Gilles and Poirier on 2018-19 season | Golden Skate

Gilles and Poirier on 2018-19 season

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ted Flett catches up with six-time Canadian national medalists Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier at 2018 Skate Canada High Performance Camp. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/Gdca0PE4-aw

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Terrific interview. Thank you!

I'm a little wary of "skating for the people." I've always thought G/P's best programs were those that challenged people to think out of the box. But you know de gustibus and all that jazz.

Govardo's cover of Don MacLean's Vincent can be seen here: I'm very much looking forward to their FD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsympXTv8eg

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I like the theme... not the music... i like ted ... not his beard.. :) looking forward to seeing them skate.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I feel bad for trashing the music now, obviously they have put a lot of effort into it :( But I just generally can't with these contemporary guitar guys who seem to think they are the first people to ever feel feelings.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Still think they should be skating to Shape of Water. But I guess we'll how this contemporary skate will be like at Nebelhorn. Hopefully it will be conceptually good enough so that they can reach the podium and not have to switch the FD around again like last year.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I feel bad for trashing the music now, obviously they have put a lot of effort into it :( But I just generally can't with these contemporary guitar guys who seem to think they are the first people to ever feel feelings.

Well you know I'm a total sucker for Sensitive White Men with Acoustic Guitars (shoot me, I started listening to the radio during the heyday of the Singer Songwriter), but this made me genuinely :laugh:. I think the singer has a lovely tone to his voice, but needs to learn a bit more control of it. And they need original material. Until they expand beyond a K-Tel Best Buskers Song Playlist, buskers they shall be. I kept thinking, a cello would make a big difference. And percussion (Carol Lane is right about that).

One thing for Piper and Paul I think is VERY WISE on their part is not to worry about a "finished" program too early in the season. Because so far it has led to them to Early Peaks then Valleys then a Mad Scramble To Reinvent The Wheel in the second half of the season. Just saying...

LadyB

Record Breaker
I'm a little wary of "skating for the people." I've always thought G/P's best programs were those that challenged people to think out of the box. But you know de gustibus and all that jazz.

I agree. Well, as long as they call it 'for the people' but don't actually change their approach - I'm happy.
Great interview, I love them more and more. :love:
I do like their guts to say that they'll keep experimenting throughout the GP season with a FD that is work in progress and see how it goes. That's what makes it so innovative. I very much hope it'll all fall into place for them, but if they'd have to change their programme again....it worked last time. Very best of luck to them! :cheer:

hyperbunny

Rinkside
Still think they should be skating to Shape of Water. But I guess we'll how this contemporary skate will be like at Nebelhorn. Hopefully it will be conceptually good enough so that they can reach the podium and not have to switch the FD around again like last year.

The shape of water has LOVELY music, I'm with you there. I am excited for the concept (and costumes!) for this program.