How long do boots last for adults, and other inquiries | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How long do boots last for adults, and other inquiries

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
My current set does seem to be working. The wide heel/ankle does annoy me a little, but it’s stilll way better than my previous Jackson freestyles where my heel was constantly going up and down. I wasn’t sure if a Jackson synergy with C or D forefoot and A heel would completely eliminate the problems.
I have a similar foot (wide ball, narrow heel) and also use a gel sleeve in my RF3. I am considering trying out Graf boots, but they can be hard to come by, as they’re a Swiss brand.

CoffeeFan

Rinkside
Country
Canada
I have a similar foot (wide ball, narrow heel) and also use a gel sleeve in my RF3. I am considering trying out Graf boots, but they can be hard to come by, as they’re a Swiss brand.
Ahaha twins!
I actually think that one heel or ankle is narrower than the other, so I just use the gel sleeve on the right side lol. It could also be that my right ankle is a little unstable from a childhood overuse injury, so even just a little toggle makes me nervous.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
@2sk8 should be able to help you with Graf. ;)

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Sometimes a less than ideal fit can speed up breakdown. I went through two pairs of ill-fitting skates in two years, which besides damaging my feet also creased in the wrong areas and lost support quickly. Then when I switched to a better-fitting boot, although I went down in stiffness to heal from the damage caused by the earlier boots, it lasted two years and broke down in a more gradual way. My current boot is a similar style but stiffer, seems to be holding up well so far so will be interesting to see how long it lasts :)

CoffeeFan

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Sometimes a less than ideal fit can speed up breakdown. I went through two pairs of ill-fitting skates in two years, which besides damaging my feet also creased in the wrong areas and lost support quickly. Then when I switched to a better-fitting boot, although I went down in stiffness to heal from the damage caused by the earlier boots, it lasted two years and broke down in a more gradual way. My current boot is a similar style but stiffer, seems to be holding up well so far so will be interesting to see how long it lasts :)
Oh wow, I definitely wish you the best with your boots! Sounds like you're on the right path.

How did you know your previous ones were ill-fitting? I could definitely tell that my first pair didn't fit right, with the amount of modifications I had to make to keep my heel from slipping, and the enormous amount of space at the front of the boot.

Current boots don't seem too long. Ankles (actually just the right ankle mostly) just feels a bit loose sometimes hence the gel sleeve. I do still tend to tighten them like crazy though, even along the top hooks, otherwise I feel like it will be too loose. I don't think that's from them breaking down YET, since I've had to do that since day 1, but curious as to what your experience was.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Oh wow, I definitely wish you the best with your boots! Sounds like you're on the right path.

How did you know your previous ones were ill-fitting? I could definitely tell that my first pair didn't fit right, with the amount of modifications I had to make to keep my heel from slipping, and the enormous amount of space at the front of the boot.

Current boots don't seem too long. Ankles (actually just the right ankle mostly) just feels a bit loose sometimes hence the gel sleeve. I do still tend to tighten them like crazy though, even along the top hooks, otherwise I feel like it will be too loose. I don't think that's from them breaking down YET, since I've had to do that since day 1, but curious as to what your experience was.
I really hope you haven't been lacing them all the way up to tie them since day one. That's not good and doesn't let them break-in properly.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand

Bunions and bone spurs appearing on my heels and inside of my ankles were a bit of a clue 😅 My froggy feet felt better once I got split width boots. They are much snugger along the length of my feet without squishing my toes and I don't need to lace tightly to keep them feeling secure except at the flex notch, which is how it should be. In non-split width boots either my heels would shift around no matter how I laced, or my toes would feel cramped (stretching the toebox helped a bit, but not to the extent I needed).

CoffeeFan

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Bunions and bone spurs appearing on my heels and inside of my ankles were a bit of a clue 😅 My froggy feet felt better once I got split width boots. They are much snugger along the length of my feet without squishing my toes and I don't need to lace tightly to keep them feeling secure except at the flex notch, which is how it should be. In non-split width boots either my heels would shift around no matter how I laced, or my toes would feel cramped (stretching the toebox helped a bit, but not to the extent I needed).
Oh interesting. That almost sounds like how my heels feel, which is why I'm wondering if I do need to go split width. I don't love that I have to tie the hooks so tight--based on what I've read on here, it seemed kind of wrong. Initially I was just going to order another set of RF3 pros, but based on this, perhaps I do need something else? @Ic3Rabbit I saw your message above... oops yes Im' pretty sure I was doing that since day 1... I couldn't get the ankle to feel stable any other way 🤦🏻‍♀️

