2015 Championnats québécois d'été Aug 6-9 Summer Champ | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2015 Championnats québécois d'été Aug 6-9 Summer Champ

colleen o'neill

Medalist
True, but they don't bring much variety. That FD could be an extension of the FD. It reminds me of Klimova and P.'s choreo from OG 1992.

I completely and utterly take back what I said abut Zueva. Watching FB/S was like experiencing deja vu. Come on guys :confused:

I don't find H/D's choreo very reminiscent of K/P '92... are you sure it's not just the fluttery bits ? Madi's are obviously moth's wings (if she changed colour later,she could be a butterfly.. ;) )

FB/S..some attractive elements , but the schmaltz quotient was a bit high for me. I hoped for something more... or maybe I mean less.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I don't find H/D's choreo very reminiscent of K/P '92... are you sure it's not just the fluttery bits ? Madi's are obviously moth's wings (if she changed colour later,she could be a butterfly.. ;) )

FB/S..some attractive elements , but the schmaltz quotient was a bit high for me. I hoped for something more... or maybe I mean less.

I tried but I couldn't watch the program to the end :disapp: Why use that music? Why is almost every FD from the group so forlorn and gloomy and overly dramatic?

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Maybe some transitions remind of that FD, but the overall feel is different, more dramatic, whereas their Bohemian Rhapsody FD was more lyrical, gentler. And there are definitely some moves that are different from that FD. After all, both FDs don't have the same choreographers, so it would be strange if they really looked that similar.

It's just that Marie-France Dubreuil and the whole team seem to be good with a particular style that is flowing, smooth, lyrical and/or dramatic, maybe not always very original in terms of choreographic moves that are not elements (with a few exceptions), and the Bohemian Rhapsody FD was done in the same vein. I would like to see something light, fun and maybe just a little quirky from this coaching/choreographing team for a change. Otherwise almost all their teams FDs from this and the previous season feel a bit similar, even though they do contain different moves and elements apart from the many similar transitional moves. While Beaudry/Sorensen's FD is at least different from their previous season's FD, Paradis/Ouellette's FD seems a bit too close to their previous FD in style upon first watch, the only difference being that it doesn't have the same emotional impact on me (at least yet).

Yes, I agree with a lot of this (and your previous post too). Paradis/Ouellette look like they're chasing the same dream. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I never know how I feel about it as a tactic - I'm always a bit torn. They're smooth, no doubt, but they'll have to go some to equal last year's attention grabber.

I never worry too much,if a couple looks a bit slow or rushed at this time of year (That is, for couples whose capabilities I'm confident of)..So ,I'm sure H/D and P/I will be on top of their material in a month or two(my opinion of what P/I's SD could be has only grown with a couple of re-watches... But I'm sincerely hoping P/I don't wind up with a program reminiscent of the one D&L gave them to begin last season. :slink: Seriously, I hope that's a joke.

And I hope they haven't coincidentally decided to go "moderne" ;) I don't think we know what their FD music is yet, do we ? ...I might have missed it, since I'm juggling 2 internet obsessions.. Frustrating as it is to me, I do agree with holding back information as long as possible as a tactic.

I hope we'll be seeing them at one of the Sr.Bs

(now I'm curious to see the reveal of Orford/Hill next week.)

Last edited:

bramweld

Record Breaker
Yes, I agree with a lot of this (and your previous post too). Paradis/Ouellette look like they're chasing the same dream. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I never know how I feel about it as a tactic - I'm always a bit torn. They're smooth, no doubt, but they'll have to go some to equal last year's attention grabber.

I never worry too much,if a couple looks a bit slow or rushed at this time of year (That is, for couples whose capabilities I'm confident of)..So ,I'm sure H/D and P/I will be on top of their material in a month or two(my opinion of what P/I's SD could be has only grown with a couple of re-watches... But I'm sincerely hoping P/I don't wind up with a program reminiscent of the one D&L gave them to begin last season. :slink: Seriously, I hope that's a joke.

And I hope they haven't coincidentally decided to go "moderne" ;) I don't think we know what their FD music is yet, do we ? ...I might have missed it, since I'm juggling 2 internet obsessions.. Frustrating as it is to me, I do agree with holding back information as long as possible as a tactic.

