Stolbova and Klimov split / retirement | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Stolbova and Klimov split / retirement

madforskating

On the Ice
Sopot from juniors. He is very tall, pretty strong and his partner measures 169cm, so I don’t think they will last long term. Getting someone as tiny as Ksenia would be great for him. And he will be moving to seniors next season anyway because he is aging out. He is younger than Ksenia, but so is Cipres younger than Vanessa James.

That would be perfect! I think Ksenia is only 157 or 158cm so it would be a huge improvement for him, although on the other hand if he is so big, he may think throwing a girl who is 169cm is no problem for him (look at the American pair Cain/LeDuc for an example of a very tall girl skating with a very tall guy). A very good choice though!

madforskating

On the Ice
Which is why Deputat or Smirnov would be fantastic, but it's not gonna happen, and Lubov is nowhere near Fedor's league, I'm afraid.

A little tip to all those who like to portrait Ksenia as an ice cold, spiteful and arrogant b***h (cause that is what a diva/queen/tsarina or any such nonsense means to me): It's been said many times in interviews that she is totally determined when on the ice. She wants to win and she takes no prisoners. Surprise, surprise, she's a professional athlete. In her programmes she plays a role and she plays it very well. Javi is neither Don Quixote nor Charlie Chaplin, but he plays the parts in a superb fashion. Acting is part of the job.

I'm sure that anyone who has ever followed Ksenia's IG or VK accounts knows that fun-loving, belly-laughing, good time party girl who has lots of friends all over the world. Maybe the WeaPos would have a different description of her personality (in particular Kate). She is a very careing and loving daughter to her mum whom she adores. We all know those people who are intimidated by a beautiful young woman with her own mind. Well,...

PREACH IT! I don’t know how many times I have had to tell people this! She is a strong competitor and that is all. She has always known what she wants and she is determined to get it. Heaven forbid she gets angry at her partner in public once in nine years! Heaven forbid a young woman is strong and confident! And yes, I’m sure WeaPo can vouch for her, she seems like she has lots of fun with her girl friends when she’s not skating. And her pics with her mom always make me smile, I remember the story when her mom had a health situation and Ksenia came up to St Petersburg to take care of her even though Ksenia herself was injured and had trouble walking. I think the people who really know her will always stand by her, and the haters are just ignorant. In fact, I’ve seen Morgan Cipres give more frightening glares to his partner Vanessa and I don’t think many people hold it against him. I guess that’s the sexist way this world runs...

Luba is adorable and her arm extension is beyond amazing, but she would need some help on jumps. No worries, she is happily skating in Cirque du Soleil and won’t be coming back to Russia anytime soon. And Kristina Astakhova would’ve been an option, but she has retired. Lola Esbrat is available but I still think someone like Fedor could get someone a little better. Then again, this Pavlova girl isn’t exactly a world champion either (yet!). Hmm, I heard Aliona Savchenko was considering a sixth Olympics but Bruno is moving on with a family...that woman won’t stop until she’s won everything ten times haha :biggrin:

madforskating

On the Ice
I've heard she's left choreographers in tears because of her attitude (the one you see on ice and in the KnC). There are other skaters who are determined and want to win (and do win), but are still pleasant to work with. Just putting it out there, no desire to get into a big discussion. However that might make it difficult for her to find a new partner.

Where did you happen to hear this? Is it a poor translation? I remember once she said one of her choreographers was trying to pull emotions from her and Ksenia ended up crying, perhaps that is what you read?

madforskating

On the Ice
Sad. At their best, they were a stunning couple. For me, Stolbova has been the most expressive, dramatic, alluring woman in pairs, ;way above any other. Had this been married to technical excellence, then they would have been formidable.

Obviously I don't personally know them, ;but their public persona this last couple of seasons if anything seemed more chilled and relaxed than before. Maybe realisation had caught up that they couldn't force it to happen against adversity.

I wish them both success with whatever they choose to do - I certainly don't want to lose either of them from the sport - but most of all I wish them happiness. That's more important than anything else.

Yes. I do feel like any tension in their attitudes was a result of the extreme stress they were under though. They tried so hard to make it work and eventually they just couldn’t manage. I’m so sorry to see them split, but I think it might be healthier in the long run.

madforskating

On the Ice
I think to be competitive you often or do have a bit or a lot of bite. I hear that the Diva herself Savchenko wasn't always easy to deal with and same with Hanyu - they want to win and they know what it takes. Nice guys usually do finish last sadly.

Savchenko is a great example of this! She is a fierce competitor and stubborn as heck, but she’s also totally adorable when she’s hanging out with Alexa Knierim and her words about Denis Ten when he died made me tear up. She has two sides to her, a professional and a personal one, as do most people.

madforskating

On the Ice
Sorry, my mistake for not being clear. I was referring to the well-documented friendship between Kaitlyn Weaver and Ksenia. WeaPos are worshipped and treated by their fans often like divine creatures. If they (WeaPos) love Ksu, she can't be that horrible! :biggrin:

Exactly! WeaPo are the sweetest people, it’s impossible not to love and worship them. That is one of the perks Ksenia will have if she does choose to skate with Novoselov and train under Nikolai Morozov (eek!) - she will be training with WeaPo and she will have supportive friends there every day.

madforskating

On the Ice
No offence to her fans but the only Queen in pairs skating is W. Sui. There is a balance that Ksenia has never been able to attain to make her compelling, by that I mean both aloof and likeable. I found her and Fedor impressive athletically and sometimes downright scary but I didn't feel compelled to watch their programs over and over. Sui and Han I found more intriging than some of our best ice dancers! She needs to find that balance, because within this last quad she had become much too inconsistent.

Who says there can’t be more than one queen? They are all beautiful and amazing in their own way. I like Wenjing Sui too, she is so fierce and gorgeous, but that doesn’t mean the other girls in this sport aren’t amazing too. This isn’t Game of Thrones where only one person can rule :) Strong and talented women need to stick together, not compete with each other about who has the best hair, etc.

madforskating

On the Ice
I really, really thought after Sochi that S/K were going to be the next great Russian pairs team. I feel like injuries really stalled their career together. Whatever their futures hold I hope they are both happy and healthy.

I really feel sorry for kevinVchicago. He loved Ksenia.

Tell him he can come cry with me anytime he wants!

Also for anyone who wants to reminisce with me, I have an Instagram account dedicated to them, you can look at some nice throwbacks and photo edits https://www.instagram.com/queenkseniakingfedor/

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Exactly! WeaPo are the sweetest people, it’s impossible not to love and worship them. That is one of the perks Ksenia will have if she does choose to skate with Novoselov and train under Nikolai Morozov (eek!) - she will be training with WeaPo and she will have supportive friends there every day.
Run away Ksenia, run away!
Unless you want to fall his hundredth pray! :laugh: :disapp:
You in danger, gurl!
Don't let him enamour you and hurl!

:slink:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Excuse me? As you prefer W.Sui more than K.Stolbova, some people prefer K.Stolbova than Sui. Or Aliona, or Meagan, or Vanessa, or Evgenia, or Valentina, or Xiaoyu, or Kirsten, or Julianne, etc.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

We live in a world with many queens.

perspicuosity

Rinkside
Hmm, I heard Aliona Savchenko was considering a sixth Olympics but Bruno is moving on with a family...that woman won’t stop until she’s won everything ten times haha :biggrin:

This is a v. good idea. Savchenko and Klimov. Though his shoulder is busted, so she will have to do the male role (I hope he can twist quickly)

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
No offence to her fans but the only Queen in pairs skating is W. Sui. There is a balance that Ksenia has never been able to attain to make her compelling, by that I mean both aloof and likeable. I found her and Fedor impressive athletically and sometimes downright scary but I didn't feel compelled to watch their programs over and over. Sui and Han I found more intriging than some of our best ice dancers! She needs to find that balance, because within this last quad she had become much too inconsistent.

First off, we're all entitled to our own opinions ;). Second, I meant "Queen" in reference to her demeanor, the way she owned the ice.
My one and only true Queen of pairs will forever be Aljona Savchenko :bow: closely followed by Ekaterina Gordeeva.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Ksenia, for me, is an archduchess. Very powerful, but not reigning ... no big title ...

hanca

Record Breaker
Ksenia, for me, is an archduchess. Very powerful, but not reigning ... no big title ...

You mean except of the Olympics silver in individual event at Olympics 2014 and gold from the same Olympics team event? That’s interesting, since when two medals from Olympic don’t count as a big title?

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
You mean except of the Olympics silver in individual event at Olympics 2014 and gold from the same Olympics team event? That’s interesting, since when two medals from Olympic don’t count as a big title?
Yes, she has very desireable medals. But still no championships title (except for the Russian championships of course, to me it has to be an international title). And yes, she's an Olympic champion, but she won that title in the team event. Not enough for me to call her a queen. She's "only" a member of the royal household. ;)

bramweld

Record Breaker
Yes, she has very desireable medals. But still no championships title (except for the Russian championships of course, to me it has to be an international title). And yes, she's an Olympic champion, but she won that title in the team event. Not enough for me to call her a queen. She's "only" a member of the royal household. ;)

All fun and joke aside now guys, how do you restart a career at this age if you're not willing to push the boundaries like Aljona and Wenjing? Russian pair skating has rarely ever been about choreography with the exception of maybe K/S in recent times. It's all power, speed, acrobatics and tricks. China, Canada and Germany have been incorporating real elements of dance and they've all managed to push the quality of the sport to another level, I don't see that in any Russian pair now junior or senior.

lyndichee

Medalist

I can't believe this is a topic of debate lol

The right partnership might make all the difference. Personally I think Ksenia doesn't lack a unique factor about her skating; she's very captivating and alluring. I think she just needs to hammer down the technical; getting 3T-3T and fixing her twist will make the biggest difference.