2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating

medoroa

On the Ice
For summer competitions, it depends. I just checked very quickly, so competition such as Gensan is open to skaters from all round Japan. But for Kanto Summer Trophy, it opens to skaters only in Kanto region (and may accept more from the neighboring Tokyo region but with restriction).

Tokyo is in the Kanto district of Japan, it's just that the regionals of Japanese nationals has a "Tokyo" block as well as a "Kanto" block because Tokyo has so many skaters they needed to split them up for fairness and convenience. The summer competitions are organized/sponsored by local skating feds and corporations (Gensan is a wagyu producer in Shiga) and aren't meant to decide who's the best skater of the particular region (unlike the regionals), so they're typically open to everyone.

Ballade88

On the Ice
I think the La La Land program highlights Marin's strengths. She has the personality for it. (Actually watching her skate it gives me Asada vibes). Last year's free was pretty but slow & a bit hard for me to stay attuned to as the season ran on. One year was enough for me.

I actually thought La La Land soundtrack would have been a great choice for Mao! I agree that it is a great choice for Marin's skating style as well. I wish the music cuts and choreography were better. It would have been much better just to use the instrumental version throughout the program. Her jumps are the problem; they have almost no height now. :(

Rika's program is interesting, but it seems to be a mismatch. Tom Dickson is great but I don't think his choreography quite matches Rika's style. His programs tend to be abstract and intricate, which is a wonderful fit for Satoko but not so much for Rika. She needs more upbeat or powerful sweeping music to highlight her strengths. I think Shae-lynn Bourne and Pasquale Camerlengo (choreographer for Daisuke and Akiko) would be great choices. Akiko herself would be a good choice as well.

Giu

On the Ice
Country
Italy
Rika's program is interesting, but it seems to be a mismatch. Tom Dickson is great but I don't think his choreography quite matches Rika's style. His programs tend to be abstract and intricate, which is a wonderful fit for Satoko but not so much for Rika. She needs more upbeat or powerful sweeping music to highlight her strengths. I think Shae-lynn Bourne and Pasquale Camerlengo (choreographer for Daisuke and Akiko) would be great choices. Akiko herself would be a good choice as well.

Couldn't agree more. Looking at the program it seemed to me to see Satoko but unfortunately without the Satoko vibe.:(
I just hope she manages to give it her very own trademark during the season

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
After watching Rika's SP and FS several times I must say I love them now. I especially loved Rika's fire in her eyes during the StSq in her FS at The ICE. I am probably alone in this, but I love the arm choreography during the FS.

readernick

Medalist
I actually thought La La Land soundtrack would have been a great choice for Mao! I agree that it is a great choice for Marin's skating style as well. I wish the music cuts and choreography were better. It would have been much better just to use the instrumental version throughout the program. Her jumps are the problem; they have almost no height now. :(

I think Tom Dickson's choreo last year was a perfect match for Rika. I don't see Rika thriving with fun choreography from the choreographers you mentioned because her personality on the ice is intense and serious. ( I personally think the SP will be more of a struggle for her this year.)This particular program from Dickson is a bit of a stretch for Rika and I think there are a few too many music cuts but I think her performance will improve throughout the season. Satoko was not the same wonderful performer 4 years ago as she is today. Rika has grown so much as a performer over the last two years. I think this program will be another opportunity for her to grow.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Another strong team will compete at the third junior grand prix in Riga, Latvia. Rino Matsuike and Rion Sumiyoshi are the ladies scheluded to compete there. I'm exited about the upcoming junior grand prix season, many ladies with great potential, I think the results will be so much better than last year season.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Both competitions currently underway:

[19-20] Summer competition#2 - Kanto Summer Trophy (at Saitama Ice Arena)
Time: Aug 8~11
Starting order:
(in Japanese)
Jr. ladies' SP results (unofficial):
Shiika Yoshioka 3Lz-3T 3L//2A 61.98
Yuna Aoki 3Lz-2T 2A// 3Lo 59.42
Tomoe Kawabata 2A 3LZ-3T fall// 3L 51.06

*Yuna will WD from FS, as announced after SP

[19-20] Summer competition#3 - Gen-san Summer Cup (at Shiga Prefectural Ice Arena)
Time: Aug 9~12
Starting order: (in Japanese, updated Jul 27th)

Sr. ladies: Yuhana Yokoi, Mako Yamashita, Yuna Shiraiwa, Mai Mihara, Kaori Sakamoto, Wakaba Higuchi
Jr. ladies: Rino Matsuike, Rion Sumiyoshi, Nana Araki, Miyu Honda, Hanna Yoshida, Chisato Uramatsu, Rika Tejima, Rinka Watanabe, Kinayu Yokoi, Mana Kawabe (it looks like the jr. ladies will be in interesting 3A competitions for their FS...)

