Worlds: Pairs SP | Golden Skate

Worlds: Pairs SP

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Evgenia Tarasova and Vladimir Morozov.jpg

The 2019 World Figure Skating Championships began with the Pairs' event in Saitama, Japan, on Wednesday morning. A total of 19 teams skated the Short Program with Evgenia Tarasova and Vladimir Morozov of Russia taking the lead, followed by China's Wenjing Sui and Cong Han and Cheng Peng and Yang Jin.

On the crash during the 6-min warmup:
"I don’t know what happened," James said. "I didn’t see Matteo, Matteo didn’t see me, so we crashed and I fell. It took me off a little and I was not very comfortable after. I felt a little dizzy, so I tried to stay focused."

"Everything happened so fast," said Guarise. "Vanessa was going backwards and we were skating together backwards too with very strong speed and I tried to slow down as much as possible because I am a big guy and she is tiny. So I hurt myself hitting my hip and my knee, but I think it was okay because we were able to skate fine."
More...

What are your thoughts on the event? Which were your favorite programs? Disappointments?

Last edited:

gonewiththewind25

Final Flight
Every single team in the Top 3 were fantastic. T/M were incredibly clean and the GOE on all elements is deservingly high. S/H were incredible performers as per usual and P/J continue to be so enjoyable in the SP. Personally, I'm gutted for J/C because this really could've been their moment but being 13 points behind the leaders may be too huge. The teams are going to have to be really clean in the Free to save their positions.

Bcash

Final Flight
Gosh another completely unexpected obstacle thrown J/C’a way.

Surprised the judges are willing to award T/M 2 more points than S/H when both skate clean.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Gosh another completely unexpected obstacle thrown J/C’a way.

Surprised the judges are willing to award T/M 2 more points than S/H when both skate clean.

Final group PCS bonus. :drama:

I missed the warmup. Anyone has a clip of the collision?

s_parks

Record Breaker
I won't repeat my wuzrobbed salty sentiments here. Yay Sui/Han! Hope she can land that 3S.
SP scores aside it'll be an interesting how T/M go into the FS 1st place after the short for the first time at worlds. They've skated a clean short this season before worlds, but not a clean long internationally. I don't think S/H have simply had enough training time to pull off a clean long, but we'll see.

Roast Toast

Medalist
Vanessa and Morgan were wayyyyy overdue for a true bonafide bomb I guess but it still stings it had to happen at worlds :(

QuadThrow

Medalist
I think the scores were fine. Sui/Han missed some levels and T/M were top notch at everything.

The judging panels was quite crazy. This time noone can complain about a Russian friendly panel:

AUT GER CHN SUI HUN KOR AUS CAN JPN

mrrice

Record Breaker
:sad4: Just bad timing. Hopefully they'll skate strong in the free and get themselves on the podium. I think a championship has passed them by this year. Of course, you never with skating....

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Sad for J/C. I'm fine with The/M's technical score, but S/H should be higher in PCS.
Just looked at the protocol and the vedios again, S/H's throw should have got perfect mark! The GOEs were a bit low for them.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Vanessa and Morgan were wayyyyy overdue for a true bonafide bomb I guess but it still stings it had to happen at worlds :(

"It was a bad skate for us today," James admitted, "and with the fall, it was very tiring after. It happened, it was a mistake, and it affected the program as well as our concentration. It has never happened to us before, so it was just a bad timing for the World Championships. But we have had a very good season; nothing to regret."

"After the fall in the six-minute warm-up, I had to see if she could skate since she was in pain," noted Cipres. "So maybe it is that I did not focus enough on myself. But it’s the competition, you cannot be perfect all the time. We will see what we can do for tomorrow. But nothing to change after today!"

"Morgan has not made a mistake in eight years in a program I think, but it is normal that mistakes happen," James added. "It is not to do anything with nerves. We have had a very long season and had very high expectations. We have had some very good performances so, one out of ten is not too bad."

More...

fishing

Rinkside
I really enjoyed the entire event. Lots of clean skates and potential in young teams. The podium is still available to many teams. We've seen overnight leaders fumble in the free and have those behind skate with conviction. Not too late for comebacks. I'll be up late watching tonight too.
I also really enjoyed the camera work. Best this season! In a perfect world I would ban overhead shots- puzzled as to why they want me to see a footwork section or a spin shot from overhead - but loving the feed. Both skaters centered in the screen shot from ice level - outstanding!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tarasova/ Morozov getting higher pcs than Sui/Han? What a joke.

