2020-21 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2020-21 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... He graduated from University of Colorado at Boulder with a degree in Finance ...

Max Aaron graduated from University of Colorado at Colorado Springs.

All credit to Max for his career in business. :)

As a side note, I will mention that he also continues to be involved in skating on a part-time basis as a guest coach. He travels quite a bit to teach skaters of all ages at seminars and camps.

Weathergal

Medalist
Max Aaron graduated from University of Colorado at Colorado Springs.

All credit to Max for his career in business. :)

As a side note, I will mention that he also continues to be involved in skating on a part-time basis as a guest coach. He travels quite a bit to teach skaters of all ages at seminars and camps.
Thanks for the correction - I've updated my post.

mrrice

Record Breaker
He graduated from University of Colorado at Colorado Springs with a degree in Finance, and he got a job as a wealth management advisor with Merrill Lynch. He's now a partner at WESCompany, an electrical construction company specializing in industrial design.
Wow......That's amazing. Thank You Weathergal! :thank: :thank: :thank:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Posting this here not just because it is about Jason's worldwide friendships, but because of some sweet quotes about Grant Hochstein:

Jason Brown Builds Friendships Across the Globe

"My favorite Grant memory is from the 2018 U.S. Championships," Brown shared. "Grant had just skated the best short program of his life, and I was able to congratulate him before I went out for my warmup. He said to me, 'I want you to go out and beat me. Can you do that for me?' He is so supportive and only wants the best for me. That's just who he is."

:love: aaaww Grant

And Jason visited Grant, Caroline and baby Charlotte Grace this spring in California.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Live stream for Glacier Falls $10 per day here:
Has anyone made purchases using this link? I'm wondering if it is possible to select payment for only two days instead of the entire four days. It's confusing. Anyone who can share their experience with making a payment, I appreciate your help!

ETA:
I figured it out. Apparently, you make a purchase on the day you want to watch, and are charged $10 for that day. So if watching tomorrow, there's a separate payment process for $10.

Last edited:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The scores are in from the men's SP at Glacier Falls:

Yaro Paniot leading with 86.98, according to the protocols landed a good 4F combo

Andrew T., 76.08.even though I haven't seen the skate, I'm giving the side eye to his PCS scores:biggrin:. We all know I'm not one for jumps, but no 3A even. Must have stepped out of a 2A, not so good scores there.

Yaro did his BeeGees SP, and Andrew evidently did flamenco (according to Sylvia on Twitter). The drama :drama: and steps of flamenco should suit my boy.

Eric Sjoberg and Dinh Tran placed third and fourth.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I saw the stream, but I haven't looked at the protocols yet. Andrew was wonderful performing his Latin flamenco. I love his slow opening moves. Andrew is such an artist on and off the ice. The judges always fail to score PCS correctly. That's an annoying given in this sport.

Andrew has probably been learning a different technique from Raf and crew on his 3-axel, so he likely needs time to adjust. He hesitated slightly on the entry and doubled it instead. It was an obvious intended triple popped to a double, but no fall nor any bad step. It was a gorgeous skate. He intentionally didn't try a quad, but clearly he can perform quads. Raf has a certain approach with his technical re-training. I'm sure there will be long term dividends in the end. Take a look back at how wonderfully Andrew skated at 2020 U.S. Nationals.

Dinh Tran skated a flamenco as well. He has such a smooth, engaging style (too bad the few errors he had -- I think he's trying to up difficulty, so this is the time to try things and learn). It was nice seeing Todd E. at rinkside in his mask, coaching Dinh and Yaro.

Yaro was fabulous in his Saturday Night Fever sp debut. 😁

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I saw the stream, but I haven't looked at the protocols yet. Andrew was wonderful performing his Latin flamenco. I love his slow opening moves. Andrew is such an artist on and off the ice. The judges always fail to score PCS correctly. That's an annoying given in this sport.

Andrew has probably been learning a different technique from Raf and crew on his 3-axel, so he likely needs time to adjust. He hesitated slightly on the entry and doubled it instead. It was an obvious intended triple popped to a double, but no fall nor any bad step. It was a gorgeous skate. He intentionally didn't try a quad, but clearly he can perform quads. Raf has a certain approach with his technical re-training. I'm sure there will be long term dividends in the end. Take a look back at how wonderfully Andrew skated at 2020 U.S. Nationals.

Dinh Tran skated a flamenco as well. He has such a smooth, engaging style (too bad the few errors he had -- I think he's trying to up difficulty, so this is the time to try things and learn). It was nice seeing Todd E. at rinkside in his mask, coaching Dinh and Yaro.

Yaro was fabulous in his Saturday Night Fever sp debut. 😁

thank you for letting us know that the 2A was indeed a popped 3A. And flamenco, yes! And for the reports on the other skaters.

it’s in the general worldwide coaches’ handbook to repeat the mantra of the 18 month to two year timeframe for new technique, but that doesn’t mean I need to like it. :biggrin: And of course, I think Andrew’s performances at every US Nats have been wonderful, so I’m a bad one to ask about improvement. ;) After all, his SP in 2019 was <chef’s kiss>

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yeah, I'm re-watching the stream. :popcorn: Pretty cool. I enjoyed seeing all the guys, including junior and senior. I didn't see novice men. I looked at novice, junior and senior pairs. And I'll catch some of senior ladies.

