Kaetlyn Osmond:Last World Champ Without Triple Axel or Quad? | Golden Skate

Kaetlyn Osmond:Last World Champ Without Triple Axel or Quad?

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
With the rise of Rika Kihira (undefeated in her international senior career), the current issues that Alina Zagitova and Evgenia Medvedeva are going through, the imminent rise of the Russian Junior Quad Generation, and triple axels becoming something that even a "journeywoman" like Ayaka Hosoda can accomplish, will Kaetlyn Osmond be known as the last women's world champion without either of these tools in her arsenal?

Nathan13

Medalist
Well we should probably reserve judgement untill someone with a 3a wins world's this year...

neusw

On the Ice
Well we should probably reserve judgement untill someone with a 3a wins world's this year...

Even without reserving judgement, I can guarantee this won't be true. I love seeing the harder elements, but they are *very* risky, and sooner or later, even if half the ladies field is doing quads (and we are still a very long way from that), someone will sneak through with a perfectly skated "normal" program and win because everyone else fell.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Rika hasn‘t won Worlds yet. So let‘s not crown her before the competition has happened.
:shrug:

If someone like Alina wins (or every other skater other than Liza) this would be a skater without 3A or quar. In fact, this season it‘s only Rika and Liza contending for World champion who have a 3A. Oh, and Tursynbaeva probably. If she lands her 4S and somehow pulls of a win. Next year, it will likely be different. And while I think that Rika has a great chance at winning Worlds this year, there are still other skaters out there and she is not superhuman. Her SP is especially vulnerable. Let‘s wait for Worlds and talk after that. ;)

Nathan13

Medalist
Even without reserving judgement, I can guarantee this won't be true. I love seeing the harder elements, but they are *very* risky, and sooner or later, even if half the ladies field is doing quads, someone will sneak through with a perfectly skated "normal" program and win because everyone else fell.

So true. Case in point: Alena Kostornaia, JGPF

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I was about to agree with everyone and say let’s wait and see but I’m a gambling woman (despite the bout of equine flu that’s going around - don’t ask) so I’m going to say no. Not just yet anyway.

Back in the days of Tonya Harding many skaters trained and landed in practice the 3A but it never really took off. I think it won’t be until the next quad that 3A and Quads for ladies will really take off because the technique hasn’t really been mastered yet in a stable way.

So I think it’s a 45/1 chance that all future world champions will need a quad or 3A to win.

Scout

Final Flight
Quads were prevalent among the men in the 1990's, yet Evan won OGM in 2010 without one. A stunning 3 triple axels didn't help Mao against Yuna at those same Olympics. So no, I don't think Kaetlyn will be the last WC without a 3A or quad.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Even if quads and triple Axels eventually completely overtake women's skating, the changeover won't be nearly that stark, I can't imagine. We had two men's champions winning without a quad (Buttle and Lysacek) as late as 2008-2009, after all, and that was twenty years after the quad toe loop made its first appearance.

Kostornaia won the JGP Final earlier this very season against two quad-jumpers, so it's not like quads guarantee success.

lusterfan

Final Flight
I'll agree that in the coming years, it will be more and more likely that a lady with a quad or triple axel wins Worlds, but it is far from absolute. Alina and Kaori (and possibly even Satoko) are still challengers for the gold this year. Alena may take the gold next year. Even in years where several top contenders have quads or triple axels, a clean contender without those can still win if everyone else falters.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It would be hilariously awesome to see LilBet sneak in and win WC this year :devil:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
He had a triple axel in his arsenal, even if he failed to land it or chose not to do it.

That's not the point though LOL! Many had a 3A in their arsenal and didn't do it and won or didn't win. That was the original question.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
That's not the point though LOL! Many had a 3A in their arsenal and didn't do it and won or didn't win. That was the original question.

I wrote the original question, so I think that I know what I intended by "will Kaetlyn Osmond be known as the last women's world champion without either of these tools in her arsenal"