2018-19 British figure skating | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2018-19 British figure skating

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Yup the events hall is in the opposite wing to the rink. Late last year I was a camera assistant on a grime concert there. Had to have been 800+ there with a huge stage and film gallery behind.

The estate it is on is huge! Parking, a small canteen and loads of dressing rooms.

I’m definitely not the sort of person how wants everything to be in London but it would be soo perfect! I don’t think the rink is Olympic sized, I’ll have to look into that.

On the contrary, it was a great opportunity for him, and he took it. His career wasn't going anywhere in Canada, and in truth, he's not as good as his younger brother. It's also been a bit of a steep learning curve for him to skate at this level, and will hopefully qualify for the FD this year.

That’s what I meant, I’m sorry I didn’t finish my post before publishing lol I mean skating for the UK means he gets to go to Junior Worlds while his brother can’t. Moving to London was a great opportunity for him! Hopefully the international experience works for him. He looks good in that video.

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I contacted the sports editor of the Yorkshire Post via Twitter!
see: https://twitter.com/xfionanx/status/1100525016704319488

He said they would look into it :)

I live in Sheffield and am really surprised to have seen no coverage of PJ Hallam's World's place. Even at the ice rink, there's no mention (and he skates/works there!). I wonder if the local papers (Sheffield Star and Sheffield Telegraph) might also be interested? It's such an achievement for him, and he's really deserving of support and success!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Yup the events hall is in the opposite wing to the rink. Late last year I was a camera assistant on a grime concert there. Had to have been 800+ there with a huge stage and film gallery behind.

The estate it is on is huge! Parking, a small canteen and loads of dressing rooms.

I’m definitely not the sort of person how wants everything to be in London but it would be soo perfect! I don’t think the rink is Olympic sized, I’ll have to look into that.

Thanks for the info! :thank:

Don't worry, I'm not one of those people either. There are too many things that automatically opt for London and don't even attempt to look elsewhere.

But, ice skating is different. NISA does the exact opposite, not even considering London. As we have been frequently complaining about in this thread, they only ever consider Nottingham and Sheffield. So, having an event somewhere else would be a nice change.

And, as I pointed out previously (here and here), although there has been a drought of ISU events in London for the past, oh, SIXTY NINE YEARS, there used to be a rich history of figure skating Majors being held in London (particularly in Westminster).

So, maybe get a Junior GP in London in 2020 to mark the 70[SUP]th[/SUP] anniversary of the last time the city hosted Worlds.

Hey, for that matter, it would be a nice touch if it could be held in the same venue, the Wembley Arena. But, booking that place would probably blow NISA's entire budget for the next 5 Olympic cycles! :eek:

Incidentally, I was just looking at the Calendar of Events for Wembley Arena trying to see if it is booked out for summer / autumn 2020, but the calendar only goes to the end of 2019.

However, I did see that Disney On Ice are there in a couple of weeks from now. So, if NISA and Disney could come to some sort of agreement to work together in holding a Junior GP and a DOI event back-to-back in summer / autumn 2020, it might ease the financial burden.

Although, looking through the Past Events on the DOI UK Facebook page, their autumn / winter tour is normally going around the country when the Junior GP Series is on, and only reaches London in December. And it is the Millennium Dome that it normally goes to for that tour, not the Wembley Arena. It is normally the spring tour that goes to Wembley.

With all this in mind, it's a pity that all the ISU Championships for 2020 have already been allocated to other cities.

The irony is that the UK HAS actually been granted an ISU Championship for spring 2020 - namely Synchro Junior Worlds. But, as ever, NISA has stuck to their "Nottingham or Sheffield" mentality, opting to hold this one in Nottingham.

Everything would have aligned perfectly for the Wembley Arena to have a big ice skating extravaganza in March 2020 (consisting of DOI and Synchro Junior Worlds) to mark 70 years since they hosted the Figure Skating Worlds in March 1950!

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

An opportunity lost. :disapp:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
And it gets better!

The 1950 Men's World Champion, Dick Button (USA), and the Ladies Silver Medallist, Jeanette Altwegg (GBR), will both be celebrating their 90[SUP]th[/SUP] birthdays in 2020. And the Pairs Silver Medallist, John Nicks (GBR), will have already turned 90 this year.

