2022-2023 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Golden Skate

2022-2023 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Link to 2021-2022 thread: 2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Golden Skate

SENIOR MEN

Ilia Malinin

SP: I Put a Spell on You by Jay Hawkins; choreo: Yuri Razgulajevs
FS: Euphoria by Labrinth; choreo: Shae-Lynn Bourne
WS 10
SB 1, 280.37
GP Assignments: Skate America, GP Finland

Camden Pulkinen
SP: Fly Me to the Moon
FS: Invierno Porteno
WS 20
SB 25, 219.49
GP Assignments: Skate Canada, GP Finland

Jimmy Ma
SP: Warriors
FS: Claire De Lune/Volcano
WS 27
SB 28, 216.76
GP Assignments: Skate Canada, GP MK John Wilson Trophy

Tomoki Hiwatashi
SP: Romani Holiday
FS: The Artist
WS 45
SB 56, 222.37
GP Assignments: NHK Trophy, MK John Wilson Trophy

Liam Kapeikis
SP: Mask of Zorro
FS: Moulin Rouge
WS 48
SB 24, 219.50
GP Assignments: Skate America

Yaroslav Paniot
SP:
FS:
WS 133
SB N/A
GP Assignments:

Maxim Naumov
SP:
FS:
WS 90
SB 17, 227.10
GP Assignments:

Andrew Torgashev
SP:
FS:
WS 73
SB N/A
GP Assignments:

GPF Qualifiers

Ilia Malinin

Nationals Results

1. Ilia Malinin
2. Jason Brown
3. Andrew Torgashev

4CC Team

1. Maxim Naumov
2. Jimmy Ma
3. Liam Kapeikis

Worlds Team

1. Ilia Malinin
2. Jason Brown
3. Andrew Torgashev

Questions for the season:

Will Ilia Malinin land a 4A in international competition? Yes! Ilia landed the first 4A at US Classic, his first competition of the season.

Who will make the GPF?

Ilia Malinin was the only American man to qualify for GPF.

Will Zhou and Brown compete?

Brown competed at Nationals.

Junior Men

William Annis

SP:
FS:
WS 99
SB: 77, 180.23
JGP Assignments: JGP Baltic Cup

Maxim Zharkov
SP:
FS:
WS:
SB: 58, 193.48
JGP Assignments: GP Czech

Kai Kovar
SP:
FS:
WS 119
SB: 60, 191.65
JGP Assignment: GP Czech

Lucas Broussard
SP:
FS:
WS: 43
SB 32, 211.14
JGP Assignments: JGP Poland 1, JGP Italy

Robert Yampolsky
SP:
FS:
WS:
SB: 19, 223.06
JGP Assignments: JGP Riga Cup, JGP Baltic Cup

Jacob Sanchez
SP:
FS:
WS
SB: 96, 194.03
JGP Assignments:

Michael Xie
SP:
FS:
WS:
SB: 58, 193.48
JGP Assignment: JGP Poland 1

JGPF Qualifiers

Lucas Broussard - 30 points - 420.30

Robert Yampolsky - 22 points - 419.73

Junior Worlds Team

1. Lucas Broussard
2. Robert Yampolsky
3. Daniel Martynov

Last edited:

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
It’s the beginning of a new quad and the end of an era for US Men’s figure skating. Nathan Chen, Vincent Zhou, and Jason Brown haven’t announced retirements, but I’m pretty sure Chen at least will not compete in the upcoming fall. In any case, I don’t expect that he’ll ever compete competitively again. I’m not so sure about Zhou and Brown, but if they announce clear plans to compete, then I’ll add them to the “senior men” list.

Malinin : Barring any weirdness, he will be the clear leader of the US men in the upcoming years. Less than two years ago, he wouldn’t have been competitive at all so I’m liking his trajectory thus far. He has natural charisma and a great presence on the ice that will go far, but he needs to improve his basic skating (bend those knees, kid!) and get better programs. In any case, it won’t be long at all before announcers stop yakking about his mom in warm-up introductions and start mentioning his achievements instead.

Pulkinen : Was his Worlds performance a miraculous one-time thing or is it the beginning of…something? I’m not going to bet any money on an answer to that question. Momentum is on his side and I hope he follows it up.