It depends on which you value more: emotion and expression, or simply thrilling technique that brings the performance to a higher level. I nearly always value expression and emotion more (ahem; see my icon:)) ... but Tarasova/Morozov often surprise me this way. When they skate clean, they succeed in embodying the emotion, of which they have plenty, it's just not as clearly visible as with Sui/Han. It's as though T/M have a cauldron bubbling just under the surface. It's almost as if that bubbling emotion goes into their splendid technique, and that comes across to me (and I think to many in the audience, and judges), even if it's on a purely subconscious level. Also, there's no denying that classical music and a classical Russian pairs skating style suit them perfectly. I'm so happy for them!! they've struggled all season, and it came together. I hope they can keep it going for the free.

Sui and Han ... I guess their clean skate affected me greatly as well, because I received the full impact of her expression and the way he upholds her 100%. I think because Sui had completed all the elements well, she was able to give herself freely to what she does with such brilliance: express emotion with her movements and her luminous face. They really are a perfect-for-each-other pair, and in fact I think that's something that showed so beautifully in this event, from T/M, S/H, Peng/Jin, James/Cipres, right on to Cain/Leduc, Ziegler/Kiefer and Walsh/Michaud. (the only exception within the top 13 placements, for me, is Della Monica/Guarise, but that may just be me.)

I'm very happy Peng/Jin did so well; his sparkling charm and her understated ebullience are wonderful together, and Ophelia suits them so well.

Now to Vanessa and Morgan. I'm among those who wanted them to be World Champions this year with all my heart. It looks impossible at this moment. But no matter what placements show in the end, I have a lot of confidence that with their Wicked Game FS they will create a gorgeous experience for us all, as they've done with this program all season. Charlie White still has my vote for Genius New(ish) Choreographer of the year, because that program just does everything for them, while J/C do everything for the program. Their remarks after the program (quoted in Paula's article) really show what can happen with athletes who are as devoted to holding each other up, and looking for the silver lining, as they are to their sport and artistry. Vanessa saying Morgan hasn't made a mistake in 8 years! And Morgan's concern for her sending his focus off somewhat. The Best: "... it was just a bad timing for the World Championships. But we have had a very good season; nothing to regret.” She has incredible perspective. Ultimately I think she's right. The sustained high of all their performances this year is a thrill they'll have forever.

I am so proud of Ashley Cain and Timothy LeDuc for doing great work for US Pairs, so far. Ashley was angry with herself for the fall on the loop, and I hope she'll be able to channel that emotion into a great performance of their FS. Their strong connection showed, with Tim's focus on Ashley at the end of the program and the way he reassured and supported her. Their deep connection with each other shows on the ice even more with their WE fs.

Another important thing to notice about Ashley and Tim is that their steady work, improvement, and progress on ALL their Pairs Elements showed in the SP, and is clearly being noticed by international judges. Three Level 4's, and 2 level 3's. Their triple twist was actually marked originally as a Level 4, then adjusted to a 3. This element alone is a brilliant indicator of their dedication to bringing quality, and their hunger and ambition for more of Pairs Everything. As Charlie White said in January, they're looking more like a pair all the time, and they've done it their own unique way. (I say) they're true to their own strengths ... shining a light on their gorgeous lines, unison, musical sensitivity, and performance.

ssminnow

Rinkside
T/M skated their best ever, and S/H were out of sync on the SBS jump, so I have no problem with T/M being in first. However, that T/M received straight +5 on their throw whereas S/H didn't, along with the gap in PCS, is questionable. The difference between the teams in total points should have been smaller.

LeReveur

On the Ice
Tarasova/ Morozov getting higher pcs than Sui/Han? What a joke.

At some or maybe most competitions, I would agree with you. However, I saw Sui/Han's LP at 4CC this year and I have to say, their material was just as disappointing live as it was on my computer screen. Watching their Worlds SP on YouTube, I was also disappointed in what I saw compared to old magic. In previous years, they've blown me away, but I was really underwhelmed by their choreography, musical interpretation, etc. in Anaheim. Even their speed was a disappointment. Tarasova/Morozov used what may be the best program I've ever seen for them, so I can totally understand the judges seeing both teams' programs live and choosing to put T/M over S/H in PCS and TE.

icybear

Medalist
At some or maybe most competitions, I would agree with you. However, I saw Sui/Han's LP at 4CC this year and I have to say, their material was just as disappointing live as it was on my computer screen. Watching their Worlds SP on YouTube, I was also disappointed in what I saw compared to old magic. In previous years, they've blown me away, but I was really underwhelmed by their choreography, musical interpretation, etc. in Anaheim. Even their speed was a disappointment. Tarasova/Morozov used what may be the best program I've ever seen for them, so I can totally understand the judges seeing both teams' programs live and choosing to put T/M over S/H in PCS and TE.

