2015 Freezer Aerial FS Challenge, Jun25-26, new $30K jump comp | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2015 Freezer Aerial FS Challenge, Jun25-26, new $30K jump comp

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Backflip comp -- from @11apperera (huge THANKS to her/him):

Final standings:

"Ricky wins backflips! Yaay!!"
(Then Philip, then Caleigh.)

What happened:

The girl is from Centennial, CO. I have to root for her. Caleigh Newberry. Attempt and fall. Attempt and good!
19 and 32 for Caleigh. Go Ricky!!

Ricky: Nice on the first! And the second! Goofs off after. Again, love that he is a physics major. STEMmers unite! 39 and 44.

Phillip: Great first! Then for second, side flip, then back attempt... Didn't work. Redo. Did the crazy one right this time!

I hope Stitch had a great time!

Video of Tim Dolensky at Freezer -- from TSL Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/TheSkatingLesson/videos/725142580941046/

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did Mariah Bell attempt a 3a. I thought her harness video looked good and she said she tried them off but still. Let me gush if it's so:eek::

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, triple Axel was required for the ladies in the bonus round. See above.

Thx. I have a social thing going down and am just getting bits and pieces....still....it's pretty cool. Actually...it's a bonus aspect of this competition I was unaware of that can really benefit the skaters in the long run. That level of required difficulty and all:thumbsup:

I hope she can move up and challenge for that 3rd spot. She's like Thumper. Everyone likes Thumper:)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
General rules question, Will Alexei's 4L be 'officially' added to the record books (is there such a thing?) even though it was UR?

He's only 15 so I'm sure he'll get it ratified at some point in his career.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
General rules question, Will Alexei's 4L be 'officially' added to the record books (is there such a thing?) even though it was UR?

I don't think this was an ISU sanctioned event. I don't even think they were IJS judges. Still....I don't want to take any cheering away. Just saying.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I don't think this was an ISU sanctioned event. I don't even think they were IJS judges. Still....I don't want to take any cheering away. Just saying.

Based on YouTube footage of a USFS-sanctioned event, the ISU recognized Brandon Mroz's first-ever quad lutz.

(It was the 2011 Colorado Springs Invitational. I was wrong earlier when I said Colorado Championships.)

And the Freezer Challenge was a USFS-sanctioned event.

But .... as you say, the Freezer judges were unorthodox. As was the judging system. So Mroz's situation is not analogous for those reasons.

Last edited:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker

I think it was judged by former skaters? I forgot who, but they were former WC's... :shrug:

Props to all the skaters who went for it! No guts no glory! :points:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think it was judged by former skaters? I forgot who, but they were former WC's... :shrug:

Props to all the skaters who went for it! No guts no glory! :points:

The Freezer judges were Meissner, Flatt, and Weiss.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have a question. Where is Stitchmonkey? Isn't she there?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I have a question. Where is Stitchmonkey? Isn't she there?

I hope she and her man are at the after-party .... which did not seem to require an invitation. The party was mentioned openly on public social media accounts of official organizers such as TZ.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No matter all the internet drama......this seemed like a very good event. I hope it continues to grow.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Suuuper impressed by Max and Alexei...but in the facebook video of his 4Lo...did it look a bit hooky to anyone?

It did look a little dubious, I would like to see better angles/slomos/replays.

The thing I immediately noticed with Max's 4S-1Lo-3S was that it looked much more in control, his ankles were together, he was straighter in the air. All that work with Phillip is paying off!

It is exciting to see him try it but I really, really hope he doesn't get it ratified and I hope USFS do not go on a lobbying spree like they did for Brandon Mroz's 4Lz. To me the ratification of Mroz's 4Lz was unacceptable and so would this. The ONLY place a jump should be ratified is at an ISU Senior competition. It should not be allowed at the club competition level and it most definitely should not be allowed in a jumps-only contest like this.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
It did look a little dubious, I would like to see better angles/slomos/replays.

The thing I immediately noticed with Max's 4S-1Lo-3S was that it looked much more in control, his ankles were together, he was straighter in the air. All that work with Phillip is paying off!

It is exciting to see him try it but I really, really hope he doesn't get it ratified and I hope USFS do not go on a lobbying spree like they did for Brandon Mroz's 4Lz. To me the ratification of Mroz's 4Lz was unacceptable and so would this. The ONLY place a jump should be ratified is at an ISU Senior competition. It should not be allowed at the club competition level and it most definitely should not be allowed in a jumps-only contest like this.

There's a good slomo now. Definitely UR. But good attempt.
https://www.facebook.com/figureskatingmag?fref=nf

Interspectator

Record Breaker
idk, that one looks borderline downgraded if not downgraded but what do i know :biggrin: btw for your question about richard, yes he has 2 GP assignments!! he will be at COC and NHK :cheer:

Could be. Wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. But it's aaalmost more than 180 degrees isn't it.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Could be. Wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. But it's aaalmost more than 180 degrees isn't it.

it is, but looking at the report seems like he landed many, and its still very impressive !
i didnt know about vivian before but she is interesting skater, has different style on her jumps, its like she is pausing time for like miliseconds and continues if that makes sense :laugh: and her tano variation is also very interesting, pulling her arm down as she starts going down instead of keeping it up all the way through, juniors will be excitiing next year, wont it

Interspectator

Record Breaker
it is, but looking at the report seems like he landed many, and its still very impressive !
i didnt know about vivian before but she is interesting skater, has different style on her jumps, its like she is pausing time for like miliseconds and continues if that makes sense :laugh: and her tano variation is also very interesting, pulling her arm down as she starts going down instead of keeping it up all the way through, juniors will be excitiing next year, wont it

It will!
I guess today wasn't a good jumping day for Jason. But I hope he can have his quad ready for the season in fall. Fingers crossed.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Freezer Aerial Figure Skating Challenge has an X Games appeal (post-competition article)

Quotes from Max and Vivian.
Photos of Vivian and Amber.

Excerpt:

... "This kind of competition really pushes all of us to get better at jumps," said inaugural champion Max Aaron, who edged 15-year-old Aleksei Krasnozhon, in the bonus round. "It was great to see the younger skater emerge like they did and really push us. I think it was a great learning experience for me and will give more confidence I can land more quads (quadruple jumps) in competition." ....

It left Aaron exhausted but exuberant about the future of his sport.

"Everyone sees figure skating as an individual sport but I see it as a team sport," he said. "We all need to push each other every time out so one of us gets that (Olympic) gold medal. That's what we're all working toward."

ETA, question for STITCH re Freezer rules:

Did Michael Buckley or any other announcer-type person explain why Vivian, Polina, Jason, and Max were given byes to the second round?

I glanced back at the published rules and did not see any explanation.

Jason is the senior national champion, and Max and Polina are 2015 senior pewter medalists.

Vivian won the 2015 junior bronze medal in Greensboro, and Aleksei won the 2015 junior pewter.
So was Aleksei entitled to a bye too -- but maybe he waived the bye?? :confused2:​

Last edited: