2014 Cup of China Free Dance 11/08 | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2014 Cup of China Free Dance 11/08

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I used to be a participant in an online poetry workshop. We had one member who understood technique--metrics, rhythm, rhyme, etc--probably better than anyone else in the workshop, but the actual poetry he wrote wasn't particularly noteworthy. It always seemed to be dead on the page; it lacked a certain inspiration; it didn't, as I always thought, lift me as a reader into its world. Even the best technique isn't enough.

Right now, I would say the I/Z FD wasn't particularly an engaging program, at least for me. It felt like manufactured drama, a lot of sound and fury signifying not all that much. It lacked inspiration. It didn't "lift." I think a large part of the problem for me is that Ruslan recedes into the background too much. And I suspect that is going to be an ongoing problem for them. But we shall see.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well, I worked with Peggy and she knows zip about ice dancing.

Hmm, but she does seem very nice--just like Mrs P.

By the way, I agreed with your assessment of the ID FD. I do think I/Z will improve, but I do wonder if they have chemistry as a team. Will be interesting to see how it pans out. And I do agree that C/L's FD has potential, mess though it was. And yes, I can see P/C possibly making the podium at World's. Definitely in the final flight. They have "it" in abundance.

bramweld

Record Breaker
For me its a matter of taste do you like a partner that presents his lady first and then himself or the opposite. The latter was her former partner's style. Very showy. Ruslan is more modest. As he gets more confident this will improve.

Ruslan has many fine qualities, control, excellent lines, agility and a soft way of presenting his lady. That moved me so I'm hopeful his presentation of himself will improve as presently so much is not automatic for them.

This conversation is good I think, because their basic skating compels the audience to demand more of them, thus they have succeeded. This is very good for only 6 months of work. I am not disappointed, just realistic.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
For me its a matter of taste do you like a partner that presents his lady first and then himself or the opposite. The latter was her former partner's style. Very showy. Ruslan is more modest. As he gets more confident this will improve.

Ruslan has many fine qualities, control, excellent lines, agility and a soft way of presenting his lady. That moved me so I'm hopeful his presentation of himself will improve as presently so much is not automatic for them.

This conversation is good I think, because their basic skating compels the audience to demand more of them, thus they have succeeded. This is very good for only 6 months of work. I am not disappointed, just realistic.

Perhaps. And I do wish them well. Her nickname should be Charisma Galore (I'll have to think of another one for Madison Chock, who is equally compelling to me as a performer). I just think the FD is a weak program. Shrug. De gustibus non est disputandum.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
For me its a matter of taste do you like a partner that presents his lady first and then himself or the opposite. The latter was her former partner's style. Very showy. Ruslan is more modest. As he gets more confident this will improve. Ruslan has many fine qualities, control, excellent lines, agility and a soft way of presenting his lady. That moved me so I'm hopeful his presentation of himself will improve as presently so much is not automatic for them. This conversation is good I think, because their basic skating compels the audience to demand more of them, thus they have succeeded. This is very good for only 6 months of work. I am not disappointed, just realistic.

A good point about this team indeed. I have watched their SD/FD/EX several times and what really struck me is that they have their own identity as a team. Many people have state that C/L are V/M copies now and many said so about the S/K Summer exhibition. When Elena was with Nikita I was drawn to Elena and didn't really notice him. When Ruslan was with Victoria, I noticed him and his expression. Now that Elena and Ruslan are together I notice them both, I really look at them like a team. A team that has their own identity and are not a copy of someone else.

I too took a realistic approach on them for this competition. There were some rough spots sure, but over all I was impressed with their speed, their edges and footwork. As sick of Carmen as I am they did exceptionally well with that music on regards to selling. Especially when they danced in place towards the end, they create moments that grab you and for being together for 6 months. Ruslan gives face just as much as Elena and I love it!

I realize the free dance was not everyone's cup of tea but there is so much room to grow that program. I think nerves played a part and again some things to clean up but now they have feedback and I think this program will become stronger as the season progresses.

P/C were fantastic here finally getting recognition they deserve. Happy for their victory here.

The Shibs need a new coaching situation. I was very surprised that Marina sat in the K/C with C/L instead of preparing her team. Bad form on Marinas part.

I felt C/L should have been in 4th. That fall really disrupted the program and felt it through out. I think they are a great team though. I hope they go back to Igor.

beabstress

On the Ice
The fall and the botched lift aside, what I found most unsettling about C/L is that they look like the life has been sucked out of them. I don't know if it's the pressure of trying to stay on top now that they've gotten there, or if Marina has repackaged them into something that they're not comfortable with, or what--but they just don't look like the Anna and Luca that I know and love. It makes me sad.

Alba

Record Breaker
Now about IZ, I could see that the choreography is simple compared to PC and the Shibs and the second lift is a bit problematic, but their twizzle was fantastic and simply the best. They literally moved across the entire judging panel on their first set of twizzle. I'm baffled why the judges give them such little GOE. Their SD step sequence was also with the best ice coverage and edge (though probably a little less intricate than PC's and a little slower than the Shibs, but overall a +2 step sequence. I'm not sure if this is the new team penalty across the board or Zueva's politicking at work. I would worry very much if the later is the case.

I think this was just a new team "penalty". Might also be a case when judges not knowing what to expect goes a bit slow with the scores because they might get scared of going out of the line with other judges. Only one judge gave them the GoE's they deserved.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
The fall and the botched lift aside, what I found most unsettling about C/L is that they look like the life has been sucked out of them. I don't know if it's the pressure of trying to stay on top now that they've gotten there, or if Marina has repackaged them into something that they're not comfortable with, or what--but they just don't look like the Anna and Luca that I know and love. It makes me sad.

C&L looked so happy and energized at the end of last season when they made it to the top at Worlds.

I don't want to blame Marina without knowing more about the situation, but perhaps she isn't the right coach for them right now.

Could just be early season jitters, too. We've seen several World medalists struggle in the early season so far, including Javier Fernandez at Skate Canada last week.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
The problem for me with the P/I program is that it's just a nice little program. There really isn't much to say about it except that..and that's a problem. The judges seem lukewarm about it as well. A "nice" score.

Yes, this is like the discussion we had about P&I last season - they tend to skate to nice programs, but not ones that stand out or have the same distinctiveness and choreography of some of their competitors. And as you say, the judges seem respectful of the program, but lukewarm. Their score was much less than what G&P got at Skate Canada last week. Of course we need to take into account the different fields competing and home ice vs. foreign ice, but in terms of the Canadian dance rivalry, G&P may already be getting the edge over P&I early in the season.

We'll have a better idea of how the Canadian dance teams stack up against each other directly in France later this month.

dcnative

On the Ice
I believe that Natalie was very glad that P&C won, I didn’t have in mind some negative emotions towards this couple from Natalie.
I regreted that P&B didn’t get so great push from French Federation at the Olympics and World Champs, because their FD really deserved higher points in Component score than they got.

I agree 100%; and that was not the only season that they were vastly underscored.

deedee1

Record Breaker
As usual, there weren't any broadcast on Ice Dance and Pairs in my country :mad:, I've just checked Ice Dance results...omg, what happened to Anna/Luca? :eek: Also surprised the Shibs, if not them, didn't win overall, either... Was the new French team that good? And did Anna/Luca leave Igor? Really?? :confused:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
As usual, there weren't any broadcast on Ice Dance and Pairs in my country :mad:, I've just checked Ice Dance results...omg, what happened to Anna/Luca? :eek: Also surprised the Shibs, if not them, didn't win overall, either... Was the new French team that good? And did Anna/Luca leave Igor? Really?? :confused:

The Shibs were leading after the short dance, but made some costly errors (read: levels) in the FD. Papadakis/Cizeron were third but turned in a personal best FD to win. Anna and Luca did poorly in both dances. And yes they switched from Igor to Marina as their secondary coach. (Their main coach is still in Milan.)

Meoima

Match Penalty
The Shibs were leading after the short dance, but made some costly errors (read: levels) in the FD. Papadakis/Cizeron were third but turned in a personal best FD to win. Anna and Luca did poorly in both dances. And yes they switched from Igor to Marina as their secondary coach. (Their main coach is still in Milan.)
IMHO, Marina did C/L no good.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
IMHO, Marina did C/L no good.

That may be true as far as choreography, but I don't think it's entirely fair to blame Marina. C/L just looked UNPREPARED at this competition. They did not skate like reigning world champions and they have themselves to blame for that.

Meoima

Match Penalty
That may be true as far as choreography, but I don't think it's entirely fair to blame Marina. C/L just looked UNPREPARED at this competition. They did not skate like reigning world champions and they have themselves to blame for that.
I think in term of package ad well. OMG her SD dress!!
Of course no matter what kind of package they have, as long as they are fully prepared, their performances might have been much better.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Thanks for keeping me updated, Mrs. P. :)

But were they in need of switching to Marina?, I have to wonder. They were one of young and lovely couples years ago, but they had some technical issues and tended to make a costly mistakes in the big events such as Worlds, as I remember. Of course I am least knowledgeable about Dance (and its all dramas!!! :laugh:), but they did improve a lot technically, I thoguht, ever since they went to Igor. Mentally, also. As long as they're not injured, or it's about unpreparedness after the olympic season as you say, they will be in a good shape comes Euro and Worlds, I think! :yes: Anyway, I should leave my judgement undecided before I see their performances (and Anna's costume? Meoima;)) later. Good luck to Anna and Luca at TEB! :yay: