Savchenko/Massot take "indefinite break" | Golden Skate

Savchenko/Massot take "indefinite break"

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Competitively, they accomplished maybe even more than they set out for in the span of four years. Skating in shows will give them the artistic freedom that they have been pushing for with their programs without the constraints of IJS (especially with the free program time and choreography sequence being cut).

lesnar001

Record Breaker
My selfish hope is that they are going to come back to competitive skating, but we shall see.

They deserve some time off to have fun and not worry about "gearing up" right away for another season.

They worked so hard the last few years to peak at the best possible moment - it really is amazing how quickly they came together as a pair.

Bruno really improved so much, and Aliona just seems to keep getting better and better.

I think that Aliona could still be at the top of her game in her forties!

So I say as a fan.... I want to see them come back but I fully respect whatever decision they ultimately make.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well deserved. Though I do wonder if eventually time may not be so friendly. I also would like to see them go out on top; it is different she isn't some 15 year old olympic champion or even a season 17 year old. I can see them competing for a while but Savchenko will do whatever she likes. I hope she and Massot regardless of what happen will feel satisfied.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I'm sad we might never see Aljona back on competitive ice again - she really is the best of the best. But they've worked incredibly hard and deserve to rest, enjoy life, make some money, and start moving on to whatever's next.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Figure skaters know when it is time to move on. Of course Massot is young and has not the skating pedigree of his partner. He could always find a new partner if he wishes to continue. Savchenko is a skating legend and really doesn't need to compete, unless she chooses to! Meagan Duhamel says that Alonia will skate forever. Who knows? I wish them the best and hope they enjoy their "indefinite break"!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I'm sad about this, but that's just being selfish because I'll miss them so much. I can totally understand their reasoning, they've not been without injuries, Bruno's back will still be playing up from time to time, and after last wonderful but exhausting season a bit of more relaxed performing will be enjoyable for both. I hope they will be back, but if they won't they went out on an ultimate high! Good for them.

mau

3Lz3Lo3Lo3Lo3Lo
On the Ice
As a fan I’m happy with their decision. They accomplished everything a team would want in a very short amount of time. What’s left for them to achieve? An Euros gold medal? They already have two silvers and Aljona has four golds besides that.

But knowing Aljona this isn’t a retirement, we will see them competing again.

aname

On the Ice
The program they did in exhibitions this last season is one of my favorite skating programs ever. (And I say this as somebody who finds the majority of gala numbers kind of boring.) So I'm sure Aljona&Bruno will be awesome at show skating, too.

While I selfishly hope they will make a competitive comeback at some point, I'm happy they take the time and the opportunity to make some serious money. Especially after reading that interview with soon-to-be-father Bruno where he talked about the financial difficulties he had to go through in the process of switching countries... (Seriously, when will Didier finally go away? Ugh.)

Fluture

Record Breaker
I don‘t think they‘ll come back as competitive skaters. At least not for Savchenko. You could see it in her face when she won this Olympic Gold. She knew, it probably was her last chance ever to win it and this was their dream season, getting everything they always dreamed of. And, even though I‘m really sad about it, it‘s probably for the best.

„Quit while you‘re still having fun.“

And they certainly did have fun this season! Besides, it‘s not like we won‘t see them any time again, they‘re still going to skate in shows.

So, I think they deserved it. They did everything they could, won everything they could possibly win. Now it‘s time to relax a bit.

perspicuosity

Rinkside
I don‘t think they‘ll come back as competitive skaters. At least not for Savchenko. You could see it in her face when she won this Olympic Gold. She knew, it probably was her last chance ever to win it and this was their dream season, getting everything they always dreamed of. And, even though I‘m really sad about it, it‘s probably for the best.

„Quit while you‘re still having fun.“

And they certainly did have fun this season! Besides, it‘s not like we won‘t see them any time again, they‘re still going to skate in shows.

So, I think they deserved it. They did everything they could, won everything they could possibly win. Now it‘s time to relax a bit.

You're probably right. I'm secretly hoping that they both use this year to have babies and then come roaring back :) (Wishes and dreams...)

I'll miss watching them terribly.

Fluture

Record Breaker
You're probably right. I'm secretly hoping that they both use this year to have babies and then come roaring back :) (Wishes and dreams...)

I'll miss watching them terribly.

Well, „using this year to have babies“ would be a bit easier for Massot than Savchenko, I guess. Try being pregnant for nine months and then just going back on ice, being lifted and doing jumps like it was nothing... :D

But who am I kidding, I‘m also secretely hoping that they‘ll come back and surprise us all. I just love watching them. Especially their FP from this season was a true masterpiece. Aaah, the feels. :(

QuadThrow

Medalist
After this announcement I really do think they want to compete in 2022. This is just one year to take a deep breath and earn a lot of money. Aljona is definitly willed to continue and Bruno would have had enough time to announce his retirement if he had really wanted it.

Aljona has already mentioned that they will meet their coach Alexander Koenig during summer even after after he moved to Berlin.

Jedi

On the Ice
Well, „using this year to have babies“ would be a bit easier for Massot than Savchenko, I guess. Try being pregnant for nine months and then just going back on ice, being lifted and doing jumps like it was nothing... :D

But who am I kidding, I‘m also secretely hoping that they‘ll come back and surprise us all. I just love watching them. Especially their FP from this season was a true masterpiece. Aaah, the feels. :(

Speaking of babies, ladies can have kids in their forties if Savchenko wants kids if she competes for another quadrennial her clock may run out. But that is a personal decision. I just hope she and Bruno can feel satisfied. They have it all. Whereas a skater like Chan he never won OGM individually; I am not sure he can really say he was totally satisfied. Likewise for Evgenia if she retired which at 17 or 18 I hope not. I mean come on at least skate until your 19. (sarcasm).

Fluture

Record Breaker
Speaking of babies, ladies can have kids in their forties if Savchenko wants kids if she competes for another quadrennial her clock may run out. But that is a personal decision. I just hope she and Bruno can feel satisfied. They have it all. Whereas a skater like Chan he never won OGM individually; I am not sure he can really say he was totally satisfied. Likewise for Evgenia if she retired which at 17 or 18 I hope not. I mean come on at least skate until your 19. (sarcasm).

Yeah, I was thinking of that, too. I mean, it‘s absolutely not our business whether Savchenko wants to have kids or not but if she does, well... At least, as you said, she has everything she could have dreamed of. Whether she continues thriving for medals or going at a slower pace now, is up to her.

I honestly feel sad for the likes of those who never get to achieve their Olympic dreams. Like, if you‘re not born at the right time, then your chance is pretty much gone.

But yeah, you‘re right, screw the ones who are so lazy and don‘t even compete until their 30 like Carolina Kostner... Pff... ;)

(Obviously also sarcasm)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yeah, I was thinking of that, too. I mean, it‘s absolutely not our business whether Savchenko wants to have kids or not but if she does, well... At least, as you said, she has everything she could have dreamed of. Whether she continues thriving for medals or going at a slower pace now, is up to her.

I honestly feel sad for the likes of those who never get to achieve their Olympic dreams. Like, if you‘re not born at the right time, then your chance is pretty much gone.

But yeah, you‘re right, screw the ones who are so lazy and don‘t even compete until their 30 like Carolina Kostner... Pff... ;)

(Obviously also sarcasm)

So true life is timing Patrick, Evgenia, Duhamel and RAdford, could have been OGM if the timing had been right (arbitrarily I picked at least two world titles back to back.