Stolbova and Klimov split / retirement | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Stolbova and Klimov split / retirement

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I can't believe this is a topic of debate lol

The right partnership might make all the difference. Personally I think Ksenia doesn't lack a unique factor about her skating; she's very captivating and alluring. I think she just needs to hammer down the technical; getting 3T-3T and fixing her twist will make the biggest difference.
I'm willing to discuss almost anything. :biggrin:

I agree Ksenia is special, captivating and alluring. But the main problem will be the 3T-3T. Even if she's able to find a partner who can do 3T-3T consistently, I doubt that she'll ever be able to make this combo reliable, even at her best the rotation was questionable. And she's getting older and I don't think she'll be able to go to Mishin for some extra training sessions.
By the way, I don't think they ever really needed a triple-triple or a throw quad. I think they spent too much time on upping their technical, causing all those injuries. A year ago I thought that Aljona and Bruno would definitely need that quad twist. Ok, against a stellar Sui/Han they would have needed it, but going clean is still the most important thing. I think that Stolbova/Klimov could have grabbed some championships titles on their way, if they would have been a little bit more conservative technically.

madforskating

On the Ice
Run away Ksenia, run away!
Unless you want to fall his hundredth pray! :laugh: :disapp:
You in danger, gurl!
Don't let him enamour you and hurl!

:slink:

Obviously I'm not in support of anything that old creep Morozov does, especially since Ksenia is young and beautiful and needs to be protected at all times...I was just excited that she would be training with her friends Kaitlyn and Andrew.

hanca

Record Breaker
Yes, she has very desireable medals. But still no championships title (except for the Russian championships of course, to me it has to be an international title). And yes, she's an Olympic champion, but she won that title in the team event. Not enough for me to call her a queen. She's "only" a member of the royal household. ;)
I am sure if you were a skater and were told that you can swap your world medal for an Olympic medal, you wouldn’t hesitate! Olympic medals are much more rare, so having two from Olympics is more than having medals from Europeans or worlds.

hanca

Record Breaker
Obviously I'm not in support of anything that old creep Morozov does, especially since Ksenia is young and beautiful and needs to be protected at all times...I was just excited that she would be training with her friends Kaitlyn and Andrew.

That creep, as you call him, has talent for creating champions. Miky Ando was nothing special and I don’t believe she would have her medals if she wasn’t coached by him. Besides, Stolbova is far too assertive to be used by someone like Morozov. If something happens between them, it will be because she wanted it. And she is old enough to make that decision. Let them get on with it and see what they create on the ice.

madforskating

On the Ice
I can't believe this is a topic of debate lol

The right partnership might make all the difference. Personally I think Ksenia doesn't lack a unique factor about her skating; she's very captivating and alluring. I think she just needs to hammer down the technical; getting 3T-3T and fixing her twist will make the biggest difference.

The first time I saw Ksenia in Sochi I was blown away. She had the most beautiful flow out of the throw triple salchow at the end and I just thought, "This girl is insane!" Her skating skills are amazing, she has sass in spades, and she has hit that 3T+3T a couple times (I hope her new partner is also able to learn 3-3 so she can use it!). If she can rotate the twist a little faster and get someone with a working shoulder, I think she has a chance.

madforskating

On the Ice
That creep, as you call him, has talent for creating champions. Miky Ando was nothing special and I don’t believe she would have her medals if she wasn’t coached by him. Besides, Stolbova is far too assertive to be used by someone like Morozov. If something happens between them, it will be because she wanted it. And she is old enough to make that decision. Let them get on with it and see what they create on the ice.

I do agree that she is a mature woman and not some naive girl who can be easily taken advantage of, so I am not worried. I just personally don't like him very much, even though he is a good coach.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I am sure if you were a skater and were told that you can swap your world medal for an Olympic medal, you wouldn’t hesitate! Olympic medals are much more rare, so having two from Olympics is more than having medals from Europeans or worlds.
Hmm ... I guess I wouldn't swap a World title (meaning gold) for any Olympic medal. I would want to be called "World Champion" (but yes, Ksenia can be called "Olympic champion"). I just think they both could have achieved more and they haven't achieved enough (for me) so that Ksenai can be called queen. Because looking back at Sochi - Tatiana was the queen (or the empress), then Adelina was a princess (or the queen), Yulia was a princess, too so there's no title left for Ksenia because I wouldn't ever call Ksenia a princess, that just doesn't fit her personality.

Tutto

Record Breaker
I think Ksenia would have made a wonderful single skater - she has charisma in spades, gorgeous SS and her jumps are not bad she could have worked on it. Maybe it is not too late even now, only of course she would have to change the country

nguyhm

On the Ice
Is Smirnov available? I thought one of the reasons why K/S retired was due to his injuries (and hers as well). Knesia training under Moskvina would be divine.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Not necessarily. Nathan Chen was asked if he would exchange his World Champion gold for an Olympic medal, and he said, with a genuine, sweet smile. "No. I wouldn't change it."