They could have been brought back to London for a big 90[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday bash at the venue of the 1950 Worlds as part of my ice skating extravaganza idea!

:disapp:

CaroLiza_fan

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
It really is an opportunity lost. Ally Pally would be perfect as even though the stands are small JGPs don’t attract big crowds. Have free entry and parking and hire a couple of catering trucks to supplement the canteen, perfect.

(Also did you guys see the comments below the On Ice Perspectives post? So many, including Ashley Wagner, are asking about the rink!)

I wonder if there is anything Skating fans could do to encourage BIS to bid for something, anything?

pesto

On the Ice
It really is an opportunity lost. Ally Pally would be perfect as even though the stands are small JGPs don’t attract big crowds. Have free entry and parking and hire a couple of catering trucks to supplement the canteen, perfect.

I've been to an event at Ally Pally, where they erected additional stands at one end of the rink, in addition to the permanent stands on one side.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm so glad my idea has taken off!! :laugh::dance:

CaroLiza_fan: Ally Pally rink opened almost 3 decades ago as a permanent rink, all year round, and has a busy social skating and skating club there. Karen Quinn / Alan Abretti (GB Icedance medalists, competed at Europeans in Birmingham 1989) teach there, along with other top coaches. They coached the Fear sisters & partners there, and still do when they are in London. It has a big Christmas Panto every year. Torvill & Dean were filmed rehearsing there in 1993 when they made their decision to come back to compete, the high arched windows are unmistakeable, and there's also a beautiful overview of London from outside the arena.
A lot of things do go on there at the site, food & drink festivals, concerts, and recently a Victorian Theatre has been restored. As you probably know, it was the original BBC Broadcasting site with the first ever TV studios. But that is all separate to the rink, which continues 365 days a year. Some folk from central London complain it's a bit too far out - it's North N.22 - but transport links are perfectly fine. If all the Darts fans can find it for the Championships, then I'm sure Skating fans could.

DSQ - It's not full size, so I was surprised by Jordan's comments, maybe being stuck in Bovingdon with the tiny DOI rink has affected him! :laugh: Before the British Championships and Sheffield IJS every year, the Fear Sisters go to train at Streatham for a few sessions, as that's the only Olympic sized rink in London (unless the new one at Romford is, but that's Essex/London).

My main reason for wanting to see Ally Pally host a JGP is that I think it would attract more of an audience. Whilst BIS puts all their eggs in the Sheffield basket, I don't see many spectators actually turning up to watch. Not compared to audiences at Skating events in the past at different venues. And I think the International audience would enjoy the environment of Ally Pally.

Many of us have been really missing the Autumn Internationals at Richmond Rink back in the 80s/early 90s, which were televised on ITV when ITV had the TV contract for Skating. I remember they even filmed a "Christmas Gala" there to broadcast one year, which the International competitors found highly amusing, as it was still October! Then the ISU introduced the GPs, Richmond closed down, ITV stopped covering Skating - and they used to show everything, Juniors, Seniors live for 3 hours on a Saturday afternoon. They did a great job when they had the contract. And we had legendary coach Betty Callaway & Nicky Slater doing commentary with Simon Reed, not some rock climber from Sheffield who was a total newbie. :confused::drama:

Lovin' the love for Ally Pally! The JGP Campaign starts here. :rock:

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Happy Birthday Matt! :yay:

Matt Parr, 2014 Winter Olympian in Sochi, in the Team Event, and ace commentator on the Singles at last year's British Championships. :agree:

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
^
He was great at nationals. I hope Eurosport took notes, him and king would be great additions to their rosters.

I’m going to look into seeing if BIS has any plans to host competitions by reading their yearly report that came out not that long ago. I really do think that Ally Pally hosting a competition is just to great an idea not to be considered!

In other news Luke Digby just posted on Instagram that he’s back on Ice after three months to recover. As much as it is sad he’s missing Junior Worlds perhaps this is a blessing in disguise as this break until next season means he’ll have more time to practice the 3A and (whisper it) maybe a quad?

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I live in Sheffield and am really surprised to have seen no coverage of PJ Hallam's World's place. Even at the ice rink, there's no mention (and he skates/works there!). I wonder if the local papers (Sheffield Star and Sheffield Telegraph) might also be interested? It's such an achievement for him, and he's really deserving of support and success!

