China Will Not Host ISU Events in 2018-19 | Page 6 | Golden Skate

China Will Not Host ISU Events in 2018-19

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And I'm unsure if the proposal passed to increase the number of judges at major events passed, but that could also potentially help by reducing the effectiveness of skewing scores.

That proposal failed. Feds doing what feds do :cool14:

#That’s_So_ISU

libecha

Rinkside
The men's judge put Boyang first on both SP and LP.

http://skatingscores.com/2018/oly/men/short/tss/
http://skatingscores.com/2018/oly/men/long/tss/

As for the pairs judge apparently it was the only blind person in the arena who didnt think S&M were the clear winner on the final:

http://skatingscores.com/2018/oly/pairs/long/tss/

Wow, that French judge in pairs wasn't much different, though. S/M only 0.1 higher than S/H and 0.4 higher than D/R? Absurd. J/C never really were in the conversation for gold, so the only explanation I see for that is vindictiveness against Massot. The Chinese judge's marks don't really stand out in comparison, but they're the ones getting picked on.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
not really if you consider that the US judge placed hanyu 5th and Nathan 1rst. But she scored smarter and not as dumb as the Chinese judge
I... don't think that's wrong? Hanyu didn't have a very good FS in my opinion. His score was very high considering what he put out.

The Chinese judge on the other hand just went with almost pure 3s for Jin, and gigantic PCS.

GarthAqua

On the Ice
Chinese fans are speculating the government is behind all this. Almost all winter sport games are cancelled next season. Rumors say that people are unhappy with the judging in PC in short track and freestyle skiing aerials,some of the short track penalties were unreasonable and ISU did refused to give any explanation.

With China being the next host for Olympics, there is no possibility they are short of fund. They are using a rather childish way to protest.

BTW, Chinese skaters normally didn't get boost when competing in COC, same in Japan, unlike Russia or north america.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Wow, that French judge in pairs wasn't much different, though. S/M only 0.1 higher than S/H and 0.4 higher than D/R? Absurd. J/C never really were in the conversation for gold, so the only explanation I see for that is vindictiveness against Massot. The Chinese judge's marks don't really stand out in comparison, but they're the ones getting picked on.

Yeah, I don't see it so much in pairs, but in the men's FS it is pretty over the top. Maybe they were looking more closely at China's judging in the other events because of the men's or something? I'm not sure.

Midnightcass

On the Ice
I wonder what kind of excuse the fed is going to give. 👀
It better be a good largely publicised one and Coc better be back next year.
Or else....

LRK

Record Breaker
Good gracious, this offseason keeps the surprises coming, doesn't it?

I wonder if, by the end of it, we will be so jaded and tired out that nothing will surprise us any more, or if we will be simply worn out by all the

:shocked:

and the

:drama:

that we will be reduced to

:dbana:

Just curious.:)

charlotte14

Medalist
I... don't think that's wrong? Hanyu didn't have a very good FS in my opinion. His score was very high considering what he put out.

The Chinese judge on the other hand just went with almost pure 3s for Jin, and gigantic PCS.
The ridiculous US judges put not just Hanyu behind Nate but also behind Vincent Zhou. Love the Us judges ability to love her country and not get caught. If only the Chinese judge get the same superpower.

Midnightcass

On the Ice
Will CoC become history like Bofrost Cup?:popcorn:

Doubt. The next Olympics is in Beijing and China would want to promote their skaters by giving them host picks and draw local audiences.
Most likely, IF this is due to the recent treatment of Chinese skating, then this is merely a political power move. I mean what illustrates a disgruntled fed more than last minute withdrawal of hosting competitions.
Petty. But it gets the point across.

Maybe it's something innocent like they want to renovate all of the major ice rinks in China or something. 😂😂😂

Shayuki

Record Breaker
The ridiculous US judges put not just Hanyu behind Nate but also behind Vincent Zhou. Love the Us judges ability to love her country and not get caught. If only the Chinese judge get the same superpower.

Okay, Vincent Zhou shouldn't be ahead of him... Still though, I don't think it's as bad as that thing with the Chinese judge and Jin.

GarthAqua

On the Ice
Doubt. The next Olympics is in Beijing and China would want to promote their skaters by giving them host picks and draw local audiences.
Most likely, IF this is due to the recent treatment of Chinese skating, then this is merely a political power move. I mean what illustrates a disgruntled fed more than last minute withdrawal of hosting competitions.
Petty. But it gets the point across.

Maybe it's something innocent like they want to renovate all of the major ice rinks in China or something. 😂😂😂

No, at least there's one ice rink can host COC in Beijing, and Shanghai has another one.

Shanshani

On the Ice

All the top men except Nathan had serious errors in their FS though. Shoma fell on his 4Lo and bungled his 4T+2T, Javi popped his 4S (so wound up jumping 2 less quads than Yuzuru), and Vincent Zhou UR'd his 4Lz and nearly fell on his 4F (which he also got an unclear edge call for), yet the US judge scored them all above Yuzuru.

charlotte14

Medalist
I wonder what kind of excuse the fed is going to give. 👀
It better be a good largely publicised one and Coc better be back next year.
Or else....
Excuse? The Chinese fed have power over this issue. Remember, next Olympic will be in China. The whole thing cost a lot of money, like MANY MANY BILLIONS OF USD. :furious:If ISU is smart, they will listen to most of Chinese fed's requirements and follow as such. :dev2:

alexaa

Final Flight
What has Nathan to do with this topic??? I never expect to see his name in this thread.:palmf:

Hopefully Korea would confirm soon

Lana05

Final Flight
Not surprised after banning of hip-hop, putting down crosses from churches and so on...
What is going on in China? Seems like a political decision for me. Very strange

And what happened in short track that everybodody discussed?

Midnightcass

On the Ice
Excuse? The Chinese fed have power over this issue. Remember, next Olympic will be in China. The whole thing cost a lot of money, like MANY MANY BILLIONS OF USD. :furious:If ISU is smart, they will listen to most of Chinese fed's requirements and follow as such. :dev2:

I'm guessing you didn't read any of my previous comments. So I'm to going to treat your post as pure sarcasm before I judge you as being a crazy nationalistic stan.

Shame though, we support the same Fed/country and all.

Wilwarin

On the Ice
Good gracious, this offseason keeps the surprises coming, doesn't it?

I wonder if, by the end of it, we will be so jaded and tired out that nothing will surprise us any more, or if we will be simply worn out by all the

:shocked:

and the

:drama:

that we will be reduced to

:dbana:

Just curious.:)

I'm already :shrug:

and :popcorn:

Shanshani

On the Ice
Anyway, re: the judge issue, the Chinese men's judge was way out of line, but the Chinese pairs judge is actually less egregious than the US men's judge. When I ran calculations, Huang scored S/H 3.7 points higher in the short and 5.1 points higher in the free than their actual scores--yes, it looks biased, but it's still within the range of normal point variations between judges, so it should fall more in the category of "there is almost certainly bias here but it isn't egregious enough for us to go after". The Chinese pairs judge scored S/M 5.1 points below average, but again, same story.

By contrast, the US men's judge scored Nathan Chen 10.2 points above his actual score in the free, and scored Hanyu 9 points and Boyang Jin 10 points lower. He also scored Vincent Zhou 7 points higher. I even corrected for differences in average point spreads between competitions and competitors--still the US men's judge was more egregious than the Chinese pairs judge. So if part of the reason this is happening is because the ISU hasn't gone after biased judges in a fair manner, then I think that complaint is a fair one, even if the reaction is kind of over the top (but given that apparently all winter sports competitions are being cancelled, it probably isn't the main issue?).