Eclipse Capri | Golden Skate

Eclipse Capri

ellenvel

Rinkside
Hello, I would like to ask about your opinion on Eclipse Capri Blades usually mounted on riedell diamonds. Is it possible to do spins on them? I mean all kind of spins, i. e. scratch spin, sit, camel etc. And what about single jumps? If yes, then there is one thing that I do not understand. If I can do spins literally on any kind of figure blade = even totally beginner = even the most basic one (meaning a curved one, not a reacreational blade from supermarket), then if people do not compete, why do they uprage their blades? Thank you.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello, I would like to ask about your opinion on Eclipse Capri Blades usually mounted on riedell diamonds. Is it possible to do spins on them? I mean all kind of spins, i. e. scratch spin, sit, camel etc. And what about single jumps? If yes, then there is one thing that I do not understand. If I can do spins literally on any kind of figure blade = even totally beginner = even the most basic one (meaning a curved one, not a reacreational blade from supermarket), then if people do not compete, why do they uprage their blades? Thank you.

No, I wouldn't do singles on those. They're a 40 stiffness rating and the blade is a recreational blade and same with the boot. There is no support to do what you mentioned especially depending on your age/weight/height. Proper blades and boots would be required to do the more advanced spins and jumps, which is the reason for stiffer boots and blades. TBH, there are many reasons skaters upgrade their blades or boots.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
I had those blades and wouldn't recommend them for anyone who wants to do jumps, spins, or any footwork beyond 3 turns and mohawks. I did learn up to lutz on them but I had a stiffer boot (the stride). Definitely don't do jumps in the diamonds you could hurt yourself. I will say it's possible to jump and spin in the capri blades, but it will be much harder than in better blades. I learned my sit spin, scratch spin, backspin, and singles up to lutz, but when I upgraded my blades, it took me a long time to relearn everything (although when I did the quality was a lot higher). Even 3 turns felt scary at first. I honestly don't really understand why the stride boot comes with this blade. Riedells weren't right for my feet anyway, so it worked out okay for me since I saved a little money. I'm sure they're fine for recreational skating but if you want to do anything more than that, I would recommend getting a better blade.

tothepointe

On the Ice
The capris are very flat. You can do basic spins on them but the experience will quickly become unsatisfying.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
The best answer I can give you is that people upgrade their blades because they want something specific out of them. As you grow your skills, you learn what your personal preferences are with regards to equipment. For example, I like blades that are a lighter weight, with a higher stanchion (because I'm tall) and high toe pick clearance (less toe pick catching as I do footwork), and I like my blades sharpened a particular way. The same happens with boots - some prefer different brands, stiffness, look, and fit. Everybody I know has a different equipment setup.

As for your question on these specific blades, any factory-mounted blade on a stock boot is going to allow you to do certain basic skills/footwork/spinning if you're committed enough, but it's not especially recommended to go too deep into skill building for reasons others have already described.

ellenvel

Rinkside
Thank you all for your answers. Just one more question. If a well trained skater would do spins on basic blades, e. g. Mirages, would his/her spins be slower than let´s say on gold seals? Or equally fast?

I assume that if someone cannot spin well (let´s say he is a beginner that is looking for a sweet spot etc.), and we give him a better blade with more pronounced rocker, he will be able to find sweet spot easier and his spins will therefore become better/faster.

But if a great spinner that knows how to spin well and how to find a sweet spot uses even the basic blades, again let´s say e. g. Mirages, will he be able to spin as fast as in gold seals in them? Is that how it works? I am really interested in this issue.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you all for your answers. Just one more question. If a well trained skater would do spins on basic blades, e. g. Mirages, would his/her spins be slower than let´s say on gold seals? Or equally fast?

I assume that if someone cannot spin well (let´s say he is a beginner that is looking for a sweet spot etc.), and we give him a better blade with more pronounced rocker, he will be able to find sweet spot easier and his spins will therefore become better/faster.

But if a great spinner that knows how to spin well and how to find a sweet spot uses even the basic blades, again let´s say e. g. Mirages, will he be able to spin as fast as in gold seals in them? Is that how it works? I am really interested in this issue.

No because the quality of a Mirage blade would not withstand a great spinner and top level skaters spins. Also, in the opposite regard, you have to practice spins and be skilled enough for the high level blades to really make a huge difference. That is one of the main reasons why the blades are classified by skill level.

ellenvel

Rinkside
And by "would not withstand" you mean they would become dull really easily or even physically trash over a short period of time?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
And by "would not withstand" you mean they would become dull really easily or even physically trash over a short period of time?

As in, they aren’t made for that, and an elite would be smart enough to not attempt it.