I am surprised to hear that there is no mention. As Sheffield hosts the british championships every year you would think there would be a little more in the media!
I'm hoping his team might have called the local papers, if not then that is also a good idea! :)

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
It’s cool. Unfortunately it was in his story so I couldn’t link directly to it.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I thought I’d make a post about the Junior Worlds Team.

First up is Edward Appleby, 13 years old, who is the Junior bronze medalist. (I’m not sure why Elliot Thompson the silver medalist wasn’t selected but I’m sure there was a good reason.) He competed at the JGP Ljubljana: (SP https://youtu.be/WRev_rReKjk & FS https://youtu.be/8p-uPZFKbrg)

Being brutally honest? The jumps aren’t just not good - they’re bad. However he has some interesting spin positions and at 13 there’s plenty of time to grow. This will be a great learning experience for him.

Next up is Kristen Spours, 18 years old, Junior gold medalist and Senior bronze medalist. Her coach is Graham Newberry’s dad. She skated on the JGP in Bratislava and Ostrava: (SP https://youtu.be/79WVreH_PNE & https://youtu.be/Yk0UxaZCmeM - FS: https://youtu.be/2EuwS6L-Pb4).

She’s quite good! Good jumps and nice performance style. She came 15th at her first Junior Worlds in 2017, let’s hope for better this year! She’s definitely improved since then.

Finally Sasha Fear & George Waddell, 16 and 19 years old. They competed in the JGP in Ostrava and Kaunas.

(RD: https://youtu.be/tPewkByDMmk & https://youtu.be/LNz4rO3OVbg - FD https://youtu.be/0WzWPvY04ks & https://youtu.be/9FILFrMxJlw)

George is very strong and good with the lifts, he lifts Sasha like it’s nothing! Sasha is a great performer. Last year they just missed the cut off for the Free Dance, I think they won’t do that this year.

Special mention to Emilia Drury and Aidan Brown our Junior Pairs who were out with injuries this season but train at the same rink as Vanessa James and Morgan Cipre!

This is their 2017 British Nationals SP:

(https://youtu.be/AmbWsw5C0Bw)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think her husband is Canadian, and she now has Canadian citizenship. He was her partner on Battle of the Blades.

Maybe going on those skating shows brings about love and marriage. I believe Jamie Sale met her husband also on that show and Llody Eisler met his wife on a skating show too I think she was movie star.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Junior worlds is over, what did everyone think?

I think Kristen was a little underscored overall but she has proved she might be the biggest threat to Natasha come nationals.

Sasha and George is well but I think the FD score could have been higher but their placement was good. Next season they’ll continue to grow and their lifts are still awesome.

Edward did as well as he could. Hopefully over the summer they really work on those jumps as his spins were very nice.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
2019 Worlds News, Saitama

TV Coverage

Thank god for Eurosport Player with no commentary. Blocked on Twitter by the godawful Kat Downes, who is doing BBC commentary again for Worlds with Robin. So relieved that's not my only option to watch. My blood pressure & nerves couldn't take her again. :disapp:

Team GB

Natasha will probably be doing the loop for her combo and not the Lutz. That's what she's practising up in Dundee in her SP. ;)

PJ looking in daredevil good shape! :cool
:https://www.instagram.com/pj_hallam/p/Bu6tyF5HApx/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=11r8d9jde4y3k

There are 19 Pairs entered, and the ISU changed it to 20 for the Free, so that means Zoe & Chris will definitely qualify, which is good news, as they have a fabulous FP choreo'd by Catherine Papadakis. I'm not on FB, which is their domain, but are they an off ice couple now? :luv17:

I really hope Lilah & Lewis skate their absolute best in both programs and finish as high as possible (I'm hoping for top 10) and qualify 2 couples for next season. But mostly I hope they enjoy it, as they've truly made a 'breakthrough' this season for many international fans. Also hoping they travel early from Montreal, as Lilah said the jet lag at NHK was bad. Good Luck! :)

Enjoy Worlds everyone! :agree::hap10:

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Team GB

Natasha will probably be doing the loop for her combo and not the Lutz. That's what she's practising up in Dundee in her SP. ;)

:https://www.instagram.com/pj_hallam/p/Bu6tyF5HApx/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=11r8d9jde4y3k

I’m so happy PJ can get an ISU SB if nothing else. He and Tash have it in them to qualify to the Free but even if they don’t I hope they enjoy their Worlds experience.

There are 19 Pairs entered, and the ISU changed it to 20 for the Free, so that means Zoe & Chris will definitely qualify, which is good news, as they have a fabulous FP choreo'd by Catherine Papadakis. I'm not on FB, which is their domain, but are they an off ice couple now?

Aw that would be so sweet if it’s true!

I really hope Lilah & Lewis skate their absolute best in both programs and finish as high as possible (I'm hoping for top 10) and qualify 2 couples for next season. But mostly I hope they enjoy it, as they've truly made a 'breakthrough' this season for many international fans. Also hoping they travel early from Montreal, as Lilah said the jet lag at NHK was bad. Good Luck! :)

I think I’d cry if Lilah and Lewis make the top ten but I agree if they feel they’ve done their best I’ll be happy. To get two spots would be really good for whoever can qualify next season. Whether that be Penny and Nick :pray:, Robynne and Joe or even Eleanor and Anthony.

Top 12 as well would be good as, if I’m not mistaken, that would qualify them for two automatic spots at GP event?

TV Coverage

Thank god for Eurosport Player with no commentary. Blocked on Twitter by the godawful Kat Downes, who is doing BBC commentary again for Worlds with Robin. So relieved that's not my only option to watch. My blood pressure & nerves couldn't take her again. :disapp:

Wait does this mean the BBC are covering Worlds if Robin :)love:) is commentating? I can put up with Kat for Robin.

100% seconded. xx

Also thanks everyone for chatting in this thread about team GBR, it’s been a really interesting season and partly because I’ve been able to chat about it here with all of you. xx

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
TV Coverage

Team GB

There are 19 Pairs entered, and the ISU changed it to 20 for the Free, so that means Zoe & Chris will definitely qualify, which is good news, as they have a fabulous FP choreo'd by Catherine Papadakis. I'm not on FB, which is their domain, but are they an off ice couple now? :luv17:

I watched the BBC's coverage of the Olympics and I thought Robin Cousins was one of the best on air PBP/analysts I'd ever heard. He simply called the elements and waited until after the performance to give his analysis. I thought that was first rate. Of course he had a sidekick who was dragged in from the stock exchange news or the like (I mean, aren't they always) to read the 'background research/filler/silly trivia." About the only one I've ever enjoyed doing that is Terry Gannon, who at least is genuinely interested in the sport.

I'd be happy if I could watch Worlds with Robin commenting. Who cares about the sidekick?

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I watched the BBC's coverage of the Olympics and I thought Robin Cousins was one of the best on air PBP/analysts I'd ever heard. He simply called the elements and waited until after the performance to give his analysis. I thought that was first rate. Of course he had a sidekick who was dragged in from the stock exchange news or the like (I mean, aren't they always) to read the 'background research/filler/silly trivia." About the only one I've ever enjoyed doing that is Terry Gannon, who at least is genuinely interested in the sport.

I'd be happy if I could watch Worlds with Robin commenting. Who cares about the sidekick?

Terry probably watches and knows 100% more about Skating than Kat. It grates that the sport of Figure Skating has to make do with someone roped in from another field, whereas the likes of Football, Ruby and Cricket, which the Sports Editors who make these decisions consider real Sport and FS as merely girlies in swirly skirts, never would. It's BBC policy though, as this is the 4th one we've had. But some are less tolerable as they make crass interjections and constantly talk instead of shutting up and letting the expert speak. I think even Robin got exasperated with Kat "love the sound of my own voice even though I know nothing about FS" Downes.
Though, I accept, after several days of Pyeongchang coverage I had reached peak irritation and was hyper sensitive to anything she said. :drama::palmf:
IMO Robin is very good on Singles & Pairs, but less so on Dance.

Good News Update: Penny & Nick are on the team! :hap10:

Really hope we get to hear them actually commentate, on the Dance especially, and not just be talking heads in a studio pre and post competition. When they Commentated live on the Gala in Sochi with Sue Barker, and also on the SD after they had skated and went into the box, they were really good. :thumbsup: