2002 SLC Ladies Free Skate rerun | Golden Skate

2002 SLC Ladies Free Skate rerun

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I actually thought Hughes deserved this LP. Hardest combos with two triple-triples (both +3Lo!), and great choreo to boot. Thoughts?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Oh, definitely. It was a great skate. To me the main issue was that in the SP the marks weren't dealt out fairly. In my view Irina should have been first and Michelle, much as I adore her, 2nd or 3rd. All other things remaining the same, and Irina would have won. However, it's debatable if all other things would have remained the same. Perhaps Sarah wouldn't have skated as well as she did in the LP. Who knows? But that her LP was the best of the night, I wouldn't dare dispute!

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Oh, definitely. It was a great skate. To me the main issue was that in the SP the marks weren't dealt out fairly. In my view Irina should have been first and Michelle, much as I adore her, 2nd or 3rd. All other things remaining the same, and Irina would have won. However, it's debatable if all other things would have remained the same. Perhaps Sarah wouldn't have skated as well as she did in the LP. Who knows? But that her LP was the best of the night, I wouldn't dare dispute!

I don't want to start the scoring discussion or who should or shouldn't have been OGM (not that there isn't place for it in the thread), but I thought Sasha Cohen did best in the SP, Slutskaya second, Kwan third.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Fumie Suguri might have been the most underscored and underrated skater of that generation, both in 2002 and 2006 she deserved more in my opinion.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Fumie Suguri might have been the most underscored and underrated skater of that generation, both in 2002 and 2006 she deserved more in my opinion.

She really was. She was definitely one of my favorites.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Where would you place Suguri in those Olympics?

Probably 2nd or 3rd, she skated cleaner than Kwan and Cohen, and artistically her performances were also very beautiful and without falls, the only slight glitch was the landing of the second lutz. She had a 2lo but it was just a pop, still landed fine. Even in 2006 I had her in 2nd or 3rd.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Probably 3rd, she skated cleaner than Kwan and Cohen, and artistically her performances were also very beautiful and without falls, the only slight glitch was the landing of the second lutz. She had a 2lo but it was just a pop, still landed fine. Even in 2006 I had her in 2nd or 3rd.

Well I definitely disagree that she deserved an Olympic medal at either event. I think she deserved 2002 WC though.