2018-19 British figure skating | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2018-19 British figure skating

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Good News Update: Penny & Nick are on the team! :hap10:

Really hope we get to hear them actually commentate, on the Dance especially, and not just be talking heads in a studio pre and post competition. When they Commentated live on the Gala in Sochi with Sue Barker, and also on the SD after they had skated and went into the box, they were really good. :thumbsup:

That’s awesome! They were great at Pyongchang. Very insightful about the judging.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Nice to see so many Junior men but disappointing there’s only one senior man.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Luke Digby just posted a picture of him helping PJ buy a new suit for the World Championships. I’m so nervous/excited!

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
So pleased to find this today.📺 The last episode of John Curry's Coaching series "Curry on Ice" on BBC TV circa late 80s. Wish I could see all of it again, filmed at Dundonald Rink in Northern Ireland with a young Neil Wilson, now coaching in Canada. https://youtu.be/33ZSMfSz-Pg ⛸️💙

Was going to send to CaroLiza_Fan but thought I'd share with everybody. :)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
So pleased to find this today.�� The last episode of John Curry's Coaching series "Curry on Ice" on BBC TV circa late 80s. Wish I could see all of it again, filmed at Dundonald Rink in Northern Ireland with a young Neil Wilson, now coaching in Canada. https://youtu.be/33ZSMfSz-Pg ⛸️��

Was going to send to CaroLiza_Fan but thought I'd share with everybody. :)

Wow. Thank you so much for finding this. :bow: :clap: :points:

I've done a bit of digging, and according to the BBC Genome project that has old Radio Times listings (what a wonderful thing!) it was broadcast on each day of the first week of 1990, mostly straight after the lunchtime showing of "Neighbours". (The opening New Year's Day episode was shown before it).

Monday 1[SUP]st[/SUP] January 1990 Schedule
Tuesday 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] January 1990 Schedule
Wednesday 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] January 1990 Schedule
Thursday 4[SUP]th[/SUP] January 1990 Schedule
Friday 5[SUP]th[/SUP] January 1990 Schedule

I haven't watched it yet, but I did flick through it and it was sad seeing John. I had not long turned 4 years old, so I don't know what all was public knowledge at this time. And maybe it is because we have the benefit of hindsight but, in my eyes anyway, you can see that he is ill.

I am so proud that somebody with the sheer talent of John Curry came over here to do a coaching camp with our young skaters. And it is very telling that Neil Wilson went on to become a double British Champion. (He's changed a lot since then, but I still knew him as soon as I saw him! :laugh: But, apart from the length of her hair, Cathy Harrison hasn't changed at all! :shocked: )

And well done to the BBC for commissioning this series. :bow: :clap: :points: It just shows how much they thought of Figure Skating back then. And, by extension, how little they think of it now... :disapp:

CaroLiza_fan

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Wow. Thank you so much for finding this. :bow: :clap: :points:

I've done a bit of digging, and according to the BBC Genome project that has old Radio Times listings (what a wonderful thing!) it was broadcast on each day of the first week of 1990, mostly straight after the lunchtime showing of "Neighbours". (The opening New Year's Day episode was shown before it).

Monday 1[SUP]st[/SUP] January 1990 Schedule
Tuesday 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] January 1990 Schedule
Wednesday 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] January 1990 Schedule
Thursday 4[SUP]th[/SUP] January 1990 Schedule
Friday 5[SUP]th[/SUP] January 1990 Schedule

I haven't watched it yet, but I did flick through it and it was sad seeing John. I had not long turned 4 years old, so I don't know what all was public knowledge at this time. And maybe it is because we have the benefit of hindsight but, in my eyes anyway, you can see that he is ill.

I am so proud that somebody with the sheer talent of John Curry came over here to do a coaching camp with our young skaters. And it is very telling that Neil Wilson went on to become a double British Champion. (He's changed a lot since then, but I still knew him as soon as I saw him! :laugh: But, apart from the length of her hair, Cathy Harrison hasn't changed at all! :shocked: )

And well done to the BBC for commissioning this series. :bow: :points: It just shows how much they thought of Figure Skating back then. And, by extension, how little they think of it now... :disapp:

CaroLiza_fan

Thanks for finding the exact dates of broadcast, those old RT Listings are amazing! :cool:

