Zijun Li Officially Retires | Golden Skate

Zijun Li Officially Retires

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

After a wide variety of entanglements and careful consideration, I am announcing a tough decision that I just have made: I am going to end my skating life and officially retire .As a professional athlete, I have been always aware of that my professional athletic career will end on day, but at the decision-making moment, I feel it is so reluctant and rough.I started to skate when I was five years old. At that time, I didn't understand what a dream was, but I was full of interest in skating. Unexpectedly, in the past 17 years, skating gradually turned from my interest to my career and mission. I never had thought that skating has filled my life in the past 17 years.
Although the life of a athlete is repeated and tiring, it is pure and tenacious. I was focusing on improving my skill, going beyond my limit and achieving better result. My daily mood was up and down due to my performances but it is totally worth the bitterness and injuries that I suffered as I look back to see all I have gained along the journey.
I have spent my entire youth on this ice arena but from this point I am going to leaving behind all the memories that have brought me sadness, challenge, frustration but opportunity, happiness and glory.
Along the way, I won honours, experienced bitterness, overcame injuries, and left no regret. This piece of ice is the beginning point of my life and the home of my first dream. During the pass 17 years, I never changed my mind and I stayed true to my mission. Although I am going to leave the stadium, I will not leave this ice arena and will not leave the figure skating career that I love. After retiring, I will continue to devote myself into instructing new talents and I hope they will all have a bright future with my help.I am very grateful for all the supports and encouragement for this many years. There is nothing like figure skating that brings me so much feelings and growth.At this moment, there is mixed feelings in my heart. I just want to express my deepest appreciation to my country, my parents, all my coaches and instructors, my friends and all my supporters. I am ready to embrace the new chapter of my life and I will continue being with you all

https://www.instagram.com/lizijunn/p/BqIAVxRBFeO/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=gzpmkpq0yk1h

I’m a very sad panda :cry:

Midnightcass

On the Ice
Wishing her all the best and I hope to see her in the Kiss and Cry one day soon with her new student.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Zijun certainly brought us lots of wonderful moments! Best of luck to her!

frida80

Record Breaker
:cry:

Thank you, Zijun. You really were a lovely skater. All the best as you move on to your next adventure.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I feel like she came really short of her potential for reasons beyond her control.

Spinning

On the Ice
Been mentally prepared for her retirement but still sad nevertheless. Thank you for so many fond memories Zijun.

Good luck and go enjoy life!

withwings

On the Ice
Zijun Li brought on the ice some etherical, timeless beauty of skating...imho she had her individual style and presence which was distinct- thank you Zijun for all the wonderful moments your skating brought!

I am sure that Zijun will be a good coach. Yes, it was not given to her to skate her potential but this may give her a wisdom, a wisdom to be a good coach, and to guide her students towards opening their potential to fullest.

Danny T

Medalist
I'm sad, but at the same time kind of reassured this announcement is by her own terms, as far as possible. A big case of "what-if" for me, but well, this is skating and rarely ever potential comes true. I wish her all the best in her future endeavours :luv17:

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
I thought she was a beautiful skater, so elegant and stylish but sadly never quite delivered on her promise. I liked her Sleeping Beauty but my favourite performance of hers was ‘Only for love’ in Cup of Russia 2016, so emotional. The audience were enthralled. It had one of the most epic ending poses ever

https://youtu.be/bOvFDSVH4sE

I wish her all the best in her retirement and look forward to seeing her as a coach in the K&C in the years to come.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I hope she is happy with her decision and that it is her decision. I will h ave to read her retirement post again = it seems so colorfull and nuanced - maybe i am reading too much into stuff but I am not so sure skating and the whole process was all that happy.

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
Wish her all the best - thank you Zijun for all you've brought to the skating world!

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
I'm happy she seems to have a good head on her shoulders and is in a good place mentally about retirement, but I do wish her federation had appreciated her more during her competitive career.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Hm...I thought she had already announced her retirement earlier this year??? :confused:

Anyways, she has always been one of my big favourites. She brought such class and elegance to the ice, and I will truly miss her. :cry:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I hope she will be happy. She is a beautiful skater. To me, clearly the best Chinese singles lady since Lu Chen.

DiamondDust

Final Flight
Aww... good luck to her future endeavors. Her skating is pure and always had a very lovely quality. Definitely loved her "East of Eden" program.