Skate fitting: Edea Concertos vs Ice Fly's | Golden Skate

Skate fitting: Edea Concertos vs Ice Fly's

SophiaC

Spectator
Hello!

I'm an adult skater, 26 years old, 165-170 lbs (75-77 Kg). I skate at adult gold (juv). I've got all my singles (including axel!), and recently started on doubles. After adult sectionals / nationals, I'll probably actually start on doubles in earnest. I skate 5 - 6 days a week.

Currently, I skate in edea concertos, but they're breaking down, and it's time to buy new boots. My current pair of concertos lasted me about a year and a half (though I didn't skate much this summer due to the rink shutting down). Today I went to a skate fitting, assuming I would get an exact duplicate of what I currently have. However, the fitter told me that concertos are currently back-ordered 2-4 weeks, and ice fly's aren't, and also that ice fly's are pretty similar, and would probably last a little longer, and was kinda pushing them. I don't want to overboot, and it seems silly to move up a boot when the one I'm currently in advertises support for triples, which I'm far from attempting. But I also want to trust my skate fitter to know what he's talking about.

Does anyone have any thoughts or insights?

Thanks!

Elija

On the Ice
Hello!

I'm an adult skater, 26 years old, 165-170 lbs (75-77 Kg). I skate at adult gold (juv). I've got all my singles (including axel!), and recently started on doubles. After adult sectionals / nationals, I'll probably actually start on doubles in earnest. I skate 5 - 6 days a week.

Currently, I skate in edea concertos, but they're breaking down, and it's time to buy new boots. My current pair of concertos lasted me about a year and a half (though I didn't skate much this summer due to the rink shutting down). Today I went to a skate fitting, assuming I would get an exact duplicate of what I currently have. However, the fitter told me that concertos are currently back-ordered 2-4 weeks, and ice fly's aren't, and also that ice fly's are pretty similar, and would probably last a little longer, and was kinda pushing them. I don't want to overboot, and it seems silly to move up a boot when the one I'm currently in advertises support for triples, which I'm far from attempting. But I also want to trust my skate fitter to know what he's talking about.

Does anyone have any thoughts or insights?

Thanks!
You’ll be fine in ice flys in terms of level. Ice fly and concerto are both rated for triples and quads. The main issue is the materials and whether you like the feel of the ice fly - it’s quite a different feel to the concerto due to being synthetic, lower back and different lining. Did you try the ice flys on?

I’ve been waiting months to get new edeas cause I wear a B width and they’re on back order, so frustrating, but it seems to be a worldwide issue at the moment and across differing brands too.

SophiaC

Spectator
I haven't tried ice fly's on. They've been ordered, and I'm waiting on them to come in.