2015 JGP Colorado Springs Ladies SP Sep 4 | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2015 JGP Colorado Springs Ladies SP Sep 4

Layback11

Record Breaker
I was impressed with Paige Rydberg. She has speed and strong jumps and good spins. If she skates well tomorrow she should get a 2nd JGP event. Nina has potential too and is only 13 and can only get better. With her last name i was expecting some white french canadian girl. lol

:yay: That's my girl...you go get yourself some fans! #Werk Also, just wait for the free...her free skate is PERFECT :love:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Just catching up right now but wow I'm so happy for Main, congrats to her on a great debut, her skating is just lovely, her running edge out of her jumps are fantastic, especially on the 3-3 and that final 3F, I hope she wins

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Marin Honda showed great improvement from Asian Trophy. Her non-jumping elements are the most pleasant to watch among all young Japanese skaters. Her jumps today are surprisingly great. Hope she keeps it up tomorrow. But I do think LP is quite unpredictable at this moment.

Violetti

On the Ice
Did anyone else got the feeling Anni Järvenpää resembles Kiira Korpi somewhat? Her hair, her dress and her skating style. Her coach is the same as Kiira's was in Finland.

sbaker

On the Ice
I really enjoyed Marin's sweet program. I'm excited to see how she portrays Beetlejuice tomorrow! I liked Paige, but I think I'd like her a whole lot more if she burned that costume. It's my least favorite so far this season. I am rooting for Vivian to come back fighting in the long. I'd like to see her perform that program to its full potential.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Did anyone else got the feeling Anni Järvenpää resembles Kiira Korpi somewhat? Her hair, her dress and her skating style. Her coach is the same as Kiira's was in Finland.

yup! and she sorta emits the same aura of elegance as her. a lovely surprise here

FSGMT

Record Breaker
May I say what a horribly judged competition? Vivian receiving the highest PCS? Mikhailova 4 whole points behind in the second mark and her combo UR? Galutsyan receiving practically no.credit for anything she did while she skated better than most of the ones that are ahead of her? :eek: (I'm not particularly in favor of any of these girls, I just want to express how my naked-eye impressions completely disagree with the actual scores)

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
May I say what a horribly judged competition? Vivian receiving the highest PCS? Mikhailova 4 whole points behind in the second mark and her combo UR? Galutsyan receiving practically no.credit for anything she did while she skated better than most of the ones that are ahead of her? :eek: (I'm not particularly in favor of any of these girls, I just want to express how my naked-eye impressions completely disagree with the actual scores)

I thought Amy Lin should have won the PCS marks in all categories. Her program was the most dynamic and she skated it with conviction. The only error I saw was a popped 2a but she was able to continue the choreo unaffected. Her movements aren't just soft and pretty nor are they pure attack.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
my thoughts exactly
& I was rooting for all the above :disapp:
total BS methinks esp this Viv gal (nothing personal) Now Im tempted to root against her.:slink:

besides them liked Katia, Marin, Nina, Amy Lin :love: Slumdog program didnt disappoint! More Bollywood pls!
good thing our Fed didnt send anyone of note btw

noidont

Final Flight
Almost everyone should get a point higher PCS whereas the USA girls a point lower. Le didn't skate her program very well. Rydberg's program is awful. No way she should be second. I like Yuna Shiraiwa a lot.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Weird judging. And the biggest victims are Galustyan and Mikhailova. What a big demotivation for Anastasia - she invested in the image, skated to another Anastasia, was well connected to the music, did not make any visible mistakes and 46!? There is the risk she may quit after that - both she and the coach were very depressed by the score. 50 for Mikhailova is very harsh as well. Then there are Mitrofanova, Rydberg, and Honda. I agree with there relative placement but I would add 3-4 points to each of them. And Vivian Le. Here I would agree with her absolute score but not with relative to the others. Huge 3Lz, fast speed and rotations. OK. But empty choreo, weird arm movements, mistake on the flip. Kind of home favoritism.

Having Tsurskaya, Sotskova, and Honda competiting side by side in the JGPF will be very big fun to watch. They all are so different yet so good each in their own sense. I had and still have (unless see something new) quite a low opinion about Wakaba's competitiveness against the top Russians and explained many times why. But Marin in her SP was a very different thing - speed is here as well. But it comes with a complete package.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Looking at the protocols, Anastasia got called for URs on both jumps on her combo, got an ! on her flip, and a ur on her double axel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phyX89wbTVk

That many tech calls tends to make judges stingy with the PCS, as both Caroline Zhang and Mirai Nagasu have found.

On replay, you can see the hook after landing of both jumps in the combo, and that the flip took off on a flat. The 2A was not replayed, but you could see a hitch of some sort in the landing.

I would have given her somewhat higher PCS, I think.

Michaelova had an obvious flutz on her combo, and a UR on the 3t. On replay, the flutz was a little short of rotation as well. The flip didn't get as many points as it might because of a foot touchdown. Again, I would have her PCS scores somewhat higher.

In retrospect, a lot of these youngsters suffered from skating after Paige Rydberg, who skated in the first warmup group.

Unlike most competitions these days, the commentator Ted Barton, is viewing the competition live. Note how he mentions Paige's speed, acceleration, and the size of her jumps. And the speed of rotation and centering of her spins is excellent too. Everyone else looked smaller, slower, a little less impressive athletically than Paige. Mitrofanova actually benefited from skating before Paige. I would have her PCS a bit lower compared to the field- Slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIsBjvDzzTQ

Yeah, Paige had an ugly costume.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I think, Honda was very fast. And for me her 4 point lead is more or less fair. I would just give her 64 and Paige and Mitrofanova 61. Now Polina has a solid SP score lead over Maria and Marin. May be I am a bit partial toward Russian ladies at times but I do not see Tsurskaya as a superior skater when compared to Sotskova and Honda to justify such a lead.