CoffeeFan

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Oh interesting. That almost sounds like how my heels feel, which is why I'm wondering if I do need to go split width. I don't love that I have to tie the hooks so tight--based on what I've read on here, it seemed kind of wrong. Initially I was just going to order another set of RF3 pros, but based on this, perhaps I do need something else? @Ic3Rabbit I saw your message above... oops yes Im' pretty sure I was doing that since day 1... I couldn't get the ankle to feel stable any other way 🤦🏻‍♀️
So, ummmm @Ic3Rabbit based on the loose ankle/little bit of heel slip issue, do you think my current model is still ok? Lol I don't feel great about having to tie the hooks so tight, but its sort of working? When I got fitted I was just happy it felt so much better than my first pair of boots, but also there wasn't a ton of stock to choose from so I just went with whatever fit the best at the time.

Now that I'm looking at another pair, should I still go with this model, or try to find something that fits a bit better at the heel? I wouldn't get to try anything on at this point; I'd just have to trust that the fitter can get me what they think is best. That's sort of why I was considering Jackson synergy rapid custom for split width.

I'm so sorry, when I started this thread I thought there would be an easy answer... I've been skating like a year and I've only been fitted once, so I don't really know anything--help! :oops:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So, ummmm @Ic3Rabbit based on the loose ankle/little bit of heel slip issue, do you think my current model is still ok? Lol I don't feel great about having to tie the hooks so tight, but its sort of working? When I got fitted I was just happy it felt so much better than my first pair of boots, but also there wasn't a ton of stock to choose from so I just went with whatever fit the best at the time.

Now that I'm looking at another pair, should I still go with this model, or try to find something that fits a bit better at the heel? I wouldn't get to try anything on at this point; I'd just have to trust that the fitter can get me what they think is best. That's sort of why I was considering Jackson synergy rapid custom for split width.

I'm so sorry, when I started this thread I thought there would be an easy answer... I've been skating like a year and I've only been fitted once, so I don't really know anything--help! :oops:
Please send me a DM.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
@tstop4me Do you have any skate tech tricks she could tell her tech to help with her heel slippage?
Hi. Sorry for the delayed response. With regard to fixes for heel slippage, it depends on whether the heel slippage is primarily side-to-side or up-down.

* If the heel slippage is primarily side-to-side, there's no really satisfactory fix that I'm aware of (pinching in the heel pocket of the boot or taping foam around the heel of the foot don't work too well).

* If the heel slippage is primarily up-down, I highly recommend trying out a tongue liner to seat the heel of the foot more firmly into the heel pocket of the boot. I previously gave instructions here:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/t...nths-lts-adult-w-no-jumps.92275/#post-2982817 Reply #6.

Hope this is helpful.

CoffeeFan

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Hi. Sorry for the delayed response. With regard to fixes for heel slippage, it depends on whether the heel slippage is primarily side-to-side or up-down.

* If the heel slippage is primarily side-to-side, there's no really satisfactory fix that I'm aware of (pinching in the heel pocket of the boot or taping foam around the heel of the foot don't work too well).

* If the heel slippage is primarily up-down, I highly recommend trying out a tongue liner to seat the heel of the foot more firmly into the heel pocket of the boot. I previously gave instructions here:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/t...nths-lts-adult-w-no-jumps.92275/#post-2982817 Reply #6.

Hope this is helpful.
Thank you so much! It is definitely more up and down slippage, but sometimes it's hard for me to figure out if it's my heel slipping or my ankles just not feeling supported enough if I don't crank them as tight as I can. I'll look into your suggestion!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thank you so much! It is definitely more up and down slippage, but sometimes it's hard for me to figure out if it's my heel slipping or my ankles just not feeling supported enough if I don't crank them as tight as I can. I'll look into your suggestion!
In that case, in addition to the tongue liners, I would also suggest you switch to different laces and a different lacing pattern to gain better control of ankle (and overall) support ... you want to avoid cranking up your laces as tight as possible and strangling your foot. See my previous post here:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/loose-laces-on-skating-boot.96925/#post-3208773 Reply #6.

Good Luck!

2sk8

Rinkside
Let me know if you need assistance sourcing Graf- I can help with that.