Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021 | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think that ESPN ranking is a couple months old, I went and ordered a copy of that issue (with the Naomi Osaka cover!). No nice feature like 2018 but it’s nice to see his name in print.

What number is Naomi? I couldn't see her...

Imov

Medalist
Speaking of endorsements, it is most likely everyone's dream to be signed up by P and G.
But currently Yuzu did not renew with them, where imo just proves he is not just after the $$$$.
Of course its something we all know, but continuously puts me in awe everyday.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
https://twitter.com/oro1_/status/1153782673380237312?s=20
According to this article from Sanspo, there won't be a media practice for Yuzu in Toronto like there usually is every summer.

It's just that sentence in an article about the possibility of Yuzu being a torch bearer for the Olympics in 2020.

--No comments directly from Yuzu or his team, I wonder if we'll really have to wait till September to get any news! :shocked:
---

ANA has updated their Yuzu section with some new photos and a little interview.

Translation found here: https://twitter.com/BlueFlame4YUZU/status/1153644246148104193?s=20

Last edited:

ankifeather

Final Flight
I think it makes sense for Yuzu not to have media day before ACI this year. In the past, media day usually occurs August or September, because that is when Yuzu's programs are at a stage ready to be shown. And then there is a whole month before ACI to hone it further.

However, ACI is held early this year in mid September, which means having media day the usual time may be interfering with both his and other TCC skaters preparation period for ACI. Also since ACI is near TCC this year, it would probably be more logistically convenient for reporters to have media day with ACI. That is, after the competition, the media follows him back to TCC to film their usual one year worth of interviews and photoshoots, instead of having to come to Canada twice within a short period of time.

Of course this is just me speculating...The newspaper could just be wrong. Or Yuzu may also wish to have no media day at all this year to completely focus.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Or maybe he will be repeating his programs? Except... I can see him retooling Origin with a wish to make it as perfect as possible, but even Yuzuru must realise that Otonal was pretty much there.

Oh wait.... this is Yuzuru Hanyu we are talking about....

ps - any in any case, he had a media day in 2018 when he was repeating Chopin and Seimei, so don't mind me. Our boy is an enigma wrapped in sparkles.

ankifeather

Final Flight
Oh I see the Japanese morning TV news also reported about that news article although the focus is on the Olympics relay. I guess speculation about Yuzu being torch bearer started again since ANA was just announced as organiser supporting partner for the Olympics torch relay

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh I see the Japanese morning TV news also reported about that news article although the focus is on the Olympics relay. I guess speculation about Yuzu being torch bearer started again since ANA was just announced as organiser supporting partner for the Olympics torch relay

Okay, I would now be officially astonished if he isn't, probably for the Sendai area (although there will probably be quite a lot of Japanese who want him to light the final beacon, Yuzu himself may feel that's an honour for a summer athlete)

Imov

Medalist
The idea of no media day is making draining my energy...lmao
How can I last until ACI or worst until Skate Canada?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I hope yuzuru can do a quad lutz in compeition. His tech. is one of the best in the world

The one at that FAoI was so so beautiful....

We are all wondering just how beautiful the 4A will be.

The idea of no media day is making draining my energy...lmao
How can I last until ACI or worst until Skate Canada?

I know! Maybe the Japanese press will have mercy and find things to post about. Like endless conjecture on whether he will be in the Olympics relay and if so where.... :laugh:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
While dying of Yuzu drought, at least we have some news, it seems Yuzu has been entered into the Autumn Classic International's roster.
https://twitter.com/BluecosmosH/status/1153902033415524352?s=20

I wonder if that security guard who had to pick Yuzu up bodily and carry him out of 'danger' will be there this year? :laugh:

Seriously that is great to hear (and now the rush for tickets starts). At least if we don't get a media day :sad21: we won't have to wait till Skate Canada to find anything out....

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I wonder if that security guard who had to pick Yuzu up bodily and carry him out of 'danger' will be there this year? :laugh:

Seriously that is great to hear (and now the rush for tickets starts). At least if we don't get a media day :sad21: we won't have to wait till Skate Canada to find anything out....

I think I remember that he said he'd do it if he had to, not that he actually had to pick Yuzu up. :laugh:

yude

Record Breaker
https://twitter.com/oro1_/status/1153782673380237312?s=20
According to this article from Sanspo, there won't be a media practice for Yuzu in Toronto like there usually is every summer.

It's just that sentence in an article about the possibility of Yuzu being a torch bearer for the Olympics in 2020.

--No comments directly from Yuzu or his team, I wonder if we'll really have to wait till September to get any news! :shocked:
---

ANA has updated their Yuzu section with some new photos and a little interview.

Translation found here: https://twitter.com/BlueFlame4YUZU/status/1153644246148104193?s=20

Thank you for posting news, I gasped at Sanspo article at 6 in the morning and posted it in this thread, but my morning head had trouble in writing English and I deleted it before going work (sorry if someone read my post). I thought this sentence was a little bit vague in Japanese "近年夏に拠点のカナダ・トロントで行っていた公開練習は今年実施しない", but your translation is literally correct and I also think he won't have media day this year. But about 10% of me still want to believe there will be media day in somewhere else :laugh: (One time, he had media days in both Toronto and Sendai.)

This is what I saw on twitter some weeks ago, the date of media day in the past.

2013 Aug 20 (Tuesday)
2014 Aug 7 (Thursday)
2015 Aug 6 (Thursday)
2016 Sep 13 (Tuesday)
2017 Aug 8 (Tuesday)
2018 Aug 30 (Thursday)

Actually I was guessing it would be on the first or second week in August this year since ACI is ealier than usual, but Yuzuru surpassed my expectation :laugh2:

And this is some excerpts from my previous post about final torch bearer, Sanspo article says similar thing including high possibility of a kid born on 3.11.2011 being the final torch bearer.

But it is said in Japan that the theme of Tokyo Olympics is "復興" (reconstruction/restoration/recovery), and if it chooses an athlete, I can't think of anyone but Yuzuru who is two times Olympic gold medalist, born in Sendai, making sizable donation, and also received People's honor award. But I looked up Tokyo Olympics of 1964 and there the final runner was an amateur athlete born in Hiroshima on the day of atomic bomb. So I can see a local kid or an athlete will be the one,

ankifeather

Final Flight
Yuzu is probably very easy to pick up or lift though. He had been secretly practicing it with ice dancers and pair skaters all these years XD.

Anyways this weekend we won't have blackhole..There is Makuhari 3rd day which based on reports the Masquerade is even better than the first day and Toyama extended broadcast which may finally show us the quad flip.

Imov

Medalist
Excited for the weekend but will be crawling in August.
Yuzu just to your best, we will be cheering you on always.

firal

Record Breaker
I was definitely looking forward to media day!! But he has to announce at least the music selection somehow before competition right? Like we've never had a competition where a skater's music is still unknown until s/he steps on the ice I think?! :drama: I don't think I'm ready to just see a few lines in someone's tweet announcing his programs without hearing his idea behind it.

Also, this year 24hr TV program, Asada Mao is the main personality hosting the show. I was seeing people guessing that means Yuzuru will not participate this year because Mao is also skating(most likely).

As for the torch bearer next year, it was exactly one year to go until the Olympics yesterday, so that was why news programs were speculating. I think the highest probability is for him to be one of the final torch bearers, the ones that run around in the arena where the opening ceremony will be held, but not exactly the final one who lights the cauldron.

So much speculation!!:laugh:

pianistliz

On the Ice
So I'm branching out and reading up on past Olympics (pre-Hanyu) via Goldenskate forums and YouTube, and I came across this post in the 2010 Olympics free skate thread after Lysacek won over Plushenko: "I really believe Mr Button can sleep calm, I dont see a skater breaking his record for many many years more, Plush was one of the few who could do it. I dont know when we will see the next one." Little did he/she know that the very next season Yuzuru Hanyu would emerge on the scene and break the record the very next 2 Olympics! :D