Withdrawn skaters from 1st day of competition:
Sr. ladies: Mai Mihara
Jr. ladies: Nana Araki, Mana Kawabe

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Day 1 of Gen-san Cup, I'm updating the results fro Jr. ladies' SP below (this post will keep on being updated until the end of the SP competition)
[19-20] Summer competition#3 - Gen-san Summer Cup (at Shiga Prefectural Ice Arena)
Time: Aug 9~12
Starting order: (in Japanese, updated Jul 27th)

Sr. ladies: Yuhana Yokoi, Mako Yamashita, Yuna Shiraiwa, Mai Mihara, Kaori Sakamoto, Wakaba Higuchi

Jr. ladies: Rino Matsuike, Rion Sumiyoshi, Nana Araki, Miyu Honda, Hanna Yoshida, Chisato Uramatsu, Rika Tejima, Rinka Watanabe, Kinayu Yokoi, Mana Kawabe (it looks like the jr. ladies will be in interesting 3A competitions for their FS...)

BTW, the Gen-san competition will be broadcast LIVE domestically (by Jsports-on-demand)

13. Rino Matsuike 3L 2A//3L-3T clean 63.94
16 Rion Sumiyushi 2A 3F+Combo(fall) 3Lo 54.27
24 Nana Araki WD
25 Miyu Honda 3Lz-2T 3L//2A 54.47
29 Hanna Yoshida 3Lz-2T 2A 3L (so) 49.94
36 Chisato Uramatsu 3Lz+Combo(fall) 2A 3Lo 48.10
42 Rika Tejima 3Lz+3T 2A 3Lo 49.96 (reported as a clean skate, not sure about the score...)
44 Rinka Watanabe 3Lz+2T 3Lo 2A 50.34
45 Wakana Naganawa 3S+2T 2A 3Lo fall 46.07
47 Kinayu Yokoi 3Lzso2T 2A 3Lofall 42.34
48 Mana Wakabe WD

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Both competitions currently underway:

Jr. ladies' SP results (unofficial):
Shiika Yoshioka 3Lz-3T 3L//2A 61.98
Yuna Aok 3Lz-2T 2A// 3Lo 59.42
Tomoe Kawabata 2A 3LZ-3T fall// 3L 51.06

*Yuna will WD from FS, as announced after SP

Withdrawn skaters from 1st day of competition:
Sr. ladies: Mai Mihara
Jr. ladies: Nana Araki, Mana Kawabe

Is Shiika likely to take part in the JGP this year? I don't recall seeing her name in the S list yet.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
How is Yuhana Yokoi doing? Have we seen her compete yet this season?
I know she’s keeping her Phantom long program, but what is her short program?

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Yuhana will compete in the Sr. ladies' at Gensan. She'll skate 2nd (among 59 ladies' skaters).

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Day 2 of Gen-san Cup, the (unofficial) results from Sr. ladies' SP (this post will keep on being updated until the end of the SP competition).

2. Yuhana Yokoi 3F3T LSp CSp 2A(ot) 3Lz StSq CCoSp 67.01
9. Rino Kasakake 59.72
12 Mako Yamashita 3S+3T 2A 3Lo 61.12
16 Yuna Shiraiwa 3Lz+3T 2A 3Lo 68.52
21 Hina Takeno 3T+(ot)+3T 1Lz* 2A 52.77
24 Mai Mihara (WD....get well soon, Mai!!)
26 Saki Miyake 3T3T 3Lo 2A 60.16
31 Yuka Nagai 3T+3T 3Lz 2A 56.35
41 Kaori Sakamoto 3F+3T(ot) 2A 3Lo fall 58.62
52 Miyabi Oba 3S fall 3Lo+2T 2A 51.17
54 Rin Nitaya 56.95 3Lz 2A 3T+(ot)+2T
56 Wakaba Higuchi 2A Lz* 3F (ot?) 48.92

NB: this twitter account is providing videos from live broadcast (of limited access, so watch them while you can!): https://twitter.com/0316seisato/
NB2: as all the video have expired, I'm deleting all the video links to the above!

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Is Mako injured? She didnt do 3Lz and 3F in SP and change to 3S/3Lo?

Yes, there was post competition interview, and Mako said she's having problems with both her feet since May. So she had to refrain from doing toe jumps, I think.

skatenewbie

Medalist
Yes, there was post competition interview, and Mako said she's having problems with both her feet since May. So she had to refrain from doing toe jumps, I think.
Thanks for the info! Hopefully she'll get well soon! Nice to see her competing and have plan B for jumping pass.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Quick question: is Rina Yoshida (吉田 莉菜) Hanna Yoshida's older sister? Looks like Rina is also with Coach Monna.