2015 Four Continents Practice reports | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2015 Four Continents Practice reports

s_parks

Record Breaker
Any news on how the other Chinese pairs are doing? Will P/Z or S/H try a quad throw?

P/Z are doing fine, from what I've seen/heard. S/H, not so much. It's seems to me (from the video I've seen) Sui doesn't seem to be adjusting to the ice well or something- she's having weird stumbles(on the 3FTh too!). The elements look good(entry, air position, etc) until she actually lands them. I mean, it's obviously not a mental thing since it was just practice. One of the Korean fans tweeted that they seemed to be having quite a bit of trouble at the 2nd practice. :/

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
P/Z are doing fine, from what I've seen/heard. S/H, not so much. It's seems to me (from the video I've seen) Sui doesn't seem to be adjusting to the ice well or something- she's having weird stumbles(on the 3FTh too!). The elements look good(entry, air position, etc) until she actually lands them. I mean, it's obviously not a mental thing since it was just practice. One of the Korean fans tweeted that they seemed to be having quite a bit of trouble at the 2nd practice. :/
Ouch. That doesn't seem like Sui. Maybe a few weird stumbles on the jumps here and there, but she hardly ever has trouble on throws... I hope she sorts it out by competition time.

Glad P/Z are doing okay. Now please, Cheng Peng, nail those jumps in competition... I know you can!

Meoima

Match Penalty
Well my 3 honies overall are Yuzuru, Jason, and Kevin. Jason will be there, but I'm not nervous for him...except for the 4T attempt.
Yeah, Jason is stable so I am not worried too much. I don't mind if he doesn't full rotate that 4T. If it's even 2 foot it's still okay since it's his first try anyway.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Ouch. That doesn't seem like Sui. Maybe a few weird stumbles on the jumps here and there, but she hardly ever has trouble on throws... I hope she sorts it out by competition time.

Glad P/Z are doing okay. Now please, Cheng Peng, nail those jumps in competition... I know you can!

I'll just comfort myself in the fact that when S/H did well at 4cc, they ended up doing not-so-well at worlds... If this doesn't turn out to be a good comp. for them, hopefully they can nail it at worlds in shanghai.
Sigh, Peng and Sui on those jumps... they definitely can do them. I was so baffled when Peng was going into a 3t at SA that looked good, then fell on it. It's a mental thing, I guess.

begin

Medalist
Some more videos from day 2 (and there should be more coming): https://www.youtube.com/user/heeyuhee/videos

and your point? neither of the 2 repo commented on nuanced/delicate choreo/skating, they are mainly about speed (and their disagreement is about that)... And are you sure Korean fans only care about speed and height, because, I think one of Yuna's strength is nuance and delicacy... speed/height is not the opposite of nuance/delicacy. you can have both...

That is the point. You can definitely have both qualities but for some reason a lot fans seem only to notice the former two qualities and they tend to use only those qualities as a measure of good skating. I'm not basing this on only two users--it's the same perception for a few other active korean fans on twitter. Satoko's been called '초딩' since her 3rd place finish in the GP (and they weren't just referring to her size). Again I stress, only some fans are thinking like this. It's just annoying for me because I want her to podium without seeing some nonsense about overscoring.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I don't know how to express it but whenever I see D/R I have the feeling this is a mismatched pair. They're good though.

ChristineChew

Rinkside
D/R has some hand-touch-downs on their jumps and throws. It seems that D/R always got their best condition around Nationals and then flipped somehow.
P/T does incredibly well including an OK sbs 3T. They are pretty ready for Worlds.
S/H, well...They always do their best at 4cc, but this time I'm afraid that they will suffer. Not only sbs, Sui even has a fall on throw 3F, which rarely happens among them.
For P/Z, their sbs are their long-run troubles. Peng still struggles with 3T-2T and 2A. She seems fine when doing separately, but still suffers when putting them together.

ChristineChew

Rinkside
Yeah, I think these young Chinese pairs desperately need some shining times in key competitions. It really means something beyond medal.
P/T has a 2010 Olympic and that's why they keep so long till now and even further to a large extent.
But both S/H and P/Z seems missing such chances.
Especially S/H, they clearly have this abilities, but just didn't leave their best time to worlds. What a pity.

begin

Medalist
Yeah, I think these young Chinese pairs desperately need some shining times in key competitions. It really means something beyond medal.
P/T has a 2010 Olympic and that's why they keep so long till now and even further to a large extent.
But both S/H and P/Z seems missing such chances.
Especially S/H, they clearly have this abilities, but just didn't leave their best time to worlds. What a pity.

I mean, the Chinese team are still quite young for pairs? They can still learn to peak properly over the next few seasons.

s_parks

Record Breaker
I mean, the Chinese team are still quite young for pairs? They can still learn to peak properly over the next few seasons.

The Chinese teams are pretty young, I agree with that. Both Y/J and S/H are young enough to compete in '26 olys, and W/W could probably make it to the '22 olympics as well. P/Z won't make it past pyeongchang, but they haven't lost any competing opportunities. Curious as to who'll pair up with Peng beyond 2018 though, since she's very young and could obviously compete well beyong 2018 olys.

MIM

Medalist
Omg! D10 and P/T are amazing! What a come back! I wish them the best of luck...

Are there any reports about Dylan and Luba? I appreciate all the updates and videos.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah, Jason is stable so I am not worried too much. I don't mind if he doesn't full rotate that 4T. If it's even 2 foot it's still okay since it's his first try anyway.

True, but I want his first experience to be full of success. When I first saw he was going to do a 4T, I was thinking, "Am I reading things correctly here?"

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
True, but I want his first experience to be full of success. When I first saw he was going to do a 4T, I was thinking, "Am I reading things correctly here?"

You obviously fell into the "is this a typo" thing Phil Hersh had going on for a while there. :laugh:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know how to express it but whenever I see D/R I have the feeling this is a mismatched pair. They're good though.

You expressed it well. I feel exactly the same, including your comment that they are good. Megan is strongly athletic, while Eric is strongly artistic. Tamara Moskvina made such a combination work beautifully with Ina/Zimmerman, but D/R don't seem to be making the contrast work for them IMO, so much as just duking it out on the ice!

I'm a newbie and I hope I didn't offend anyone. I read a comment a couple days ago from someone who said, "As a Canadian, I can't stand" D/R. So you're not alone. Apparently they're getting similar flack even from home.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You obviously fell into the "is this a typo" thing Phil Hersh had going on for a while there. :laugh:

I knew it couldn't be a 3T. Guys who are high competitive senior level don't do a 3T as a solo jump (USUALLY from what I've seen on protocols) unless it's a pop. I didn't think "Is this a typo." I thought, "Is this the right thing I'm seeing?" It's just surprising and all of the sudden.

Caustica

Final Flight
I knew it couldn't be a 3T. Guys who are high competitive senior level don't do a 3T as a solo jump (USUALLY from what I've seen on protocols) unless it's a pop. I didn't think "Is this a typo." I thought, "Is this the right thing I'm seeing?" It's just surprising and all of the sudden.

Well, it is not really sudden because it's been discussed on the Jason Brown thread for weeks. :laugh: