China Will Not Host ISU Events in 2018-19 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

China Will Not Host ISU Events in 2018-19

SamuraiKike

Medalist
So we could win from KOR:
Men: Jun-Hwa, June-Hyuoung, Jin-Seo (none of them had a guaranteed event this season)
Ladies: Eunsoo, Ye-Lim and Ha-Nul (Dabin is already guaranteed an event)
Pairs : Kim & Kam + 2 open spots for other nations .
Dance: Min & Gamelin + 2 open spots for other nations.

And we would lose from CHN:
Men: Tangxu Li and He Zhang (Boyang will get his 2 spots no matter what)
Ladies: 3 host spots for unknown skaters.
Pairs: Wang/Wang and Li/Xie (the top 3 pairs will get their 2 spots in other events)
Dance: 2nd spot for Wang/Liu and 2 host spots for unknown teams.

Not a bad deal IMO.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
KSU surely has enough money to host it. It's a 100% win for her skaters. She have no reasons to say no.

Tulipstar

Medalist
So we could win from KOR:
Men: Jun-Hwa, June-Hyuoung, Jin-Seo (none of them had a guaranteed event this season)
Ladies: Eunsoo, Ye-Lim and Ha-Nul (Dabin is already guaranteed an event)
Pairs : Kim & Kam + 2 open spots for other nations .
Dance: Min & Gamelin + 2 open spots for other nations.

And we would lose from CHN:
Men: Tangxu Li and He Zhang (Boyang will get his 2 spots no matter what)
Ladies: 3 host spots for unknown skaters.
Pairs: Wang/Wang and Li/Xie (the top 3 pairs will get their 2 spots in other events)
Dance: 2nd spot for Wang/Liu and 2 host spots for unknown teams.

Not a bad deal IMO.

I'm glad for Korean Ice Dance and Pairs. This can help them build a more all-round team that can compete at Olympic Team Events or even WTT.
I'm really surprised by China, though. Thought they would have wanted to build their ladies, especially.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I see FS can't exist without drama :shocked: I hope it will be relatively fast solved. Has similiar thing happened before?

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Please not Taipei...hasn't years of empty arenas at 4CC's, taught us anything?

Taiwan is the only asian country who can host a major event with just a few months of preparation if Korea say no. That's why Taipei can be a choice.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Please not Taipei...hasn't years of empty arenas at 4CC's, taught us anything?

Yeah totally!!! Taipei should devote less money and use smaller venues instead offering ISU their very best international venue that can host 15k capacity which is a total over kill. Bigger than both Sochi and PyeongChang Rink.

Instead offering visitors free tickets, free broadcasting, putting everybody at best hotels, Offering best venues, they should just put them all with a host family in the country side, or camp in the courtyard of a temple somewhere. Skate in a smaller training rink and fill it with only handful of families and relatives and charge people for streaming. Sounds fairer... Taiwan never got any home advantages anyway for their skaters, so why bother!

;)

(Although I am doubtful if Taipei want to host 'Cup of China', since well... it is a political sensitive name issue from both sides, even if the will is there.)

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Yeah totally!!! Taipei should devote less money and use smaller venues instead offering ISU their very best international venue that can host 15k capacity which is a total over kill. Bigger than both Sochi and PyeongChang Rink.

Instead offering visitors free tickets, free broadcasting, putting everybody at best hotels, Offering best venues, they should just put them all with a host family in the country side, or camp in the courtyard of a temple somewhere. Skate in a smaller training rink and fill it with only handful of families and relatives and charge people for streaming. Sounds fairer... Taiwan never got any home advantages anyway for their skaters, so why bother!

How do they get all this money? Seriously.

;)

Perfect.

Such a great crowd there. I loved that they lit up the rink when there was a power outage.

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Hmm, yeah, where will Alina go then? Last year she had Cup of China. Don’t skaters usually have the same GPs as they did previous years ? I wonder where Alina will go now

IndiaP12

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I want New Zealand to host a Grand Prix!!! Pleaseeee ISU!!!! I would die of excitement. Auckland does have some suitable venues (I think the Spark Arena would do pretty well, they’ve had ice put there before🤣) and it would be a cool opportunity for skaters to come somewhere new. Doubt it will ever happen though lol *in my dreams*

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
How do they get all this money? Seriously.

From what I understand, they file these events as non-profit so they have no costs with the venue rental. This cuts down a lot of costs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
The system for choosing the finalists is built around having six events.
Not really. I think it’s flexible enough. The top 6 point getters. And then, like, 7 or 8 tiebreakers? Having an extra event would likely mean that the tiebreakers come into play even more often and I don’t think we would ever see a 3rd+2nd place finalist.

I’d like very much if the ISU expanded the GP Series. It doesn’t necessarily have to be the Korean event if it happens and goes well; they could elevate one of the more established Challenger or Senior B events. But I doubt the ISU would want to spend the money.

IndiaP12

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Amazing. So Boyang... emm... so... who goes to Korea? Can we umm... We need to re-think it all over again. Korea! Wow. Is there any possibility to move French GP to Barcelona, forever? Cause, umm, I'd love it with all of my heart. (I really really love when skaters get real deal medals and not plastic nonsense instead. I wonder why it wasn't discussed at that Congress).

I like those stars! I think they are so cool. Well, at least if you get the biggest one like Alina [emoji23]

Tulipstar

Medalist
Not really. I think it’s flexible enough. The top 6 point getters. And then, like, 7 or 8 tiebreakers? Having an extra event would likely mean that the tiebreakers come into play even more often and I don’t think we would ever see a 3rd+2nd place finalist.

I’d like very much if the ISU expanded the GP Series. It doesn’t necessarily have to be the Korean event if it happens and goes well; they could elevate one of the more established Challenger or Senior B events. But I doubt the ISU would want to spend the money.

I'd like it too. Not just because it will give us more to watch, but because it will give more skaters the chance to shine.
It would also give fans more opportunities to see the skaters in the venue. To speak for myself, Grenoble is not easy to reach. I'd sooner go to Helsinki or Barcelona for a match than there. This because they are better connected by plane.

I can imagine that the same holds true for others. It would also give Japanese skaters more of a chance to get tickets nearby if they do one in Korea (as I wouldn't be surprised if NHK is sold out if Hanyu is there).

Countries I'd like to see host it. Well, I already mentioned three locations: Finland, Spain and Korea. Kazakhstan would be good too. They did well at the Universiade and it would help build interest in the sport. Would Singapore be an option? And maybe a South American country some time.
Please note that I don't think all these countries should have a GP at the same time, but they are the countries I thought of first.