Well the majority of people really love their new lp and think its probably the best pairs lp this season. Anyway this is their sp and even though it's not as good as their lp I think it's still better than T/M

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The change from a princess-like image to being an elegant grown-up woman is something I feel inside of me, my personal changes,” said Zabiiako when asked about her image. “I used to be strong all the time, but now I am trying to show it with my style.”

Somehow, this SP did not feature her elegant grown-up persona for me. I hope their free skate will.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I can only re-post my lenghty impressions from SP thread, adding that Boikova/Kozlovskii were fabulous and I will love them to death. They are on the way to be next big thing I believe, just more consistency in levels, more polish is needed at places. And how not to love Alexandra who finishes every element with a smile? :love:

Here we go with more complex/longer post on Pairs' SP - I watched everyone starting from 2nd group. I have to say that I enjoyed the competition quite a lot, pity that there were less pairs than last year, but I trust there will be more going forward with the quad. And post will be LONG, so apologies in advance!:laugh:;)

Whatever to be said, Zoe is a heroine and longevity I want to see more. I think today's performance was their best this season, yes, maybe not perfectly executed, but seeing them I feel they wanted to be there & present their best. And that's always a YES in my book when I see this drive in skaters.

I wish Lana and Antonio would progress and get better, more polished - because they really have goods to work with (and Fedor by their side!). I love their twist, her cat landings and attitude they have. Only polish, strengthening elements and getting more ease, then difficulty maybe is needed. I really enjoyed them last year live in Milan and today with 'Greatest Showman' SP - it was a bit rusty and not fluid as a skate, but again, there was an effort there. And that twist, please capitalize on that and progress!

I find this SP of Laura and Aritz a bit of less effective knockoff of Valentina/Ondrej's 'Americano' SP, yet still working for them in more cute/charming way, just not as 'big' on personality sell like Vale & Ondrej did. I really appreciate the progress they made, their elements seem much more secure and style is more polished than even last season I think. And they both have this kind of knack for being an engaging performers while skating, especially with catchy program. There's a joy of performing in front of crowd and it makes skating just better in perception for me, even with mistakes.

I have a really soft spot for Minerva and Nolan and I really like this SP for them - there's just something peaceful and joyful about her expression after every jump hit and enjoying the program altogether, I find their pair chemistry working very well too: looking good together & seeming to enjoy their company, moment on the ice. Loved the throw, their lines, musicality in this more 'subdued' way, not overly dramatized/overacted. I wish maybe for more confident carriage, little more speed, drive expressed there, more personality maybe coming out, but I trust it will come:). On the same wavelength - I adore Austrians with all I have! I wish Germans will have the same kind of progress in technicality/presentation like Miriam and Severin who improved greatly over past 2/3 years for me. They are really a different TEAM, not two individuals trying to skate/perform together like it was for me. It was not perfect today, but I love this SP, the quiet build of it and contemporary/edgy flair. I am simply happy to see them competing and trying their best in shadow of their coach passing (Jean-Francois Ballester) and after rough Euros ended with withdrawal.

I can't wait to see how Evelyn and Trennt will progress, they seem such exciting pair for me with quite grown-up look about them already - I love how she seems to have time of her life while performing that SP. They obviously need more polish, consistency, gaining more ease & speed, but I think it will all gel together with steady progress and experience gained.

I felt so crushed seeing Ashley's fall:(. For me, arguably, a top team regarding personality and certain style: quite 'individual' yet making a striking wholesome. She and Tim are just very statuesque on ice, visible and seeming comfortable with capturing attention, such great performers! I really like this sassy SP, playing definitely on their strengths, showcasing acting, character, cheekiness, musicality, flexibility; aside of fall, I enjoyed everything else so much - they made quite a progress and got more flow as a team, difficulty and a certain 'identity' as a pair. Ashley deserves the world after that horrible fall at Golden Spin and then becoming US Champ, I will cross my fingers hard tomorrow for that 'W.E.' FS!

That crash during final group warm-up seemed to throw off the balance both Vanessa & Matteo, both in their respective performances looked just tight and off for me...Like with Ashley & Tim, Nicole & Matteo really progressed their skating and pair presentation leaps and bounds from past 2/3 seasons, just looking so much more refined, confident, precise and sharp in elements and delivery of the whole program. They are such attractive sight on the ice (I know, vain side in me is calling out:laugh:) and I feel that their skating, chemistry matched this attractiveness with that SP this season; doubling solo jump from Matteo was unfortunate, but I applaud them for pulling all the strings and efforts for the rest, making performance effective. I wish they used INXS original version of the song, maybe making it more 'edgy', less glamorous/than sleek in appearance, but nonetheless - they held themselves together, I really like their connection, expressiveness on faces, that 'daring' look on Nicole.