I had the feeling that for him it was about the experience. I wouldn't see that -- the quality of the experience -- changing in the future, for most skaters or for Nathan.

It's an interesting thought: would Ksenia or Klimov exchange their OSM for a world gold? I would doubt it. How it's perceived by fans is a different question.

Amei

Record Breaker
Not necessarily. Nathan Chen was asked if he would exchange his World Champion gold for an Olympic medal, and he said, with a genuine, sweet smile. "No. I wouldn't change it."

I had the feeling that for him it was about the experience. I wouldn't see that -- the quality of the experience -- changing in the future, for most skaters or for Nathan.

It's an interesting thought: would Ksenia or Klimov exchange their OSM for a world gold? I would doubt it. How it's perceived by fans is a different question.

Didn't Klimov/Stolbova elect to not go to Worlds in 2015 so that they could train new moves*? That to me says they wouldn't trade an Olympic for a world medal.

*I remember this causing a lot of discussion on this board as the only reasons we've ever seen a skater not go to Worlds is either a) if they were hurt or b) it was an Olympic year; never so that they could 'train new moves"

hanca

Record Breaker

I am not talking about changing a medal for a medal, but if they got choice whether they want to win worlds or Olympics, most of them will say that Olympics. There is lots of worlds champions, but not many Olympics champions around.

Maybe ask Aliona why worlds medals were not enough for her.

madforskating

On the Ice
I think Ksenia would have made a wonderful single skater - she has charisma in spades, gorgeous SS and her jumps are not bad she could have worked on it. Maybe it is not too late even now, only of course she would have to change the country

She skated singles until she was 14 but switched because she thought pairs would be more fun. She could’ve been a real Katarina Witt kind of star, but I love her as a pair skater. I even would like to see her as an ice dancer because her skating skills are so good and then she wouldn’t have to do jumps (Cizeron, are you available?)

madforskating

On the Ice
Is Smirnov available? I thought one of the reasons why K/S retired was due to his injuries (and hers as well). Knesia training under Moskvina would be divine.

I would love Stolbova/Smirnov under Moskvina more than anything. But I think Smirnov is happily retired...also the last thing Ksenia needs is another partner with chronic injuries.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am not talking about changing a medal for a medal, but if they got choice whether they want to win worlds or Olympics, most of them will say that Olympics. There is lots of worlds champions, but not many Olympics champions around.

Maybe ask Aliona why worlds medals were not enough for her.

I'm not trying to argue with you. Your sentence that I responded to said,

Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
I am sure if you were a skater and were told that you can swap your world medal for an Olympic medal, you wouldn’t hesitate!

and I disagreed with that sentence and used the example of Nathan.

I love Aljona and am overjoyed that she and Bruno won OGM, but I actually don't believe it was just about worlds medals being "not enough" for her. I think that she went after different aspects of her skating and wanted different things with Bruno, and it wasn't just about Olympic gold. I may be in the minority on that, though.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
PMFJ, but I wish 'retirement' was edited out of this thread's title. I see it still sticking around, and keep coming here just to see if one of them did actually retire. But last I heard, both are eager to continue... just saying.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I love Aljona and am overjoyed that she and Bruno won OGM, but I actually don't believe it was just about worlds medals being "not enough" for her. I think that she went after different aspects of her skating and wanted different things with Bruno, and it wasn't just about Olympic gold. I may be in the minority on that, though.
I agree, although I think she really wanted that Olympic title! But she invested too much from an athletic and artistic point of view to say that it was only that. She simply loves this sport.

By the way - I think that Stolbova Klimov skipped Worlds in 2015 because they were afraid of losing to Duhamel/Radford. They wanted to be the No. 1 team going into the next Olympics. I think that was the worst decision they ever made. Ok, maybe not. Maybe splitting is the worst decision they ever made.

russell30

Final Flight
I agree, although I think she really wanted that Olympic title! But she invested too much from an athletic and artistic point of view to say that it was only that. She simply loves this sport.

By the way - I think that Stolbova Klimov skipped Worlds in 2015 because they were afraid of losing to Duhamel/Radford. They wanted to be the No. 1 team going into the next Olympics. I think that was the worst decision they ever made. Ok, maybe not. Maybe splitting is the worst decision they ever made.

Duhamel and Radford's stellar year!

russell30

Final Flight
Sorry to hear of this split between Stolbova/Klimov there was a lot of speculation few months ago....I can see Ksenia getting a new partner but who?? not many around and would be a shame for Russia if she is lost to another country (as per Tats! interview+comments)...Hope Rus fed can find a good person for her...I was thinking Andrei Deputat but not sure if he has retired?? -- Alexander Enbert would be good but not fair on Natalia?? as she's a good skater..