I hope we'll be seeing them at one of the Sr.Bs

(now I'm curious to see the reveal of Orford/Hill next week.)

Where? Has anyone got video of G/P? Please and thank you :biggrin:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well I've watched all the posted videos and frankly I'm bored out of my freaking mind. Bored Bored Bored. The ONLY thing that made ANY impression whatsoever was Hubbell's idiotic moth wings, because I spent the entire program thinking, why doesn't someone tell her how DISTRACTING and STUPID they look???

Yes kids, it's the SOMINEX SCHOOL of Ice Dance. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Where? Has anyone got video of G/P? Please and thank you :biggrin:

At Thornhill.. Piper and Paul will do FD only ... Nicole and Asher SD only (I think Mark Pillay is setting their FD)

But Poulin /Servant and Firus/Collins are listed for both...

This was the last info I read...

Gitisha

Spectator
Incorrect. Piper and Paul will do SD only, Nicole and Asher will do SD, choreo Lane/Razgulajevs, and FD, choreo Wing and Lowe.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Well I've watched all the posted videos and frankly I'm bored out of my freaking mind. Bored Bored Bored. The ONLY thing that made ANY impression whatsoever was Hubbell's idiotic moth wings, because I spent the entire program thinking, why doesn't someone tell her how DISTRACTING and STUPID they look???

Yes kids, it's the SOMINEX SCHOOL of Ice Dance. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........

Trust me WeaKAnkles if H/D were to get a clue as to how to interpret their dance; edgy rather than lyrical, they'd have a great program. If you listen to the music carefully that dance should feel like an updated version of the Matrix. But everyone wants to be the next P/C, while P/C hopefully are off looking for new original material :confused2:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Trust me WeaKAnkles if H/D were to get a clue as to how to interpret their dance; edgy rather than lyrical, they'd have a great program. If you listen to the music carefully that dance should feel like an updated version of the Matrix. But everyone wants to be the next P/C, while P/C hopefully are off looking for new original material :confused2:

Ayup. It's DAFT PUNK, for heaven's sake. DAFT PUNK. Why are they trying to turn it into a gavotte? With some frigging STUPID concept about "oh she's a moth but really she's a bwutiful buddefwy." Why? why? why?

Tobias and Tkachenko (I cannot spell his name!)--now their FD is absolute CRACKPOT and I love every single nonsensical moment of it. The costumes alone are just BEYOND anything resembling reason. That Tobias--she never disappoints. Girl's got enough chutzpah for an entire continent. :)

I was saying to a friend of mine who is not on this board but follows ice dance (she's a fan; I'm a fanatic--lol!), we're going to be bored to death next season with lyricism. Did it ever occur to any of these people that one of the reasons that P/C was such a big surprise last year is because Mozartian moderne lyricism was out of left field for them? As in, who knew they could skate that style? Not, well gosh a team did well with it last year so I'm going to do it THIS year. And why do coaches think that is a successful strategy? Why? Just askin'..

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Incorrect. Piper and Paul will do SD only, Nicole and Asher will do SD, choreo Lane/Razgulajevs, and FD, choreo Wing and Lowe.

I think you may be thinking of Carol Lane's So you think you can judge club show/event (also held at Thornhill).. Here's the link to the final entry list http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com/Irma/Summer Skate 2015/Final Entry List.pdf

and at the bottom you find..

Senior (Free) Dance Shane Firus Mariposa School of Skating Lauren Collins
Senior (Free) Dance Paul Poirier Scarboro FSC Piper Gilles
Senior (Free) Dance Danny Seymour Kincardine SC Jocelyn LeBlanc
Senior (Free) Dance Andréanne Poulin Club De Patinage Des Deux-Rives Marc-Andre Servant

and...

Senior (Short) Dance Andréanne Poulin Club De Patinage Des Deux-Rives Marc-Andre Servant
Senior (Short) Dance Asher Hill Scarboro FSC Nicole Orford
Senior (Short) Dance Danny Seymour Kincardine SC Jocelyn LeBlanc
Senior (Short) Dance Paul Poirier Scarboro FSC Piper Gilles
Senior (Short) Dance Shane Firus Mariposa School of Skating Lauren Collins

...a-a-and now it appears Piper and Paul are slated for both.. :)

Last edited:

bramweld

Record Breaker
Ayup. It's DAFT PUNK, for heaven's sake. DAFT PUNK. Why are they trying to turn it into a gavotte? With some frigging STUPID concept about "oh she's a moth but really she's a bwutiful buddefwy." Why? why? why?

Tobias and Tkachenko (I cannot spell his name!)--now their FD is absolute CRACKPOT and I love every single nonsensical moment of it. The costumes alone are just BEYOND anything resembling reason. That Tobias--she never disappoints. Girl's got enough chutzpah for an entire continent. :)

I was saying to a friend of mine who is not on this board but follows ice dance (she's a fan; I'm a fanatic--lol!), we're going to be bored to death next season with lyricism. Did it ever occur to any of these people that one of the reasons that P/C was such a big surprise last year is because Mozartian moderne lyricism was out of left field for them? As in, who knew they could skate that style? Not, well gosh a team did well with it last year so I'm going to do it THIS year. And why do coaches think that is a successful strategy? Why? Just askin'..

This is where I'm at with T/T, just can't deal with Tobias's charm just yet. But who knows maybe they will grow on me..

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I can't wait to see the boredom. I've not so accidently slept through FD :biggrin: Maybe it's for the best after all. Feedback in this thread is amazing :laugh:

So true!!! Haha, I admire the spunk of Tobias. I also appreciate not being bored by their FD.

Exactly!!! P/C wowed with that FD and did so well with it because it showed that they have range; and they sold it. It wasn't the program alone that made it a winning/medal contending program. A lot of it was them and their previous program history.

I feel like the Gadbois choreo has had the same style for a bit now; and I'm not surprised to see more of the same this season from them. The fact of the matter is, P/C's FD last year is very much in line with Marie-France's style. It was the team performing it (who'd never performed it before) that made it unique. Anyways, I'll be curious to see how the choreo from other teams stacks up in comparison. And! I'll be hoping that P/C maintain their individual flair. :)

Layback11

Record Breaker
Updated the OPs in fan fests for skaters whose FFs I started (P/O and FB/S). Trying to get the other programs for FFs I didn't start at least in a regular post so they're there if anyone wants them.

Also, did I miss something? Was Madi going BASE jumping (you know, with the winged bodysuit) right after the FD and didn't have time to change, so she wore her suit to the FD? Huh? Did she? :laugh2:

I'd honestly love to see that interpreted in a program (BASE jumping, that is) :laugh2:

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The worst thing about that H&D FD is that they are not even the first team doing a butterfly costume program skated to a movie soundtrack that evokes anything but thoughts of butterflies. Am I the only person who remembers Faiella and Scali's Yentl Butterflies FD?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ilAMFDiZj4M

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
The worst thing about that H&D FD is that they are not even the first team doing a butterfly costume program skated to a movie soundtrack that evokes anything but thoughts of butterflies. Am I the only person who remembers Faiella and Scali's Yentl Butterflies FD?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ilAMFDiZj4M

Well, if you're gonna go for 'pretentious artiness...'

Actually what I thought watching it was someone saying, "When I said you were gonna fall on your uhm buttocks [PC acceptable substitution] with this program and that costume, I didn't mean to take me literally..."

;)

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Regarding comments about whether H/D's SD doesn't meet the criteria, Lynn Rutherford tweeted that Halina Gordon-Poltorak, chair of the ISU Dance Technical Committee, is in Quebec and has been monitoring Dubreuil/Lauzon's teams. So it's very possible that the ISU is on board with a waltz that's not really a waltz.

(I do have to say that personally, the idea of a 6/8 song being used for a waltz just seems...so wrong.)

SHA

Rinkside
Is that a service that the ISU provides for all the other coaches or exclusive to D/L's teams
Is their a time limit on monitoring and competing
very cool that D/l offered this service to their students

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There were critiques at LPIDC, and a full ISU tech panel, because of the international part of the event. AFAIR I remember, Gordon-Poltorak was there , because she was announced as one of the officials.