2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
YT videos from the Ice:

Marin Honda FS La La Land https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a2I2TVSpQY

Kaori Sakamoto SP No Roots https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgLBWmQla5c

Miyu Honda EX Hand Clap https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEN8UGqSchA

(& Rika Kihira FS International Angel of Peace https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWBaLlws2UQ)

I like Marin's program the most! maybe I'm just biased...
although lalaland was used a lot in recent years, Marin can make it special. I feel like Marin knows how to have fun during her programs.
If only you did your jumps, Marin! :gaah:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Imo Marin's previous LP (lovers) had better choreo (and i like the music while i barely stand La la land).
But i see that Marin has fun with that program and she sells it.
I would like to see her attempt her competition layout in show. Falls are not costly in shows.

tosca

On the Ice
Imo Marin's previous LP (lovers) had better choreo (and i like the music while i barely stand La la land).
But i see that Marin has fun with that program and she sells it.
I would like to see her attempt her competition layout in show. Falls are not costly in shows.

I loved lovers (hated the costume... too sugary pink). I was always so sad we didn’t see it’s full potential

Wombat1800

On the Ice
I like Marin's program the most! maybe I'm just biased...
although lalaland was used a lot in recent years, Marin can make it special. I feel like Marin knows how to have fun during her programs.
If only you did your jumps, Marin! :gaah:

I agree. She really seems to be enjoying herself and having fun during that program, and while I don't like La La Land, I feel like it can bring out the best in Marin.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I loved lovers (hated the costume... too sugary pink). I was always so sad we didn’t see it’s full potential

Me too. It was choreographed so beautifully, and while this La La Land program is nice and all, I was hoping she’d reuse Lovers instead of Seven Nation Army.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I think the La La Land program highlights Marin's strengths. She has the personality for it. (Actually watching her skate it gives me Asada vibes). Last year's free was pretty but slow & a bit hard for me to stay attuned to as the season ran on. One year was enough for me.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Benoît Richaud made great music cuts, again. Why am i not surprised by the long piano part?
I thought that this program would finish like her Bond EX, that she performed just once iirc (it wasn't great imo).
But it's way better. The stsq and chsq are the highlights of the program. But there is the same issue than in the SP. She needs more energy.

Wombat1800

On the Ice
Ladies and gentleman, Kaortrix

https://twitter.com/baby_cat_love/status/1158007419504431104?s=21

https://twitter.com/baby_cat_love/status/1158008261280272389?s=21

The step sequence and the choreographic sequence into the loop are no joke!!

I can’t wait to see how this develops!!

Love it! Both her programs this year are such a different style, and I can't wait to see how she does. I know you can't read too much into the layout at a show, but interesting that she does 2 loops instead of 2 flips. I wonder if the 2A is where she plans a 3A later in the season.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Imo the 2nd loop will be a flip, unless she does a -3lo combo. Otherwise i don't see why she would lose points by jumping a 3lo instead of 3F.. The 2A may be a place holder for a 3A. But i guess that if she includes a 3A, the others jumps will be 3F-3T, 3lz, 3S, 3F-2T, 2A-3T-2T, 3lo

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Imo the 2nd loop will be a flip, unless she does a -3lo combo. Otherwise i don't see why she would lose points by jumping a 3lo instead of 3F.. The 2A may be a place holder for a 3A. But i guess that if she includes a 3A, the others jumps will be 3F-3T, 3lz, 3S, 3F-2T, 2A-3T-2T, 3lo

A 3F+3Lo is planned for her FS. Lori revealed it when she showed some of the choreo plan for Marin's FS.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Heads-up for the upcoming local summer competitions.

[19-20] Summer competition#2 - Kanto Summer Trophy (at Saitama Ice Arena)
Time: Aug 8~11
Starting order:
(in Japanese)

[19-20] Summer competition#3 - Gen-san Summer Cup (at Shiga Prefectural Ice Arena)
Time: Aug 9~12
Starting order: (in Japanese, updated Jul 27th)

Sr. men: Tomono Kazuki, Sota Yamamoto, Yamakuma Taiichiro, Kishina Yuto (moving into Sr.)
Sr. ladies: Yuhana Yokoi, Mako Yamashita, Yuna Shiraiwa, Mai Mihara, Kaori Sakamoto, Wakaba Higuchi
Jr. men: Tsuboi Tatsuya, Sena Miyake, Mitsuki Sumoto
Jr. ladies: Rino Matsuike, Rion Sumiyoshi, Nana Araki, Miyu Honda, Hanna Yoshida, Chisato Uramatsu, Rika Tejima, Rinka Watanabe, Kinayu Yokoi, Mana Kawabe (it looks like the jr. ladies will be in interesting 3A competitions for their FS...)

BTW, the Gen-san competition will be broadcast LIVE domestically (by Jsports-on-demand)

Last edited:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
For summer competitions, are the skaters free to compete wherever they want? Because for regionals and sectionals, eastern and western skaters can't compete together. That's why i'm surprised to see Wakaba at Gensan summer cup.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
For summer competitions, are the skaters free to compete wherever they want? Because for regionals and sectionals, eastern and western skaters can't compete together. That's why i'm surprised to see Wakaba at Gensan summer cup.

For summer competitions, it depends. I just checked very quickly, so competition such as Gensan is open to skaters from all round Japan. But for Kanto Summer Trophy, it opens to skaters only in Kanto region (and may accept more from the neighboring Tokyo region but with restriction).
As for regionals and sectionals, of course there will be restrictions since these are held specifically for local skaters and by local skate divisions (of the area and/or the region).

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Heads-up for the upcoming local summer competitions.

[19-20] Summer competition#2 - Kanto Summer Trophy (at Saitama Ice Arena)
Time: Aug 8~11
Starting order:
(in Japanese)

[19-20] Summer competition#3 - Gen-san Summer Cup (at Shiga Prefectural Ice Arena)
Time: Aug 9~12
Starting order: (in Japanese, updated Jul 27th)

Sr. men: Tomono Kazuki, Sota Yamamoto, Yamakuma Taiichiro, Kishina Yuto (moving into Sr.)
Sr. ladies: Yuhana Yokoi, Mako Yamashita, Yuna Shiraiwa, Mai Mihara, Kaori Sakamoto, Wakaba Higuchi
Jr. men: Tsuboi Tatsuya, Sena Miyake, Mitsuki Sumoto
Jr. ladies: Rino Matsuike, Rion Sumiyoshi, Nana Araki, Miyu Honda, Hanna Yoshida, Chisato Uramatsu, Rika Tejima, Rinka Watanabe, Kinayu Yokoi, Mana Kawabe (it looks like the jr. ladies will be in interesting 3A competitions for their FS...)

BTW, the Gen-san competition will be broadcast LIVE domestically (by Jsports-on-demand)

So tecnically early japanese nationals, I hope we get the results for both senior and junior