2022-2023 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2022-2023 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Disagree. Ma got higher PCS than Naumov because he was cleaner in the SP and was in the first group. Mistakes affect PCS. Had Naumov been clean too, I’m sure he would have had higher PCS than Ma. As well he should. He has better skating skills, much better posture, better spins. I think he has better programs, too. Someone in the competition threads compared Naumov to Dmitri Aliev and that’s a pretty spot-on comparison. Aliev excels in the way he moves his body - especially the upper body - and Naumov has that same strength. Additionally, Naumov brought it home in the second half of his free skate at 4CC. Ma just sort of fizzled out. No robbing was had at Nationals.
Not that it has to do with PCS but Jimmy has a back problem. He is 100% capable of skating that long the same way he skated the short.

I’m just praying it’s a “rest, cupping” type back injury and not a “career ending surgery” back injury.

🙏🙏🙏

******somehow my phone turned “back” into “Nazi”. I can only blame it on the dilaudid. Jimmy has a BACK problem.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One down, one to go: Andrew T. got his Worlds SP minimums at the Challenge Cup.

He fell on his quad and the 3A, so it was closer than I would have liked. I am frustrated that he tried the quad here. This skate was for minimums, not to win. Relay racers do not go all out in the first heats of a comp.

But here's hoping for a good skate tomorrow!

Weathergal

Medalist
One down, one to go: Andrew T. got his Worlds SP minimums at the Challenge Cup.

He fell on his quad and the 3A, so it was closer than I would have liked. I am frustrated that he tried the quad here. This skate was for minimums, not to win. Relay racers do not go all out in the first heats of a comp.

But here's hoping for a good skate tomorrow!

I'm relieved to hear this, but also a bit nervous, too, as I had hoped he'd play it a little safer to make sure he got those minimums. Not that I think that test driving that quad is a bad idea just....that seemed like an odd time to do it. But I also think Andrew is a bit of a rebel, too. ;) Case in point, that shirt he had picked out for the Nats press conference since he didn't have a team jacket. :laugh:

I enjoy his skating so much and really hope he does well tomorrow!

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Attempting the 4T makes sense from a mathematical perspective. Torgashev doesn’t have a good 3Lz (aesthetically it’s fine), so he wouldn’t have scored much higher than what he did with an edge call. A clean 3Lo would have been about two more points or so. He still got the minimums with two falls, a UR, and a q. For Worlds, however, he may have some hard thinking to do. Even if he replaces the 4T with a triple, he still risks not making the free skate if he falls on the 3A.

I think getting the SP minimums was the hard part. Getting the FS minimums shouldn’t be much of a problem. I know the opposite is true for most skaters, though. Torgashev has great spins and he’s a good stepper so I’m guessing he’ll net 20 points or so on non-jump elements. He can get 40 points on jumps.

Right? Right?!?

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
The other day I was researching how Andrew could get on the GP for next season. It was fun. But, assuming tomorrow goes well enough, now my biggest concern/hope for Worlds is that he will even make the Free Stake. Baby steps. It is not a given that he will. But I do so love his skating!

GO ANDREW!!! Breathe, and take your LP one element at a time. GET YOUR MINS!!! :cheer2: 🤞 Jump like Nationals; it was perfection.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The other day I was researching how Andrew could get on the GP for next season. It was fun. But, assuming tomorrow goes well enough, now my biggest concern/hope for Worlds is that he will even make the Free Stake. Baby steps. It is not a given that he will. But I do so love his skating!

GO ANDREW!!! Breathe, and take your LP one element at a time. GET YOUR MINS!!! :cheer2: 🤞 Jump like Nationals; it was perfection.
He could get the Skate America host spot.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
ANDREW GOT HIS FS MIN!!!!! (73.10) :yahoo: :hap10: He was 4th in the FS and moved up to 5th overall.

I am SO relieved and happy for Andrew! I love Camden's skating too, but he hasn't been injured like Andrew has, so we have gotten to watch him skate a lot more. I'm happy to get to see Andrew skate again this season!!!

Whether he will skate well enough to make the Free Skate remains to be seen, but I'm thrilled he gets to go to Worlds. :biggrin:

YuBluByMe

Final Flight
Whether he will skate well enough to make the Free Skate remains to be seen, but I'm thrilled he gets to go to Worlds. :biggrin:
Me too. Andrew not getting his TES minimums would have been a huge opportunity lost. But at least now, even if he doesn’t make the free skate, he has the thrill of traveling to Japan (going to Worlds), training at official practices (at Worlds!), and performing for a large crowd at his most important competition to date.

But… honestly, after looking carefully at the roster and at the free skate cutoffs at the last three Worlds, I’ll think he’ll make it. 69.70, 70.51, and 66.06. Junhwan Cha’s withdrawal had an impact on last year’s cut-off and that 70.51 was actually Vincent Zhou.

Scores for B competitions are either too high or too low so I’m not saying that Andrew could fall twice and still make the free skate. But I am saying that a 70.33 would likely make it. If he makes it, I won’t worry too much about the free skate. His Challenge Cup performance obviously wasn’t as good as Nationals, but it was still a good skate. Popped the opening quad and landed everything else. That’s a win, in my opinion.

My only hope is that he makes the free and gets a personal best. Andrew has never scored over 220 and he’s much better than that, even before now. Anything better - scoring over 230, for instance - will be a bonus. This is his best chance at a GP assignment outright. He could set himself up really well for next season.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Jason and Ilia the two US stars at worlds :clap: Sad that there is a lottery who to send as the third man: Andrew, Jimmy, Camden or Tomoki. All talented but inconsistent. I had hopes on Andrew but it didn't even seem he was happy skating in Japan today. Always liked following US men. Who can step up?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason and Ilia the two US stars at worlds :clap: Sad that there is a lottery who to send as the third man: Andrew, Jimmy, Camden or Tomoki. All talented but inconsistent. I had hopes on Andrew but it didn't even seem he was happy skating in Japan today. Always liked following US men. Who can step up?
The kid from Juniors has a lot of potential Lucas Broussard even though he's probably going back to the JGP next season. He's old enough for Senior Worlds next year his triple axel and quad aren't really stable yet but considering that no one else sticks out but Ilia the field is wide open for him to make some noise at Nationals next season since i'm sure he'll move up at least domestically. Once he gets the jumps he can beat most any other US man not named Ilia.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Other people have said this, but I am shamelessly stealing it:

Jason came back to competition for his own reasons, but USFS should be sending him a deluxe fruit basket and an engraved thank you note🧺🍐🍎🍑🍊

Since he has said he wants to go, hopefully Jason punched his ticket to WTT.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
The kid from Juniors has a lot of potential Lucas Broussard even though he's probably going back to the JGP next season. He's old enough for Senior Worlds next year his triple axel and quad aren't really stable yet but considering that no one else sticks out but Ilia the field is wide open for him to make some noise at Nationals next season since i'm sure he'll move up at least domestically. Once he gets the jumps he can beat most any other US man not named Ilia.
Right, I like Lucas a lot, he's interesting to watch. Hoping for a great career for him competing as a senior when he's ready :)

YuBluByMe

Final Flight
I wasn’t expecting much from Andrew at Worlds. I just wanted him to make the free skate and get a PB. Anything beyond that would be unrealistic. He made the free and had the 3F+3T been cleaner in both programs, he would’ve managed the PB.

But I’m actually encouraged by his Challenge Cup and Worlds performances. Andrew used to struggle significantly on his jumps, even the easier triples. Outside the combo mistake, he hasn’t made any major mistake on a normal triple, which is a massive improvement. He’s solidified the 3A; he’s fallen on it only once and the 4T used to be the better jump for him. He always struggled on landing the 3A and 4T in a single program.

I hope next season will be a breakout for him. From what I can tell, he just needs to get the 4T consistent and he isn’t the same hot mess he was before.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I wasn’t expecting much from Andrew at Worlds. I just wanted him to make the free skate and get a PB. Anything beyond that would be unrealistic. He made the free and had the 3F+3T been cleaner in both programs, he would’ve managed the PB.

But I’m actually encouraged by his Challenge Cup and Worlds performances. Andrew used to struggle significantly on his jumps, even the easier triples. Outside the combo mistake, he hasn’t made any major mistake on a normal triple, which is a massive improvement. He’s solidified the 3A; he’s fallen on it only once and the 4T used to be the better jump for him. He always struggled on landing the 3A and 4T in a single program.

I hope next season will be a breakout for him. From what I can tell, he just needs to get the 4T consistent and he isn’t the same hot mess he was before.
I hope you’re right because when Andrew is on his game, he’s really on and it’s beautiful to see!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Was there a literal lottery? I would not have sent Andrew. Not because I don’t like him (I do!) but because he has not had any international experience in several years.