John had come home to live with his Mother in Birmingham, it had been in all the papers that he had AIDS, and ofcourse at that time there was no treatment or cure so it was a terminal diagnosis. :( Also around this time he filmed an hour long interview with Barry Davies, as part of the Maestro series, which was broadcast on BBC 2.
It was repeated after his death in 1994, and this is Barry's introduction to the programme.

https://youtu.be/0Yh2a0OMGf8

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Yes, in the Yorkshire Post! Well done to the poster who contacted them! :agree:

It's a really great article too, with lots of interesting insight into a British Skater's life.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/spo...-bullies-in-his-bid-for-world-glory-1-9653850

Local Papers at their best. :cool:

Wow what a great article! It’s especially nice to hear he’s thinking about having a go at qualifying for Beijing. I wonder if that means he’ll try to introduce new elements like Harry Mattick did this season.

I hope that BIS put him forward for a GP spot like they did for Phil Harris. I know them doing that is no guarantee he’ll be picked and it might depend on whether he can qualify for the Free but I hope they do. I think he could be a real crowd pleaser, Graham, Karly and Natasha too!

As for Harry I think he’ll need to get a little more consistent with the 4T but hopefully he’ll be at plenty of CS events.

Andrea82

Medalist
Phil Harris officially retires

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvFR_jzHlU2/

Hi everyone! The time has finally come to hang up my boots and officially retire as an athlete ⛸
I was waiting to announce anything because if none of our current senior men qualified for the World Championships I was going to make the trip and represent the country one last time, however, a huge congratulations are in order for @pj_hallam for recently qualifying and saving me the trouble! Your hard work has gone a long way and you deserve it buddy, have an amazing time in Japan!
Since the #isugrandprix event in #Helsinki I have backed away from the competitive scene and I will now continue to put all my focus into coaching and choreography full time. Of course, I will still train on occasion, I always will, and I’m always available to perform if the opportunity arose, but the pressure is off and it’s time to relax.
Looking back from where I started in Blackpool it has been one hell of a ride! National titles, major championships, injuries, travelling the world and meeting so many incredible people just to name a few. I will be forever grateful of the journey I’ve had, and for the people involved.
We have been on this journey together and I really do love you all! ❤️❤️
It’s time to wave goodbye to these moments for now, and move on to the next stage of my career ��������#thankyounext .

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I’ll miss him. His Blues For Kooks program was lovely and he was improving every year! He placed above big names at Milan.

I wish him all the best and hope to see some of his students doing well!

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Lilah & Lewis interview

Published today https://europeonice.com/2019/03/17/fear-and-gibson-dancing-to-their-own-beat/

This quote takes us back to the beginning of this thread, rounding off the season nicely. :)

Fear said about their Europeans result. “We’re happy to have broken 180. That was definitely a goal of ours which seemed quite far off in the distance, but it’s amazing to have done that.”

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Are buckland and coomes done? Britain has some interest stories in their dance team and pairs. i wonder if people will catch on to the mother at 40 or 40 plus skating in pairs.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
^
They taking a break but they haven’t decided if they’re done. We’ll probably know by next season.

My friend worked of a program in 2017 that featured Graham, Zoe and Chris called something like “In A Year” about trying to make it to Pyongchang. They ended up being cut from the show though. So the media know about Zoe and Chris, it’ll be interesting to see what Robin and co say when they have the Pairs SP on the BBC.

Published today https://europeonice.com/2019/03/17/fear-and-gibson-dancing-to-their-own-beat/

This quote takes us back to the beginning of this thread, rounding off the season nicely. :)

Fear said about their Europeans result. “We’re happy to have broken 180. That was definitely a goal of ours which seemed quite far off in the distance, but it’s amazing to have done that.”

Let’s see if my 190 wish can come true! xD

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Natasha qualifies with a seasons best of 56.40 and the skate of her life. I’m so so happy! It’s a shame that others mistakes helped her but that’s the way it works in competition. Excited for Friday!

Edit: of course I can’t forget Zoe and Chris who did very well in the Pairs and skate again tomorrow!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
You should contact them and ask that they cover WC! Worst they could say is no!

Yes, in the Yorkshire Post! Well done to the poster who contacted them! :agree:

It's a really great article too, with lots of interesting insight into a British Skater's life.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/spo...-bullies-in-his-bid-for-world-glory-1-9653850

Local Papers at their best. :cool:

Yay! I'm happy PJ got his own feature after I asked :)
(Hoping it will bring more British attention to figure skating too)