on no factual information, in order to promote their own.

Jedi

On the Ice
But she didn’t announce anything. The ice den announced that she would be coaching. None of this came from Gracie. Also she hasn’t announced her come back. The last official statement was her withdrawal from nationals. She never said she was done. She never said she was going to coach -part time or full time. We just have to sit back and patiently wait for official word from her.

Okay that is what concerns me about some of these threads ie. Adam and Tonya being on DWTS - have these things been confirmed or just rumors or conjecture. And not that it should matter I for the record like Osmond's skating and think she has the Canadian curse -they are underrated for whatever reason - she has artistry and power when on. SHe is like Chouinard, Manley and Rochette - stylish skaters, with grace but not stereotypical and power and crispness in those jumps when on.

Jedi

On the Ice

That's nice that you LOVE Gracie or have admiration we weren't questioning that and it really doesn't matter.l And yes, I love an underdog too I was probably over the moon more than you that Kaetlyn won world's. She is underrated. She does not get the recognition she deserves. But back to Gracie I guess this thread went side ways because no one can say for sure what in the world Gracie is doing other than supposedly coaching. I am not sure how this thread came about then if it is not confirmed she is training for a come back. Training just to learn to skate is different than training for a comeback.

lyndichee

Medalist
^^ Ya think lyndichee? Stating something as a fact, that one skater has ''far more star power'' over another, is very subjective and a slight towards another? Also, that the current ladies World Champion did not face the same level of competition, as others did in Boston, at her Worlds, is just plain wrong. As you know you cannot compare one competition over another and stating this as a fact, attempts to lessen the achievement of another.

Am I sensitive, you bet, esp. when a Fan(s) attempt to put down another based on no factual information, in order to promote their own.

Conveniently ignore half my post. Jammers did not trash talk in their post here.

So what if they stated their opinion like a fact? That doesn't make it trash talk. You can agree to disagree (which is what you initially did) but to call it trash talk after the fact and then accuse another member of being a speedy reader is even lower than someone stating Gracie has more star power. Stating someone as more star power does not put down the person. It does not state that Kaetlyn has no star quality. It does not state that she is lacking in that field either.

WC 2016 had Medvedeva, Pogorilaya, Wagner, Asada, Radionova
- Radionova was still one of the top contenders; only person to beat Medvedeva that season
- Asada might have performed below par at GPF however she still had a 3A and 3F-3Lo planned
- Wagner was at her prime
- Pogo was already having her best season yet
- Evgenia was almost undefeated

WC 2018 had Zagitova, Higuchi, Kostner, Tennell, Sotskova
- Zagitova undefeated and Olympic Champion
- Higuchi wasn't really as big a threat as she underperformed at nationals but made GPF as 6th that season however missed Olympics
- Kostner had performed similarly to Higuchi that season; most competitions were between 190-215ish for both
- Tennell - new US champion however not much achievements other than highest score from US lady all season at 2, 9th at Olympics
- Sotskova - GPF silver medal

Constants
- Miyahara - going in as defending world silver medalist, silver at GPF that year in 2016; 2018 was 5th at GPF, 4th at Olympics
- Gabby was a threat in 2018 however she underperformed at Olympics earlier this year, had health issues in off season and did not medal at any GP stops

I don't think they faced the same level of competition. Are there facts supporting both sides? Yes, but to dismiss it as "plain wrong" and just excuse it as not comparable is even more wrong. There can be comparisons drawn.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
If nothing else, I'd love if she was able to craft a more positive ending to her competitive career. She was forced out by severe personal problems, and if she were able to skate again and put out some work she was proud of, that would (one hopes) make a huge difference in how she viewed her time skating.

This. I don't honestly think she can win World medals at this point, but even having good showings at GP events\nationals would be nice! And tbh, with her ability she can definitely still have a place in the US team even if she doesn' come back 100%. Gracie at 80% would still probably make the US team

bevybean

On the Ice
IMO, Gracie will only come back if she knows she can kill it. Any training she is doing now, is probably more like testing the waters to see what she is now capable of and what she feels like doing. (There's no reason to let any skills she has decline even if she just ends up retiring to coach.) Which would be why no announcement was made.

There was an official announcement made about her coaching in AZ. BUT, it didn't say she was retiring and it didn't say how long she would be coaching there. If it was temporary, then I'm sure the kids she was coaching were told ahead of time --or I'm at least willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. I know my kid would be thrilled just to do a clinic with Gracie, let alone lessons for a month or so.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

She tweeted about coaching 8 and 10 hour days.

princessalica

Final Flight

Yes but she didn’t post the oh I’m only coaching, I’m retiring. Commenting that she was coaching 8-10 hours day was all she posted. And it’s not like her publicist official statements. Many coach while still competing. She wasn’t making a big deal about it like this was her whole life for the rest of her life.

narcissa

Record Breaker
Yes but she didn’t post the oh I’m only coaching, I’m retiring. Commenting that she was coaching 8-10 hours day was all she posted. And it’s not like her publicist official statements. Many coach while still competing. She wasn’t making a big deal about it like this was her whole life for the rest of her life.

Maybe she is saving money for her comeback? :confused: AFAIK she's not getting USFS funding anymore or anything.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

That's a lot of coaching unless she is including prep time or off ice. A lot of jobs ie thereapists can't do 8 actual hours of coaching or therapy or massaging or whatever. Anyways, Ihope she slows down adn focuses on getting well. As I ahve said before I cna understand the desrie to take control of your life (guilty) but she may need to be patietn.

millie

Medalist
I hope that she can make a comeback, it has done before. She was a great competition. I think that she would give the Russian skaters a run for their money and take some of their backlash of other skaters......🙂. She was breathtaking when she was on the ice. Here’s to a possible comeback...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I would agree in part Millie. She had huge potential but she wasn't the best competitor or she would probably have a world medal. Most of us agree she has the ability to win a WGM or OGM if she coudl put it together Funny most of us thought Kaetlyn O would be try to emulate Gracie in respect to ascending to the top and now it is the other way around. Both have great presence and jumps when on.

gr8sk891

Spectator
i have heard she is going to try and make a comeback. Resencourt is her "head coach". Rumor is she's not able to triple yet. CUI fired Resencourt. Apparently moving to Raf.

moriel

Record Breaker
I wonder if there are any news...
Gracie is a skater who would greatly benefit from the new rules, and if she comes back in good shape, she can easily be USA #1.