Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pairs' FINAL
Official Site: http://bit.ly/CSZagreb

#AlisaEFIMOVA / #AlexanderKOROVIN 183.89
#AlexaSCIMECAKNIERIM / #ChrisKNIERIM 182.84
#DeannaSTELLATODUDEK / #NathanBARTHOLOMAY 176.44

#AshleyCAIN / #TimothyLEDUC - They took a nasty fall. Ashley in neck brace with ice pack on back of head. Here's hoping she will be ok! Warriors! They finished the program!

cain.png

https://youtu.be/UaJWkeG-DsE?t=419 (starts before fall)

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with Jackie Wong about Ashley & Tim.

This. Skate. Should. Have. Been. Stopped.
So scary:cry:

But congrats to the medalists:clap:

twirlingaround

Rinkside
I agree with Jackie Wong about Ashley & Tim.

This. Skate. Should. Have. Been. Stopped.
So scary:cry:

But congrats to the medalists:clap:

Not only should the Referee be accountable, but the Coach nor any USFSA representative attempted to intervene and stop the skate. All these people should be held accountable

lavoix

Match Penalty
Seriously their coach is doing something wrong, I always hold my breath with her skaters when they're on the ice.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is the most ridiculous thing i have seen in skating since Hanyu skated his LP at COC with a bandage on his head. If coaches won't do anything to protect their skaters then the judges need to step in. Skaters will always try to push through but they are not thinking about their health at that moment and someone needs to protect them from themselves.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Seriously their coach is doing something wrong, I always hold my breath with her skaters when they're on the ice.

The coach of Cain/LeDuc is her father. We don’t know if he was attempting to stop it. But it wasn’t his role to do so. The referee should have whistled the moment Ashley’s head hit the ice.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

If you are talking about Ashley & Tim, I think you may be mistaken. “Her”???? And why would you hold your breath when Brooklee Han or Jimmy Ma go on the ice?

To jump off on other posts, this is NOT the coaches’ fault. This is NOT the USFS fault. This is certainly NOT the poor skater’s fault.

Why have a referee if he or she is not going to do their job? I am very disappointed :disapp:

Prayers for Ashley’s health :pray: and for Timothy, who must be devastated.:sad21:

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I blame the ISU. They have failed to truly put safety first. The ref should have blown the whistle. Skaters should have it drilled into them that you do not attempt to move a skater after such a fall. As devastated asTim must be by the fall imagine how he would feel today if Ashley had suffered a spinal cord injury aggravated by his attempt at picking her up.

I hope that this is a wake up call for the ISU

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The referees have been useless this year. This was obviously the worst example, but you also have the referee not blowing the whistle at the Internationaux de France when a placard fell on the ice during Lu and Mitrofanov's performance and a spectator jumped onto the ice to clear it, and the referee at JGP Slovakia not stopping the program when a kid threw a stuffed animal onto the ice during Bashynska and Beaumont's free dance and they visible had to stop and talk to each other about how to skate around it.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I blame the ISU. They have failed to truly put safety first. The ref should have blown the whistle. Skaters should have it drilled into them that you do not attempt to move a skater after such a fall. As devastated asTim must be by the fall imagine how he would feel today if Ashley had suffered a spinal cord injury aggravated by his attempt at picking her up.

I hope that this is a wake up call for the ISU

I agree mostly, but disagree with the point that skaters must have it drilled into them. Skaters are not doctors, or EMTs, and should not have to think about that.

The *minute* Ashley’s head hit the ice, the whistle blows and a trained medical team comes out. Just like the NFL and its concussion protocol. And the referee says to Tim, just stand there, so Tim in a moment of crisis doesn’t even need to think about it.

Timothy has nothing to feel badly about, and I hope to heavens this does not affect him too much :sad21:

DenissVFan

Medalist
Truly awful. May Ashley heal fast and may they both recover from this accident psychologically.

This is what Alexander Majorov wrote on Instagram:

ISU need to change the rules. The main judge or a main medical staff should have power to stop somebodys program. Are they waiting for a fatality before they will considerto change the rules When someone is hurt they are in chock, moving an injured cervical neck can make it worse.

referee does not have the power to stop a program. I know that very well, cause I did research after I had my noseblood on Rostelecom. They told me “A referee is not a doctor and cannot decide or stop a program due to a medical issue”

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
According to ISU rules, a referee DOES have the power to stop a program if there is even a potential medical issue. Apparently, some referees can't be bothered to take any responsibility when such an issue comes up during a competition.

The Golden Spin Pairs Referee was Slobodan Delic (SRB).

Andrea82

Medalist
According to ISU rules, a referee DOES have the power to stop a program if there is even a potential medical issue. Apparently, some referees can't be bothered to take any responsibility when such an issue comes up during a competition.

The Golden Spin Pairs Referee was Slobodan Delic (SRB).

Indeed, it is within Rule 550 (Interruptions, Music Deficiencies and Incomplete Programs). Point 5:

If, in the opinion of the Referee, medical attention is required, he must stop the performance by an acoustic signal and follow the Medical Protocol (Communication 2049 or any update thereof). The Referee, after consulting with the respective Team Physician, or, if not present, the medical doctor provided by the Organizer, he will decide if the Competitor is allowed back to compete. If the Referee does not allow the skater to resume within 3 minutes since he stopped skating his program the competitor will be considered withdrawn. If the Referee allows the Competitor/s to continue skating his program, Rule 515, paragraph 4. b) will apply. When the problem is solved, the Competitor shall continue from the point of interruption or, if the interruption occurred at the entrance to or during an element, at the point immediately following this element which shall be called by the Technical Panel 6

It was added by ISU Congress this summer. So it wasn't present when Majorov had the noseblood at Rostelecom

pearly

Record Breaker
Referee handbook

In light of Ashley Cain's fall and lack of intervention from the referee (and now calls for his suspension) - I couldn't find the referee handbook on the ISU page. Could anyone post a link to it please?

What do you think, should the referee have stopped Ashley and Tim's free skate after the fall?