Dinh had such a cool series of spins. My cup runneth over watching Dinh, Andrew, Yaro, and all the guys. It's a pleasure seeing Andrew back on the ice. Re doubled 3-axel, it didn't look like a pop, but clearly a doubled axel jump intended to be a triple. No step out either. Andrew covered it well, with just a forward lean on the landing.

Dinh fell out of his triple axel and his triple Lutz, or it could have been a triple flip. But that's okay, as it's clear he's working on upping his tech difficulty, which takes getting it out there, even if there are mistakes.

Andrew was not happy about the doubled axel. As skaters do when leaving the ice, he glanced back unhappily at the spot where he had performed the jump with a look on his face like, I'm going to conquer this!

Meanwhile, love love Yaro's costume
It looks like a two-piece, but checking more closely, it seems to be a unitard made to look like polyester skin tight pants and top. The pants are black, and a light orange with sparkles simulated belt matches his sleeve cuffs, and his rad over-sized collar. The top is mustard yellow.

Yaro gave us all the moves and all the feels, and hip swivels, complete with a quad and other well-executed jumps (seemingly, he planned to do a second quad, but turned it into a triple). What a well-choreographed program! At the end, Yaro even did a shades of Deniss Vasiljevs sit-spin, and then he stood up and put an exclamation point on the program with the iconic John Travolta pose. LOL. :yahoo:

Last edited:

Apple1078

Final Flight
Andrew's flamenco was great (and I know I'm biased). :D I'll never get tired of watching him skate. I assume the 3T-3T combo will become a 4T-3T combo and that the 3S will become a 4S as the season progresses. After all, this was the first time he competed since Feb/Mar 2020 (JWC 2020, I think) which is CRAZY... it's been almost 1.5 years.

I think he just needs to compete more and get used to it again and particularly, what international competitions feel like. Even Nathan mentioned he was a lot more nervous than usual during his SP in Stockholm (where he fell on his opening 4Lz) due to the lack of international competitions despite participating in the ISP Challenge, Skate America (which obviously was more of a national comp last year) and Nationals. Jason said he also felt the lack of competitions going into Nationals (Skate Canada was cancelled where he was due to compete).

Andrew didn't even compete in any of these so it must be a bit nerve-racking to be out there again.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of course I have only looked at Andrew's skate so far. More than once :). I know nothing of flamenco music, does anyone know the name of the music?

Flamenco suits him so very well. The slow start to the music with footwork and edges for days, the build up, the step sequence to the faster music, and the perfectly held arm movements.

:clap:

And in any event, just so happy to see him on the ice.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I really enjoyed watching Andrew and Yaroslav. Both great performers with different styles. I like Andrew’s arm movements a lot. Technically Yaroslav was about 10 points higher than Andrew although he popped his quad toeloop. Lost 5-6 points on that. Andrew will probably add a 3-axel later on.

I hope Yaroslav can challenge Vincent and Jason. That would make US men more exciting to watch. Two seasons ago I had my hopes for the new seniors. But none of them (Andrew, Camden, Alexei, Tomoki) could challenge Nathan, Jason or Vincent who have dominated US men for three seasons now. Tomoki was my best hope then and actually won bronze at nationals 2020. But apart from that not convincing.

Who can be top three at nationals 2022 except for Nathan, Vincent and Jason?

Apple1078

Final Flight
I really enjoyed watching Andrew and Yaroslav. Both great performers with different styles. I like Andrew’s arm movements a lot. Technically Yaroslav was about 10 points higher than Andrew although he popped his quad toeloop. Lost 5-6 points on that. Andrew will probably add a 3-axel later on.

I hope Yaroslav can challenge Vincent and Jason. That would make US men more exciting to watch. Two seasons ago I had my hopes for the new seniors. But none of them (Andrew, Camden, Alexei, Tomoki) could challenge Nathan, Jason or Vincent who have dominated US men for three seasons now. Tomoki was my best hope then and actually won bronze at nationals 2020. But apart from that not convincing.

Selfishly, I hope Jason continues for a season or two after Beijing (we already know the other two will go back to college) but I think the shakeups we always (or usually) see at the beginning of a new quad with new national podiums etc. are kind of exciting.

Atm it's difficult to imagine anyone threatening Nathan, Jason and Vincent. I mean, Yaro could potentially be a contender but he'd probably have to be clean. Nathan doesn't mess up too much and Jason is also really consistent. Vincent is not as consistent as the other two but he's usually pretty good around nationals (maybe less so in the Fall).

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
Of course I have only looked at Andrew's skate so far. More than once :). I know nothing of flamenco music, does anyone know the name of the music?

Flamenco suits him so very well. The slow start to the music with footwork and edges for days, the build up, the step sequence to the faster music, and the perfectly held arm movements.

:clap:

And in any event, just so happy to see him on the ice.

Already like both Yaro's and Andrew's programs - I can't wait to see them develop during the season! I think the programs fit them well.

@snowflake thank you for the links

@el henry at least from around 1:45 in the program, I think Andrew's music is from Taalbi Brothers, a song called "Ameska."

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Considering the season hasn't started yet, it's hard to say. The so-called second tier seem to be gearing up for the challenge. Lots or practice videos, promising tech content, that sort of thing. Delivering under pressure? Yet to be seen.