Lakernik doesn't even know qualifying rules for Olympic spots RIP

#retireLakernik

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Summary so far:
- Separate Junior World ranking --> withdraw for now, but there will be working group to discuss this for season 2019-2020

Not keen on this, hope when the working group proposes it it will have lots of details.

- Judges from federation with no active competitors can enter the judging draw --> rejected

Fair enough.

- To have a fixed number of entries in World Championship, meaning skaters with lower than minimum TES might be able to enter if there are empty spots --> rejected

Yeah I remember reading this one and thinking it wasn't a great idea.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
There is a discussion about qualifying spots now and it's so confusing and misunderstood by both parties it's such a pain to listen to.

LRK

Record Breaker
If I understand correctly, now the Technical Committee just proposed a new rule on allocating spots at Olympics

The proposal sounds like if for ex Spain gets 2 spots because of Fernandez.....number 2 needs to have qualified for FS at previous Worlds...otherwise, skater 2 needs to go to Qualifying competition along with the others.

But suppose the nr 2 skater is someone unexpected? Perhaps someone has a surprising development, and comes, as it's said, "out of nowhere" during the Olympic season? That skater then wouldn't be able to go no matter how good they were, because nobody thought of them that early in the season?

:scratch:

ETA - By "qualifying competition" I just assumed Nebelhorn. I just realised I may have been mistaken?

Andrea82

Medalist
If their problem is Giada Russo, Mambekova and Felipe Montoya making to the Olympics, instead of creating another difficult system, wouldn't it be simpler to raise the minimum TES for Olympics? They usually set it at Euros/4CCs level. Set it at the same level of Worlds and Montoya and Mambekova wouldn't have made it

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The proposal sounds like if for ex Spain gets 2 spots because of Fernandez.....number 2 needs to have qualified for FS at previous Worlds...otherwise, skater 2 needs to go to Qualifying competition along with the others.

Bianchetti is using Italy as example

"our second lady is very weak" and qualified just because of Carolina

This seems fair.

At the moment one of the ISU people is explaining that if one strong skater earns two spots for their country at Worlds, they're not taking a spot from anyone, because the Worlds entry isn't fixed. But because the Olympics entries are fixed, to have one strong skater earning two spots potentially takes away a spot from a better skater who could have earned it for their country.

Which is fair. I also think if they want to go down this path then maybe they should also look into the "placeholder" qualifiers, like the Japanese pair. Make a rule that if the non-citizen/non-eligible skater qualifies the spot, their replacement must have the PBs that would have seen them qualify also, so that we don't get situations like that.

Andrea82

Medalist
But suppose the nr 2 skater is someone unexpected? Perhaps someone has a surprising development, and comes, as it's said, "out of nowhere" during the Olympic season? That skater then wouldn't be able to go no matter how good they were, because nobody thought of them that early in the season?

:scratch:

ETA - By "qualifying competition" I just assumed Nebelhorn. I just realised I may have been mistaken?

yes, they mean Nebelhorn. They are saying "go to Oberstdorf"

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But we could make an argument that these ones would have less chance of being biased, couldn't we?

Well, you could equally argue that if they're not seeing that high level of skating themselves, then how are they being trained to that high level?

Danny T

Medalist
Didn't think I was gonna say this, but Bianchetti is making some sense here. One big difference between Worlds and Olympics is that OWG has a fixed number of spots so somebody is taking some other's spots

Summary to come. They're about to fight :hap10:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
"so-called small members have more chances now for direct qualification" *narrows eyes* Where are you going with this pal, because I am preparing dinner and I have a knife.

LRK

Record Breaker
yes, they mean Nebelhorn. They are saying "go to Oberstdorf"

Thanks.

So that would mean that they would have to know early on in the season whom they want to send. Or if a country has 2-3 skaters of similar quality, do they send them all? Maybe I'm just tired (I am:)), but I'm just so confused...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Didn't think I was gonna say this, but Bianchetti is making some sense here. One big difference between Worlds and Olympics is that OWG has a fixed number of spots so somebody is taking some other's spots

He has a point, but I have some concerns over how well thought-out the proposal is.

Andrea82

Medalist
Thanks.

So that would mean that they would have to know early on in the season whom they want to send. Or if a country has 2-3 skaters of similar quality, do they send them all? Maybe I'm just tired (I am:)), but I'm just so confused...

Only 1 to be sent at Nebelhorn.

I think but I am not sure of anything anymore that the skater sent to Nebelhorn would fight for a spot for the ISU member. Then they can change the name sent to Olympics if they confirm the spot at Nebelhorn

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Proposal accepted

55 yes
13 no

I'm a little surprised, but overall pleased. Though it's not guaranteed, I think it does at least open up the possibility for that limited number of Olympic places to include skaters from a larger number of countries.

LRK

Record Breaker
Only 1 to be sent at Nebelhorn.

I think but I am not sure of anything anymore that the skater sent to Nebelhorn would fight for a spot for the ISU member. Then they can change the name sent to Olympics if they confirm the spot at Nebelhorn

Okay, thanks. That makes a bit of sense.