Stolbova and Klimov split / retirement | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Stolbova and Klimov split / retirement

gmyers

Record Breaker
Stolbova always was far above Klimov in talent and ability. If Stolbova could find a partner close to her level, she could achieve great things.

I totally disagree! Klimov had talent!! she needs someone who accepts her as far superior which Klimov didn’t because he was very good. She needs a massot type who accepts their inferiority and not act as equal even if they are.

Giselle

Medalist
Sad but expected.

I wish the best to Fedor and Ksenia for the future!

Fedor has got to be one of the most underrated male partners :scratch2:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I totally disagree! Klimov had talent!! she needs someone who accepts her as far superior which Klimov didn’t because he was very good. She needs a massot type who accepts their inferiority and not act as equal even if they are.

I'm not sure there are many people (male OR female) who want to be part of Fifty Shades of Stolbova.

Fedor is not only very underrated, I often thought he should be at least beatified.

GarthAqua

On the Ice
Given the rumours and silence, kind of expected. Who else wants to see Stolbova team up with Bilodeau?

Rumor says Stolbova will pair up with Andrei Novoselov, an Ukraine-born Russian pair skater who represented France in the past few years. Seriously worrying about their twist because she is not a fast twist spinner and he does not have a strong twist height.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Rumor says Stolbova will pair up with Andrei Novoselov, an Ukraine-born Russian pair skater who represented France in the past few years. Seriously worrying about their twist because she is not a fast twist spinner and he does not have a strong twist height.
well S/K's twist was their weakest element... but now it may be Didier ;) will he release the "French guy"

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
well S/K's twist was their weakest element... but now it may be Didier ;) will he release the "French guy"
Naturally Didier won't, not if Russia hasn't someone or something to offer in return.
The split is not unexpected ... I really like Fedor better than Ksenia. I got the feeling she treated him less like an accessory in the last couple of months ... maybe she already expected this. And he really made the best of his accessory role imo, he's just a very very fine pair skater. She needs a new accessory and he could shine more with a new partner. But skills wise it's going to be a downgrade for both.

I don't think you can compare Aljona to Ksenia. Aljona always knew what she had in her partners, I don't think Ksenia ever reached this level of wisdom.

QuadThrow

Medalist
I have heart romours about her split long ago.

Stolbova should be practicing with Andrei Novoselov. I thought this is not a romour anymore.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Not unexpected given past rumors around their split, but this means we don't see them for a while in competition which makes the current meager pair field less exciting to watch. That's a shame and a great loss. I don't think Klimov would find a partner with Stolbova's caliber while she surely can or even can a better one if she opens her option to foreign skaters like Savchenko or even she can be in Volosozhar's shoes.

I also don't think Klimov is an underrated male partner at all. He has good SS and jumps similarly matching to Stolbova's excellence and perhaps presentation as well, latter of which is highly subjective though. It's not Ksenia's fault that she has strong charisma and great presence on ice while he isn't. Her presence enriched the team's character in my opinion.

On the other hand, his twist, throws, lifts are honestly not up to par with top classes in the current field. I think it would be better for him to retire as he has struggled a lot with injuries which critically have impacted on not only their performance but also perhaps on their their health. Besides, Fedor seems to be interested in coaching, so he would not be unseen in the field somehow. I hope Stolbova doesn't rush to find a new partner as she needs a really good one if she continues until Beijing or even more.

madforskating

On the Ice
Super sad to hear this news...not unexpected but definitely heartbreaking, they were a one-of-a-kind pair for me. They had something truly beautiful with each other.

For some reason, Fedor always gets so much crap for being "not as good as Ksenia" and I want to hit something! He is rock solid on his jumps, he has great skating skills, he actually moves his feet in the lifts, and he tries his best with twist even though his shoulder was blown out and he isn't massive like Bruno Massot. Personally if I could choose a pairs partner, I'd want to skate with either him or Radford.

Also, Bruno is amazing in his own right, let's not forget that.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I'm sad, but not surprised.
After Sochi I thought that when they start winning no one will stop them. Unfortunately, it never happened. :(

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Super sad to hear this news...not unexpected but definitely heartbreaking, they were a one-of-a-kind pair for me. They had something truly beautiful with each other.

For some reason, Fedor always gets so much crap for being "not as good as Ksenia" and I want to hit something! He is rock solid on his jumps, he has great skating skills, he actually moves his feet in the lifts, and he tries his best with twist even though his shoulder was blown out and he isn't massive like Bruno Massot. Personally if I could choose a pairs partner, I'd want to skate with either him or Radford.

Also, Bruno is amazing in his own right, let's not forget that.
Bruno was okay but more like a puppy following its leader. Savchenko was a diva; very few partners could match that. Too bad there isn't a Russian man with enough charisma and power (maybe retired Trankov) to match Diva Ksenia. But my heart sankthough this was expected. With olympic retirements and so many not skating the GrandPrix or this year - Mirai, Asley, Weaver and Poje, Osmond, and very iffy Kostner I just want to cry. S/K had so much potential. Another one bites the dust:( Now the state of Russianpairs skating is officially not so hot.

Weathergal

Medalist
Kind of sad how they are rising because of splits and retirements.

I disagree that this is why they're rising. Yes, many skaters will "rise up the ranks" because of splits and retirements. This is normal. But they have already been on the rise by working on their consistency and having some great programs.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Bruno was okay but more like a puppy following its leader. Savchenko was a diva; very few partners could match that. Too bad there isn't a Russian man with enough charisma and power (maybe retired Trankov) to match Diva Ksenia.
I disagree. When you watch pair skating it's only natural that you look at the woman, a great part of the job of a male pair skater is to present the woman. He shouldn't overshadow her. So diva Ksenia could shine because of Fedor. And Aljona chose Bruno, I doubt that he was the only option she had and she stayed with him although it wasn't clear that the French Fed would ever release him. She knew what she wanted and she knew how talented he was. Calling Bruno a puppy just isn't right. He took great personal and financial risks to skate with Aljona and I have huge respect for him and his skills. He's a very very good pair skater now. Aljona looks better than ever also because of Bruno.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Some comments on this thread are really ... interesting :laugh2:
Ksenia deserves every credit she can get. She’s a top skater, she’s beautiful and she speaks her mind. If that scares some people, I feel very sorry for those tender souls :console:
As for Fedor: I’ve experienced it more than once that I posted a pic on IG/Twitter of S/K in action or just Fedor in a particular move, and I’ve got feedback from someone close to the professional skating community who told me that he’s undervalued and his movements were just perfect. No joke, I wouldn’t know, but I believe an expert. And all those people were either familiar names or I checked them out.
They both want to continue and are already trialling potential partners. It’ll never be the same, as SK were electric on the ice and totally sexy. The way they were acting while skating, they just matched each other in class and looks. Oh well, I wish them both the utmost happiness and success :luv17:
Deputat would be lovely (my Katia knew what she was doing marrying him ;) but is he not training to become a skating judge? It’s also been a while. Smirnov would be my choice...
But Bilodeau?????? He’s not even in his dreams anywhere near the class of Fedor or Ksenia. Although, TAT said the fed might drive Ksenia out of the country if they won’t help her to find a new partner.