Ma : Ma started off really strong in the first half of the season, but then he ran out of steam in the second half. It was still a career-best season, though, as he was sent to a major international for the first-time in his career. If he gets even more consistent, I can see him as a top 3 American man. I don’t expect for him to qualify for the GPF or anything, but I can see him going to 4CC again and even Worlds if he performs like he did for the entire season.

Hiwatashi : I don’t think Hiwatashi is the most talented of the group of men that went senior (or were switch-hitting) in the 2018-2020 time frame, but I do think he’s the one most likely to get it together. He’s also the one that seems to be healthy enough to push the tech. He can’t handle the tech just yet but practice makes perfect. If he’s going to get it together, now is the time.

Paniot and Naumov both struggled with injury after having breakout performances at Nationals. Torgashev hasn’t competed in two years, but in hindsight, the last two years were perfect for time off.

Annis : So I happens to tune into a random JGP and literally the first thing I see is this kid horribly jacking up a spin at the end of a free skate. I was charmed by this and decided to check out his SP and replayed his free. His jumps are uncontrolled and his spins need a doctor, but there’s something about him. Who does this chap remind me of? The dearly retired Alexei Krasnozhon. As such, I’m not going to bother getting invested. Let’s see if he makes it to seniors.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A few notes on potential retirements/not competing:

I don't have the link, but Nathan did a Youtube interview with a Yale channel where he said he is not training (at a competitive level)for the next two years. He wants to concentrate on school and enjoy what Yale has to offer. He is keeping his options open after that.

Jason and Vincent are keeping their cards close to the vest. Jason has said in interviews he will take at least until the end of the SOI tour to make a decision.

Annis : So I happens to tune into a random JGP and literally the first thing I see is this kid horribly jacking up a spin at the end of a free skate. I was charmed by this and decided to check out his SP and replayed his free. His jumps are uncontrolled and his spins need a doctor, but there’s something about him. Who does this chap remind me of? The dearly retired Alexei Krasnozhon. As such, I’m not going to bother getting invested. Let’s see if he makes it to seniors.

I'm so glad someone else said this. I got a lot of grief for calling Will the next Alex K., but I loved Alex K., and that was a high compliment from me. Will has the passion and the wild jumps and Alex eventually invested in spins and choreo. So I have hope for Will :)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ma : Ma started off really strong in the first half of the season, but then he ran out of steam in the second half. It was still a career-best season, though, as he was sent to a major international for the first-time in his career. If he gets even more consistent, I can see him as a top 3 American man. I don’t expect for him to qualify for the GPF or anything, but I can see him going to 4CC again and even Worlds if he performs like he did for the entire season.
Don't forget his bronze at Golden Spin!

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Recent interview with Vincent, where he confirms he will go to school full time and also keeps his options open for after school:

“Now that I’m not going to have a foot in each world and not run full speed ahead in both, but just two feet in the academic world, I’m excited,” he exclaimed.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Recent interview with Vincent, where he confirms he will go to school full time and also keeps his options open for after school:

“Now that I’m not going to have a foot in each world and not run full speed ahead in both, but just two feet in the academic world, I’m excited,” he exclaimed.

Wow. I'm very surprised. I thought he had walked that back.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Cross posting:

I'm not sure where to put these, but Max Settlage (former US Pairs skater and USFS illustrator) has returned with illustrations of the ladies and men's singles. They are combined, so I am going to post in both Ladies and Men's threads.

Always loved Max's work:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason featured on Team USA (all Olympians, not just figure skaters) Pride Month post:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tim is there also and they look very happy!

Yes, I cross posted about Timothy in the the Pairs thread. 😍 Unfortunately they are not on social media.

Jason is though...

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Aww Vincent climbed a very impressive crazy looking mountain/mountain range with his friends and looks happy. The Mumma in me is so thrilled to see him happy 🥰

Apple1078

Final Flight
Aww Vincent climbed a very impressive crazy looking mountain/mountain range with his friends and looks happy. The Mumma in me is so thrilled to see him happy 🥰

I think spending time with everyone on the SOI US tour did wonders for his mental health (this particular cast was so wholesome and they seemed really close) and he looks happy. I just want him to go off to college and embrace that chapter of his life.