As for Galustyan may be adding up numbers gives the actual result (it just cannot be otherwise). But impression wise it was much better than 46 point skating. I do feel for her.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, I feel for Anastasia too. That skate would have placed her much higher in 6.0 days, IMO.

May she have a really great (and high scoring) FS!

I am fine with Honda's lead, but her skating does not thrill me for whatever reason. :shrug: probably because her step sequence just crawled; she has speed doing crossovers, but not while doing the complex turns of a step sequence. I did not care for her final spin at all. And did not like the first spin very much. She has pretty arms, nice facial expressions, good jumps, and a cute outfit. And the skating is kind of empty for me, but she does have lots of promise.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Weird judging. And the biggest victims are Galustyan and Mikhailova. What a big demotivation for Anastasia - she invested in the image, skated to another Anastasia, was well connected to the music, did not make any visible mistakes and 46!? There is the risk she may quit after that - both she and the coach were very depressed by the score. 50 for Mikhailova is very harsh as well. Then there are Mitrofanova, Rydberg, and Honda. I agree with there relative placement but I would add 3-4 points to each of them. And Vivian Le. Here I would agree with her absolute score but not with relative to the others. Huge 3Lz, fast speed and rotations. OK. But empty choreo, weird arm movements, mistake on the flip. Kind of home favoritism.

Having Tsurskaya, Sotskova, and Honda competiting side by side in the JGPF will be very big fun to watch. They all are so different yet so good each in their own sense. I had and still have (unless see something new) quite a low opinion about Wakaba's competitiveness against the top Russians and explained many times why. But Marin in her SP was a very different thing - speed is here as well. But it comes with a complete package.

I think Kalani Crane was also horribly underscored. I get that she had URs and the mistake on the flip, but 42 points? Gimme a break. The program was well presented, her spins were good, and she actually landed that combo well. I thought she and Anatasia both should have gotten 50 points at least.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Is any other ladie capable of doing a 3lo-3t? I can't remember right now, but Marin is the probably the first skater to jump all 5 kinds of triples + triple toe in competitions.

Yulia did one at GPF (?) practice once and I remember calculating that at the halfway bonus it's worth as much as a 3Z-3T. Does anyone know if the base value changes would have affected that?

Edit: I guess not since only the triple toes went up.

I really liked Paige's skate and was surprised (glad) to see that she was in second. And I liked the costume. :slink:

Last edited:

Leonardo

Final Flight
I think, Honda was very fast. And for me her 4 point lead is more or less fair. I would just give her 64 and Paige and Mitrofanova 61. Now Polina has a solid SP score lead over Maria and Marin. May be I am a bit partial toward Russian ladies at times but I do not see Tsurskaya as a superior skater when compared to Sotskova and Honda to justify such a lead.

As for Galustyan may be adding up numbers gives the actual result (it just cannot be otherwise). But impression wise it was much better than 46 point skating. I do feel for her.

Totally agree with every point. Marin's lead, however, was 2.37, not 4 points, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Leonardo

Final Flight
Yes, I feel for Anastasia too. That skate would have placed her much higher in 6.0 days, IMO.

May she have a really great (and high scoring) FS!

I am fine with Honda's lead, but her skating does not thrill me for whatever reason. :shrug: probably because her step sequence just crawled; she has speed doing crossovers, but not while doing the complex turns of a step sequence. I did not care for her final spin at all. And did not like the first spin very much. She has pretty arms, nice facial expressions, good jumps, and a cute outfit. And the skating is kind of empty for me, but she does have lots of promise.

I get you, but I also believe that Marin is not only a pretty skater with pretty arms, facial expressions, jumps and outfit, she has very good knee bend, polished posture, and very nice flow. But agree, her program is still a little empty, and those turns (except the beautiful layback) really need some improvement.

gotoschool

Medalist

I agree with most of what you say because I think Marin should have at least a 4 point lead, but she only has 2.7 as Leonardo said. I also agree that Polina should not have a higher SP score than Maria or Marin. I found Maria and Marin to both be more musical and honestly more elegant than Polina with better spins and more picturesque positions, though I know Polina does have big jumps and power. In terms of favorites, I like Marin's SP the best because I think she has the best flair in terms of expression with her arms, her grace of exit and erect posture on jumps and her fluid motion but Maria's SP is close for me. I think Polina is good; I just prefer Maria's SP and Marin's SP even more.

I also agree that Gulausyan's SP seemed better than 46.

I honestly think Vivian Le got a high PCS score because of her speed and attack, which is impressive. To me, she seemed the fastest, but I think Marin should have gotten the highest PCS for her overall performance and I don't think straight line speed always translates into the best skating skills. Though I think speed is important, it seems that if often takes precedent over intricate transitions, swaying from blade to blade, one foot and backward skating, and making smooth arcs in the ice as Marin did exiting her arabesque before her final camel and donut spin. Still, I like Vivan's skating a lot.

Last edited:

sbaker

On the Ice
gotoschool;1215907I honestly think Vivian Le got a high PCS score because of her speed and attack said:
This is an interesting point. I feel like PCS are so selective. So frustrating. If speed always translated to good scores, then you'd think Courtney Hicks would receive higher PCS. I do wish they were scored more independently of TES, but judges are human and a clean skate must leave a better impression.

Ah PCS, the unsolvable rubik's cube of figure skating.

ETA: I just got even more frustrated, because I started thinking about how when a well known skater doesn't do well technically, they seem held up by PCS. Like Gracie Gold, for instance. It kills me that good SS seem only rewarded to Fed favorites, while someone like Anastasia goes unrecognized. End rant.

Last edited: