Which men's skater's artistry do you prefer? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Which men's skater's artistry do you prefer?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Past: Chan, Abbott, Browning, Lambiel

Current: Chen

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is a trick question, right:laugh:

Then: Toller

Now: Jason

That is all:)

GGFan

Record Breaker
If we want artistry we need Josh Farris to return. He was so committed to his music :luv17:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I was speaking of the present skaters who are competing, but of course Kurt Browning is my absolute favorite skater who falls under - pure artist who weaves magic on the blade. I can't also can't leave out the maestro Toller Cranston who always left his heart and soul on the ice.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Many of us put our past and current. :hslap:

I forgot Paul Wylie for past.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Just a question, does someone here change the titles of postings? I recall my title was Nathan Chen is Amazing but I prefer....
I also noticed a slight change to another title I posted previously. I guess it doesn't, matter, but just curious.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Of all time Plushy, obviously :p Armography and all!

But for current skaters...I like them all, but as previously mentioned Donovan Carrillo's style just grabs you! :)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Of all time Plushy, obviously :p Armography and all!

But for current skaters...I like them all, but as previously mentioned Donovan Carrillo's style just grabs you! :)

Yes, Plushy of, course. Not to mention he had more 6.0s for his artistry( cca 70) as any skater including Kwan(cca 57 6.0s). ;) He received those on international competitions mostly. He received his first 6.0 at his 16 at NHK trophy) He was the favorite skater of Maya Plisetskaya, Nikolai Tsiskridze, his artistry was praised by Sergei Filin, and Roberto Bolle ;)... Who has such fans as him? ( You can be sure I won't receive one "like" for this here but the facts remain facts. :laugh: )

edit: I didn't read Aliev..I like his "fragile" artistry

LadyLou

Rinkside
Oh, the name of the thread changed. Since it's now purely about feelings and taste, I can unlesh myself and say: Hanyu, Hanyu, Hanyu.
Hanyu's skating speaks to me and my emotions in a way no one else's does.
It took me more than 10 years as a casual fan to find The one skater to make me into a full-time fan, to persuade me I absolutely needed to watch skating live, and to push me spend time and efforts to know more about the sport. Before him, I had had some faves and my share of joy and disappointments at OWGs, but I was fine with stumbling into figure skating on tv (and it's not like there were that many chances of stumbling tbh)
Now I have many more skaters I root for and even more programs I like, but Hanyu is something else.
Btw, I become his fan thanks to a program with music I didn't even like (for all the others favourites I had had till then, I had been ready to be drawn into their performance from the very beginning)
Behind each of his programs there are deph of study and emotions. He adapts his own unique style to different pieces and you couldn't mistake one program for the other even without music and without costumes (unless you've willfully blind). He's always out there baring all his emotions on the ice through his body. And I appreciate a lot that he conceives each part of a program, from the music cut to choreo details to placement of elements (and even type of jump and type of entry) and yes, costumes too, as a necessary part of the expression. You can not like him, but the emotional and intellectual involvement he has in his programs cannot be questioned. He is committed to everý part of them.

I can like a good performer and clap in excitement or be moved, but for me to want to rewatch a program again and again, I need something more than the ability to put on a good show.
I have tried to pin down what makes me like a skater and I honestly couldn't, too many things factor in, but one of the things I appreciate the most is the ability of making choreo look absolutely natural and unstaged, expression of a inner "need" rather than something forced from the outside, something learned. That sort of "sincerity" is something I see when Hanyu is on the ice (off the ice too, but that's not pertinent to the thread).
Another thing would be that if I mute the music I can still kinda guess what the skater wants to express.

Another male skater I love would be Lambiel (incidentally, the first one I liked). Also, if I had to choose between Yagudin and Plushenko, I'd choose Plushenko, and one of my favourite program of his is Tribute for Nijinski, make of that what you want :p
Of current skaters...a lot of soft spots and some whose "style" I enjoy overall regardless of the programs, like Aliev, Aymoz, but to find other skaters who can touch me really deeply, atm I have to search in other disciplines.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
A difficult question, as 'artistry' is rather a subjective term. I'll go for 'moving' through the skating and choreography (which of course is just as subjective if not more but it reflects my feelings better. Getting teary eyed, emotional feelings by watching, definitely does it. Yuzu definitely can move you to bits (as he did last saturday), but then so can Kevin Amoz whose interpretation of the music is so beautiful. An honorable mention for Matteo Rizzo. Nathan did a pretty good job last saturday despite perhaps not being 'artistic' in the traditional sense. Michael Brezina did not make my eyes well but showed a really good interpretation of Heavy Metal music. Yuzu and Kevin have the most appeal though at the moment. I miss Javi.

Looking back both Robin Cousins's and Alexei Yagudin's olympic programmes first come to mind (though they're definitely not the only ones as I've been moved and gotten emotional by many skate(r)s)). Alexander Abt's short programme in 2002 also was very moving, and that's one I have rewatched, and continue to rewatch many times. I've seen many names above of whom I recall very moving programmes.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Jason Brown, Daisuke Takahashi, Elladj Balde, Slavic Hayrapetyan (Universiade SP :love:), Julian Yee, Alexi Bychenko, Johnny Weir, Aidan Pitkeev, Branden Kerry.

sallyhatchet

Rinkside
My favorites are Shoma Uno, I just love the way he moves and his intensity, Jason Brown, who has such great energy, Keegan Messing, who just seems to have such a unique style and footwork, and Yuzu for the ethereal quality he seems to give off. This is my first time I've followed the entire skating season so I still can't really say what I technically like about them in skating terms though!