Vanessa and Morgan...This was unexpected, but at the same time not really surprising for me. This time, it was more than skating clean - it was also about carrying the pressure of undefeated team, favourites looking at how season went and that crash could shake Vannessa up/ make Morgan's focus wavering a bit (as for that doubled solo jump). Also...for me that SP was a bit of an afterthought, especially comparing it to totally owned FS in every sense: music, choreo, expression - this SP for me is a hard sell because it tries to mesh somehow 'edgy' music (in terms of not being standard repertoire for Pairs) with more 'flow-y'/streamlined choreo, making kind of 'harmonious' wholesome, with that pair image in it. I just couldn't see a full, complex and compelling picture there, them in it. And to compare it with Sui/Han's and Tarasova/Morozov's SPs being so into their alleys, highlighting their strengths/style they look the best (that though will be explained more below for Sui/Han though as this SP and performance produced today kind of established a new kind of stylistic versality, superb quality of them as 'owners' of any style of program they do) AND performed/executed that well was really making Vanessa/Morgan's SP as inferior vehicle, not even talking about mistakes today. Kudos for them though for carrying the performance forward, trying their best and acting professionally as expected from top team. Re-watching it...I just don't feel that build of excitement, sharpness and daring attitude that was in 'Earned It' and 'Make it Rain' SPs, like making it into compelling spectacle that was so non-classical pair, but was so unique, this SP for me does not have that continuity and strong 'pull' as a vehicle in action. Which pains me, because they are so 'on-brand' team, confident and unique in their identity, style, carriage, striking and sensual...I hope that disappointment of today will lit fire under them, unleash their anger and their FS will be a moment to remember.

Natalia & Alexander - with all my respect to 'unique' concept of that program, 'staging' and originality, I just can't take it seriously:). Good for them though standing out from the pack and doing themselves in capes etc. - I wish 'the edge' would be presented in more sophisticated way, but if that's a sign of them challenging themselves with something out-of-ordinary, I'll take it. They truly have a beautiful presence on ice, that classical look and strong technique, I just wish for more 'particular spice' about them, having that identity/style, personalized aura about TEAM brand that would make any program pop, recognized program by the team, not other way around.

I find this SP of Kirsten & Michael a bit too sugary sweet and bland for my personal taste/ too sugary-lyrical, but I appreciate them looking so much stronger as a pair this season, just more gelled together, connected more with the music and each other, not only though elements - yes, today's performance was kind of shaky (that lift scared bejesus of me during position change...:slink:), but again, with more experience and polish they carry such situations better I think. I find Michael as more 'rounded' and engaged performer lately, I just wish I was not that scared of how he does twist and lift; good thing he has less and less such scares and improves.

Peng and Jin stole my heart today - to produce such strong technically yet charming performance with lightness/cheekiness to is just so rare and precious:love:. I was not a fan of that partners' switch few seasons ago to be honest, but now I see that pairing Jin with Peng enriched and elevated both somehow - the team as a whole got more and more personality to it and Peng seems just so much more 'at ease' while performing; I also see them getting more stronger and profound technically, more confident in execution, pushing their performance ability/ability to 'sell' the program more at the same time. They just seems to be in 'competitive fire' this season, way more 'fiery' as competitors - and I think both programs suit they very much, with nice balance between showcasing them and their technical capability. I love SP more because of that energy, sassiness, making it more 'customized' and immediately associating the song with pieces of choreography and their expression, I love such 'statement' moments. I really loved throw (distance, polish, extension), twist (height, ease), lift (speed and confidence), all the transitions making performance more 'individual', these solo toes RIGHT on the music - polish, sharpness, quality oozing from everything. I think that may not be the 'loudest' team out there, most expressive, with most 'reputation', but I find their more subtle way of nuancing music, performing while maintaining strong technical execution really effective, standing on its own.

When Evgenia and Vladimir are on, they are ON - and no one can deny them technical exquisiteness, powerful delivery from technical standpoint that carries programs like this with impact. Everything was just so...sharp, polished, matched magnitude and climax of this classical piece so well, big elements for big music. They are the purest epitome of that 'classical pair' image, continuing Russian tradition to produce such striking pairs: in appearance, matching, technique, strength, lines, carriage, they have these in spades. I really loved the lines of Evgenia's extension, the prettiness of this picture, enriching the music in its strength, having that statuesque presence, beautiful in its classical notion.

Classical music is definitely their alley in terms of 'styling' their appearance and constructing an effective image, vehicle to perform, my only issue is that the whole thing is maybe too severe and static in terms of interpretation/performance quality outside of technical side - I am absolutely not for over-dramatizing Rach, making it 'screaming' with expression, I would just love to see more personal connection poured into the piece and the program outside of what I saw (and appreciated/respected) as for competitive drive and focus; comparing singles to pairs may be off line, but when it comes to that particular Rach piece of music, Mao Asada for me set a desired standard in terms of interpreting/engaging personally into it: with moderate touch, balance between grandiose feel, majestic sound and her skating style/identity, how she moves & expresses though music and choreography - not being fully 'an absent spectator' of a piece of art, but trying to 'customize' it in action; less of admiring a sculpture, more of making a new piece to it/new memory, some sort of attachment. I just miss a bit that 'personalization' when it comes to making that music more 'theirs' than just a good fit.

Their skating is a beautiful thing to watch, their technique - when being on - is captivating to admire, but I just feel like this program/style of it defines their SKATING in a way, giving identity to it/to their competitive spirit (looking that they went back to it for giving themselves the best chance in competition which is a wise move and I absolutely do not criticize it), not exactly them as a team - for me, this is their best program to date, but rather by style/fit of the music than them making it that way.

Relating to scores, I agree on the lead, but I would have Sui/Han leading in CO/IN PCS categories comparing both vehicles and quality of construction/interpretation intricacy/nuance level, but that's just make take on things as I generally try to not fuse much over scores, but enjoying performances on their own as much as I can. Speaking of which...Re-watching today's performance of Wenjing/Cong, I started to reminisce about things I heard on art crafts workshops/jeweller's workshop I attended while younger - masters of crafts really stressed that even the most beautiful jewel/rock/centrepiece loses its allure/shine if having bad/wrong 'frame' to it, treated badly, with not enough care and complexity; I remember to be taught about diligent work with all supplies I have AND tools, because one enriches another, building that final effect captivating us by its beauty/charm etc. And why I tell about this now? Watching Wenjing/Cong performing this SP program today helped me understand more about meaning of 'total package' in action, how the FEEL, emotion defines work and craft of technique and delivery. For me, they truly made an unique statement out there, even for themselves/their previous work - to TAKE a contemporary piece, with lyrics that carry some kind of message/story and then to MAKE it into their own with such emotional package included is something special, elusive that sets them apart in my opinion from being just great skaters; they are not just relying on sole power/fit of the music to them, taking it out of convenience/to stand out/to make a pleasant image (like most of teams) - they truly try to create some stand-alone piece from music, skating, movement, emotion, connection, chemistry. Yes, it was not foot-perfect (nor it was at 4CC), but the individual engagement and refinement over connection between them and music/each other took the performance with all it had on another level of reception (and then appreciation). From the starting pose, fist beats of the song they OWNED the space and moment, infusing every move, element and transition with feelings, expression, giving that shape to the lyrics, rhythm; I really teared up seeing their opening embrace, closed eyes, their closeness in more than physical sense - them connecting so strongly with the program made my connection just as strong and impactful.

About expression - I read recently some interview with Kaori Sakamoto where she talked about working during last summer with choreographers on becoming more mature performer who expresses and influences to the people not by face, but the slightest move of her arms/finders/head and this so rang the bell today for me. Wenjing and Cong performs, transfers their emotion/engagement through very little gestures and nuanced movement and though sublime treatment over pause and motion, no other team for me right now operates these two perspectives while performing better than them.

There's just for me that rich, loaded sense of completeness watching them now, in that vehicle, a complexity of things/features that yet feels effortless to take in, that sense of filling up the 'frame' with jewel-like content in equal measure, not even treating Cong like a 'frame' (in sense of partner presenting Sui) and Wenjing like 'jewel' to be presented - they both making the 'frame' and what's inside, both elements are important as for technicality, construction of a program, execution, transitioning etc. and then performing it, interpreting music and giving it shape, existence, raw emotion of the moment. It is a program I fast/instantly developed deep 'involvement' in reception like with Vincent FD - it accentuates individuality and importance of each PCS category, technical side and presentation side, having that 'now' presence for the performance while executing program. And I apologize if anyone takes it as a 'waxing poetic' over something unnecessarily/speaking too much of something like FS program - the more I attach myself to skating, the more I explore of what I look for in it; this season I connected with few programs/teams (skaters)performing them on really deep, raw emotional level and all these words are spoken out of the experience:)