boots and blades advice? | Golden Skate

boots and blades advice?

Figuringitout

Rinkside
First of all, sorry for another 'when to upgrade my boots?' post but I was hoping for some tailored advice..

I currently skate in Edea Overtures with the stock Charm blade on them. I've been having 1 lesson a week for 7 months, and currently have my waltz, salchow, toe, loop, flip and working on lutz. My spins are pretty rubbish, and I only have a 1 foot spin with the beginnings of a scratch, sit, and backspin. Recently, I've noticed some creasing in the boots too, so I think I may be due for an upgrade?

I've found my edeas comfortable but not quite right. My feet always goes numb towards the ball of the foot for the first 20 or so minutes, and my ankles never really felt supported. I know edeas are designed to allow more ankle movement when bending, but the the lack of support is at the side. It almost feels likes my ankles are too thin for the boot?

Unfortunately, I live in the middle of nowhere and skating is not very popular here, and I am a student with little money and no car so can't travel to a fitters. When I got my overtures, the girl in the rink shop just gave me a pair in my normal shoe size.

The rink shop only stocks Edea and Risport. They also only stock CA and MK Pro blades.

I have narrow feet, with the ball of my foot being the widest point, and 'greek' shaped toes. I was told Risport's have a 'egyptian' style toe boxes which is why I chose Edea, but with my Edea's not quite fitting right I was wondering if I should try this brand?

Also, I have no idea on blades, so any advice on which blade is best for me would be great.

Thanks in advance [emoji4]

Last edited:

Figuringitout

Rinkside
Edit: ive been skating for around 8/9 months, which is when i got my skates, but didnt start lessons until a couple months after that

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
First of all, sorry for another 'when to upgrade my boots?' post but I was hoping for some tailored advice..

I currently skate in Edea Overtures with the stock Charm blade on them. I've been having 1 lesson a week for 7 months, and currently have my waltz, salchow, toe, loop, flip and working on lutz. My spins are pretty rubbish, and I only have a 1 foot spin with the beginnings of a scratch, sit, and backspin. Recently, I've noticed some creasing in the boots too, so I think I may be due for an upgrade?

I've found my edeas comfortable but not quite right. My feet always goes numb towards the ball of the foot for the first 20 or so minutes, and my ankles never really felt supported. I know edeas are designed to allow more ankle movement when bending, but the the lack of support is at the side. It almost feels likes my ankles are too thin for the boot?

Unfortunately, I live in the middle of nowhere and skating is not very popular here, and I am a student with little money and no car so can't travel to a fitters. When I got my overtures, the girl in the rink shop just gave me a pair in my normal shoe size.

The rink shop only stocks Edea and Risport. They also only stock CA and MK Pro blades.

I have narrow feet, with the ball of my foot being the widest point, and 'greek' shaped toes. I was told Risport's have a 'egyptian' style toe boxes which is why I chose Edea, but with my Edea's not quite fitting right I was wondering if I should try this brand?

Also, I have no idea on blades, so any advice on which blade is best for me would be great.

Thanks in advance [emoji4]

Try Jackson and Risport. I have the greek toe and was fine in Risport for years.

Also, if you have a really narrow heel try Harlick.

Good luck!

Figuringitout

Rinkside
Thanks for the advice ic3rabbit, im glad to hear risports worked for you because I think its my only alternative unless I buy online.

Do you have any tips on how to know if the boots fit properly when trying them on? I looked at the insoles of my current boot and the indent from my toes is 18mm from the top, so I really don't trust the girl who fits there anymore!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for the advice ic3rabbit, im glad to hear risports worked for you because I think its my only alternative unless I buy online.

Do you have any tips on how to know if the boots fit properly when trying them on? I looked at the insoles of my current boot and the indent from my toes is 18mm from the top, so I really don't trust the girl who fits there anymore!

You should find a fitter who knows what they are doing with figure skating boots. They should measure you and take tracings of your foot in order to fit properly. That way they would know if you actually do fit in a stock boot or might need something semi-custom.
Good luck!

Figuringitout

Rinkside
Unfortunately that shop is the only one within feasible distance for me. However, I will be up and down the country for interviews in about 8 months time so maybe I should wait till then and keep my eyes peeled for a skate shop to get a proper fit.

Thanks again Ic3rabbit [emoji4]

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Unfortunately that shop is the only one within feasible distance for me. However, I will be up and down the country for interviews in about 8 months time so maybe I should wait till then and keep my eyes peeled for a skate shop to get a proper fit.

Thanks again Ic3rabbit [emoji4]

Please make sure you dont just go to any shop. The last thing you want is someone that fits hockey boots helping you that knows nothing about properly fitting and working with figure skating boots and blades.

May I ask where you are located?

Figuringitout

Rinkside
I live in the middle of nowhere in N. England lol. I travel about 90mins to the nearest rink and its a hockey orientated rink, so probably why they have so few figure skates and bad fitters.

I have relatives in Cardiff, and know theres a rink there so was hoping they could check out the skate shop and see if its better than mine.

Failing that, I heard JW blades are made in sheffield, so was hoping there is a good skate shop there I can get the train to.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I live in the middle of nowhere in N. England lol. I travel about 90mins to the nearest rink and its a hockey orientated rink, so probably why they have so few figure skates and bad fitters.

I have relatives in Cardiff, and know theres a rink there so was hoping they could check out the skate shop and see if its better than mine.

Failing that, I heard JW blades are made in sheffield, so was hoping there is a good skate shop there I can get the train to.

John Wilson blades and Jackson boots have shop locators on their webpage. You can put in your location and it will tell you places the closest that stock them and could help. Good luck!

1904sk8

On the Ice
Does anyone have any dance boots that they recommend? I am looking at the edea flamenco and jackson debut/supreme but I am open to trying other boots

alexjames08

Rinkside
If you can get to Blackpool, Al's Skate Shop does brilliant work fitting figure skates, carries a fair few major brands from there. I wouldn't trust anyone else! Blackpool is North England so might be possible?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Does anyone have any dance boots that they recommend? I am looking at the edea flamenco and jackson debut/supreme but I am open to trying other boots

What"s your level?

Sunshine247

On the Ice
Boots and blades are such a personal decision that everyone has concerns and questions! I got a ton of help by searching online and especially this forum. If you haven’t tried already, use the search function to look for different blade and boot discussions.

And I one million percent recommend getting to a good fitter. After all the research I had done online, I went into a fitting for my skater with a narrowed down list of boots to try and ended up a little surprised with the boot she ended up getting. You can search my posts for all the discussions. There were a lot! My daughter has a high arch and wide forefoot with a narrow heel. She’s skated in Jackson’s and so we ended up trying and liking the new Jackson fusion version of the debut. We then had to choose a blade and went with the Coronation ace. She’s super happy with the fit after heat molding and breaking them in. After the break in! That’s a whole other story. Lol

One thing about her skates with little support was that it gave her really strong ankles!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Boots and blades are such a personal decision that everyone has concerns and questions! I got a ton of help by searching online and especially this forum. If you haven’t tried already, use the search function to look for different blade and boot discussions.

And I one million percent recommend getting to a good fitter. After all the research I had done online, I went into a fitting for my skater with a narrowed down list of boots to try and ended up a little surprised with the boot she ended up getting. You can search my posts for all the discussions. There were a lot! My daughter has a high arch and wide forefoot with a narrow heel. She’s skated in Jackson’s and so we ended up trying and liking the new Jackson fusion version of the debut. We then had to choose a blade and went with the Coronation ace. She’s super happy with the fit after heat molding and breaking them in. After the break in! That’s a whole other story. Lol

One thing about her skates with little support was that it gave her really strong ankles!

Exactly. I with my experience in this department from trial and error in training over the years, and others that are regulars at this part of the forum direct people to what might be their best choice of boot but always stress that it's important for a professional figure skate fitter/pro work with them to make sure it is the right boot and blade for them and their foot/other needs. :)

Vicki7

On the Ice
I’m in the Midlands (England for the US folks) and went to Sheffield, the shop is in the rink. I’ve had two pairs of boots fitted there, and they were great, really know their stuff and carry all the major brands. Definitely worth getting to them if you can.