Max Aaron | Page 88 | Golden Skate

Max Aaron

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Social media alert! Max just posted on his instagram stories...with Adam's mirror ball trophy. Hmmmmmmmmmm!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Social media alert! Max just posted on his instagram stories...with Adam's mirror ball trophy. Hmmmmmmmmmm!

Just a guess, but suggests to me that maybe Max and Adam were able to meet up in Arizona? :ghug:

Adam (who is a client [and friend?] of Max's boss) just performed as the headliner in a club show there. I believe the young daughter of Max's boss skated in it too.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oooh! Maybe we will get pictures.

I am hoping that someone might get video of him at the Ice Den show in a couple of weeks. I miss him too much already.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
A few Max bits in the June-July issue of Skating Magazine:

p. 42 of the magazine: The article about Jump On It! camp includes discussion of the "poignant" keynote address … and Max's message that "his gold medal was the journey through skating."

ETA (on Jun 20):

USFS Fan Zone now has published a shorter version of the Jump On It! article, including the Max parts.

http://www.usfigureskatingfanzone.c...eive-exciting-instruction-at-jump-on-it-camp/ (Jun 18)​

p. 31: Among Team USA superlatives, Max is "most likely to give a pre-competition pep talk." :luv17:

p. 3: The USFS Class of 2018 collage includes the Max-Jason pre-SP photo at Four Continents. #friendship​

ETA:

Fan art (newly posted) of Max and podium-mates at 2017 Cup of China:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj5rCl9ljET/?taken-by=tonkatsunanako (Jun 11)​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… I am hoping that someone might get video of him at the Ice Den show in a couple of weeks. I miss him too much already.

Grasping at straws here, but Instagram story of @icedenaz has a video snippet of a zillion skaters at rehearsal for the shows.

Impossible to see clearly, but among all the blurry people on the ice, there is one who (to my eyes) possibly(???) could be Max??? Possibly wearing his familiar black down jacket with hood??? (Although the Team USA insignia is not visible.) On the side of the ice near the bleachers, talking with a taller person. They are not at all the focus of the snippet.

Just mentioning in case anyone wants to start following the account to keep an eye on any new stuff … which possibly(???) :pray: could show Max???

Anyway, I hope he has a lot of fun at the shows and receives a lot of love on his old stomping grounds. :ghug:

Throwback: I happened to come across IN articles re Pacific Coast Sectionals in 2007, when Max still was juggling hockey :bow: and figure skating.

Re the Junior Men's FS:

Keegan Messing ... won the free skate today but lost the war to Max Aaron (Coyotes FSC of Arizona).
… Aaron, also 15, was able to maintain a lead over Messing due to his strong effort in the short program. The first-year junior is also a competitive hockey player who will jump on a plane on Sunday to head home for a tournament. Aaron landed seven clean triples, including a flip and Lutz in combination, to finish with 119.25 points in the free skate and 177.06 overall.
"I think that my jumps and footwork went well today," reflected Aaron. "I'm going to go home and work on my overall skating so that I can increase my second mark."

Re the SP:

The most hotly contested event of the day was the junior men's short program, with three men finishing within four points of each other. Six men have a realistic shot at placing in the top four overall after the free skate on Friday.
Leading the pack is 16-year-old Richard Dornbush (All Year FSC), who barely edged out rink mate Andrew Gonzales and Max Aaron (Coyotes SC of Arizona) for the win.
… Finishing in third place, Aaron skated a fun program to marching band music that included a triple Lutz-double toe combination and a triple loop. It appeared as if Aaron was going to skate cleanly after his double Axel, but at the last minute, he stepped out of the jump and that made the difference between him and Gonzales. Aaron earned 57.81 points for his short program.

Kinda sad :sad4: that it soon will no longer be possible to stumble upon old IN bits.

ETA (on Jun 15):

One of the Instagram story updates is a Boomerang version of Max jumping in the finale of the first show. Happy :hap85: to see SnuggleBat even in just this one little shot. But I miss him soooo much. :sad4:

ETA: And now a second Boomerang of special guest star Max jumping has been added. In this one, he is wearing a white shirt … with a dark untied bowtie. If for a particular program, I wonder which one??​

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
ETA: And now a second Boomerang of special guest star Max jumping has been added. In this one, he is wearing a white shirt … with a dark untied bowtie. If for a particular program, I wonder which one??[/INDENT]

It looked to me like the shirt he originally wore for Footloose. I wonder if that means he has a new show program? *starts hopefully trawling the interwebs*

Enjoyed the clips. He did a triple "flip" :laugh: in one of them and a fly to scratch upright. Hard to see what the other jump in the first clip was because they didn't have the takeoff. Could have been a loop. So still doing his good triples and still looks in tremendous shape of course - although I think we all knew that Max was never going to be one of those ones who'd be a couch potato after the end.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It looked to me like the shirt he originally wore for Footloose. I wonder if that means he has a new show program? *starts hopefully trawling the interwebs*

Enjoyed the clips. He did a triple "flip" :laugh: in one of them and a fly to scratch upright. Hard to see what the other jump in the first clip was because they didn't have the takeoff. Could have been a loop. So still doing his good triples and still looks in tremendous shape of course - although I think we all knew that Max was never going to be one of those ones who'd be a couch potato after the end.

Would love to see video from his program … but even the series of mini-snippets of the finales from each of the four shows made me happy.

Sorry that I stopped making notes after the second one, but I esp. enjoyed the bits that had audio of the cheering for Max. :yay:

The photo of the entire cast made me teary. I bet it has been inspiring to some of those skaters to watch from a distance over the years as Max represented Scottsdale so well on and off the ice -- and then to perform alongside this outstanding role model :bow: this weekend. And I'm sure that it is gratifying to Max to know that he has been a source of pride and inspiration.

ETA (on Jun 17):

Ice Den has perma-posted a small batch of still photos, including a solo shot of Max and the big cast photo (the final photo).

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkIYcrZhhAD/?taken-by=icedenaz (Jun 17)
https://www.facebook.com/icedenaz/photos/pcb.2030133420351447/2030132873684835/?type=3&theater (same photos cross-posted on FB)​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
A Max mention -- apparently at the U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame:

(Sincere thanks to Jeremy's mother, who understandably posted for another reason.)

Included earlier today in the U.S. Men thread, but cross-posting here 'cause we missed Max so much :sad4: at Aerial Challenge this afternoon:

… Aerial Challenge once again will be a fundraiser for Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. :cool:
And our beloved Max's presence lives on :ghug: in the moving video within the epic Aerial Challenge logo on the JDRF pages.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Indeed the Aerial Challenge is probably the first time since the announcement that I have felt so grieved about it. Subconsciously I supposed it would not feel real until I did not see his name on the GP roster, but this was worse, probably because we have never had an Aerial Challenge without Max before today.

And watching the Championship round I feel he would have dominated that competition - and perhaps, still could be competitive in it, even if he wasn't competing in traditional formats. Maybe we will see him as a guest judge next year.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Because IN is shutting down today, I have been binge-watching/reading old IN videos and articles related to Max. Also listening to old audio files and looking at old photos.

... Haven't seen Max in many group numbers. He'd probably steal the show!!

Some of my favorite-ever footage of Max is from the opening group number of 2013 Skate for Hope. Max looked so happy as he performed alongside many friends.
And he showed that great dancing comes naturally to him :dance2:.

It's the first part (lasting approx. 3:30) here: http://web.icenetwork.com/video/v31219763

(I watched via Internet Explorer. It does not play via Microsoft Edge.)

One of the ways I have found old IN links for Max stuff is by browsing through this thread.

When I came across Skatefan's post (from 2016), it inspired me to re-post the old Skate for Hope link, in case anyone else wants to take a look.

[For his solo number, Max performed to a Stevie Wonder medley. He obviously loved connecting with the audience. (Begins at approx. 45:00.)

The finale with the headliners starts at approx. 57:10 … in which Max lifts Ashley W.]

ETA (on Jul 1):

Still looking around on IN, which still is working at the moment.

I like this photo -- from before this thread was started -- of Max receiving a small medal at his first-ever ISU championship:

Sunday backstage at Four Continents (2013)

Max Aaron salutes the attendees at the small medals ceremony following the free skate. Aaron placed second in the free to go from 10th after the short to fourth overall.

February 10, 2013 | Renee Felton

http://web.icenetwork.com/photos/41516246?image_id=1

(BTW, in the FS: Kevin Reynolds placed first; someone named Yuzuru Hanyu third; Daisuke Takahashi eighth. #NoRegrets)​

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The old Footloose costume, I didn't think we'd see that one again. He looks so happy. New haircut?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Instagram story of @bridgewater_sa is showing stuff from today's Tom Z seminar in NJ, for which Max and Mirai are special guests.

So far the shots of the rink have not had any close-ups. I think I can see TZ, but my eyes have not spotted Max or Mirai yet.

According to the schedule, the on-ice parts of the seminar ended approx. fifteen minutes ago.

"Dinner With The Stars" is from 6:00 - 9:00 pm (starting in less than an hour), so fingers crossed that maybe we will get a glimpse of Max there.

ETA:

Photos of Max and Mirai with skaters:

… New haircut?

Similar short haircut today. :) Looks good.​

ETA (on Jul 15):

Group photo of Max, Mirai, Tom, and others:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlO_V-SlsaO/?taken-by=bridgewater_sa (Jul 14)​

Whoa! Social media alert! :laugh:

Max posted this pic with Kostner on instagram. "#fbf with the legend".

:luv17: So sweet. Nice to see Max reminiscing.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Max is in today's :laugh15: "Team USA Men Play Heads Up!" video montage :popcorn:, along with Nathan and Grant.

My guess is that the raw video is from 2017 Champs Camp?

Bittersweet :sad4: to be reminded that Max will not be at 2018 Champs Camp, but lotsa fun to see him at play. :dance2: :hap93:

All three guys are hilarious :laugh:/adorable :ghug: in their own ways.

(What is the last one that Max is acting out??)

p.s. USFS posted same montage today on Facebook and Instagram too.

ETA:

And … for those who saw the unidentified (and lovely) scenic shots on Max's Instagram story over the weekend, seems that he was/is visiting the fam (aka Angela Wang) in Sun Valley:

He looks great. :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Max as coral made my morning and put me in a good mood for work :biggrin:

Yay! Finally actual sighting! I mean, I like his scenic photography but it was getting kinda frustrating! :laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
"New" (new-to-me, AFAIK?) shots of Max in shirt and bold plaid vest (not wearing the jacket) are within today's USFS fashion shoot montage throwing back to 2017 Champs Camp.
(Plus other views of Max similar/identical to what USFS previously released. I just don't remember seeing him with the jacket over his shoulder before?)

https://youtu.be/CWyLmRI31jw (2:07, published Aug 16)​

Max bits scattered throughout, with a few all-Max frames at approx. 1:04.
Looking the part of the businessman who we knew he would become :bow: :cool: … although we were not sure then how soon it would be :sad4: :ghug:.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I feel like we wuzrobbed of the Max in waistcoat with jacket over the shoulder photos. They were very good looking photos!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
In case anyone wants to click on this link from TSL:

Practice Archives: Max Aaron SP Practice at 2017 United States Figure Skating Championships

https://youtu.be/Al6uOQ4DhI8 (2:50, published on Aug 15, 2018)​

I decided to watch it. With mixed feelings, to be sure, but enough time has passed since Matador Max's retirement for me to not be reduced to :sad4:.

ETA: I now have watched it a few times. Proud of Matador Max. Great program.​