2015 Canadian Nationals Men's SP Jan 23 | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2015 Canadian Nationals Men's SP Jan 23

sses1

On the Ice
REALLY?! That's what you're saying?

That was mean.

He only had 4-5 weeks of solid training before this. The reason was an ankle sprain as a result of the boots. Seriously. That's not a lot of time. He finally have gotten boots that he feels fits.

Give him a break.....

It's a valid point. Regardless of not having enough training time, he obviously thought he was ready for NATS so I just don't see the point in withdrawing now. Who cares if you're in 12th place. You're an athlete and you still need to compete even if you have no chance at the podium and even if you're feeling depressed. Withdrawing, after one bad SP and no apparent injuries, after being so excited for this comp is very bad and its unsportsmanlike like too. What future does he have in FS, especially with him being so old and with all the other talented Canadians, if he doesn't even seem to want to put up a fight?

And I really don't know what to say about his boot issues other than how does a skater who has been skating as long as kevin has, still have problems with skating boots?

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's a valid point. Regardless of not having enough training time, he obviously thought he was ready for NATS so I just don't see the point in withdrawing now. Who cares if you're in 12th place. You're an athlete and you still need to compete even if you have no chance at the podium and even if you're feeling depressed. Withdrawing, after one bad SP and no apparent injuries, after being so excited for this comp is very bad and its unsportsmanlike like too. What future does he have in FS, especially with him being so old and with all the other talented Canadians, if he doesn't even seem to want to put up a fight?

That was really insensitive.

And that's all I'm going to say because I do not want to cause a fight. Not in the best mood.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
And I really don't know what to say about his boot issues other than how does a skater who has been skating as long as kevin has, still have problems with skating boots?
Bodies change. As long as you keep getting old your body suffer changes, feet get bigger or wider. Also your equilibrium change.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker

His life, his competition. Who are we to judge his decisions, when we don't even know his reasons.

He's not obligated to compete for the sake of people on the internet.

"all the other talented Canadians"? Seems like only two of them showed up...

sses1

On the Ice
That was really insensitive.

And that's all I'm going to say because I do not want to cause a fight. Not in the best mood.

I'm sorry if what I'm saying is coming across as insensitive I'm not trying to be insensitive, just realistic. Besides, even you have to admit, it looks very bad for someone to withdraw from a competition just because they bombed their SP. That's an excuse, not a reason.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sorry if what I'm saying is coming across as insensitive I'm not trying to be insensitive, just realistic. Besides, even you have to admit, it looks very bad for someone to withdraw from a competition just because they bombed their SP. That's an excuse, not a reason.

No. I DON'T think that.

sses1

On the Ice
He's not obligated to compete for the sake of people on the internet.

No, but he has an obligation to his Fed and his own career/job. I mean, why else is he receiving funding, so he can pull out of a competition because he doesn't like his placement? I'm not a huge fan of Reynolds like everyone else here. I don't care if he competes or not but an an objective party here I am offering my input.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Then what do you think? I'd want to understand how you are okay with him withdrawing from competition for no valid reason.

He has not announced his reason yet, valid or not. Likely whatever caused his extremely poor SP performance will still be there to affect him the same way for the LP so there will be no redemption, nor reason to skate it.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He has not announced his reason yet, valid or not. Likely whatever caused his extremely poor SP performance will still be there to affect him the same way for the LP so there will be no redemption, nor reason to skate it.

That's what I was thinking. Didn't feel like writing it out. Such a yo-yo day (Up yo-yo cause of Jason Brown).

kresslia

Medalist
"all the other talented Canadians"? Seems like only two of them showed up...
Agreed, however I have to say I've been wondering about Kevin's future since even before this. Seeing as he seemingly already failed to make the World team here, it's only gonna get even harder. Patrick's coming back, Nam is surpassing Kevin quickly, and if we get 3 men back in the future, Kevin's basically going to be fighting for 3rd place.

But I don't think it's over for him. Less than a year ago he put up, what, 167 in the LP? He can come back. Take some time to get his crap together.

sses1

On the Ice

But Mao didn't given up after her SP in Sochi. There is nothing stopping him from competing except his own "sadness" which as an elite athlete shouldn't even be a variable. He should be able to rebound and the fact that he literally gave up just shows that he has no drive, i'm sorry but its embarrassing.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agreed, however I have to say I've been wondering about Kevin's future since even before this. Seeing as he seemingly already failed to make the World team here, it's only gonna get even harder. Patrick's coming back, Nam is surpassing Kevin quickly, and if we get 3 men back in the future, Kevin's basically going to be fighting for 3rd place.

But I don't think it's over for him. Less than a year ago he put up, what, 167 in the LP? He can come back. Take some time to get his crap together.

He has plenty of time to get valuable training time back and consistency back. I hope he get GP assignments next season.

Kevin could make a big comeback.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
If Kevin plans on continuing to the next Olympics, I guess now is the "best" time to deal with issues like these as he will still have time to adjust. I always thought that he should get a new coach, he spends too much time on the quads.

And I'm not particularly worried about Canadian men being down to 1 man for next year's WC. I think if Nam can land all his jumps, he can land in the top 10, I don't particularly enjoy his skating but he's got good support from his team.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
First time see Roman skating. He has star quality, good skating skills and performance skills. What's his jumping repertoire? any quads?

Krunchii

Record Breaker
First time see Roman skating. He has star quality, good skating skills and performance skills. What's his jumping repertoire? any quads?

His 3A isn't even consistent yet but he is still young, only 15, got plenty of time, I'm looking forward to his development

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
No, but he has an obligation to his Fed and his own career/job. I mean, why else is he receiving funding, so he can pull out of a competition because he doesn't like his placement? I'm not a huge fan of Reynolds like everyone else here. I don't care if he competes or not but an an objective party here I am offering my input.
How do you know why he pulled out? "Because he didn't like his placement" is your speculation, not hard fact.

If that is his reason for pulling out, then it's up to Skate Canada to cut his funding or handle it however they wish. I, as a simple observer, do not feel I'm in a position to pass judgement on him.

I like him, I wished things turned out better for him, but I dunno if I'd call myself a "huge fan" of Kevin Reynolds. :scratch:

All true. It will be tough for him. He could still get that third spot in the coming years if he gets his act together, but... well, he can't keep having disasters.

apple123

On the Ice
Regards Kevin, it's all in his head. I think the boots issue is 99% psychological. It may start with physical fitting problem, but when you change hundreds of boots in two years, it went way beyond that. There is no chance of him back to peak form until he sorts out his head. Just my cents.