2015 JGP J&T Banka Aug 20 Ladies Short Program | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2015 JGP J&T Banka Aug 20 Ladies Short Program

Meoima

Match Penalty
Anyone has information about Vivian Le? I like the girl. She reminds me of young Yuna Kim.

NaVi

Medalist
Anyone has information about Vivian Le? I like the girl. She reminds me of young Yuna Kim.

I've been binge watching all the top(6-10) ladies world's/olympic's performances from the 80's to today during the past week... and if anything she's a young Elena Liashenko.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've been binge watching all the top(6-10) ladies world's/olympic's performances from the 80's to today during the past week... and if anything she's a young Elena Liashenko.

That's a very obscure and hipster'ish reference. :points: Points for you my friend :points:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think her jumps, especially the 3lz3T...reminds me of Yuna Kim.

gotoschool

Medalist
Thank you! I think this one's my new favorite. Or at least pretty close to Polina.

Vivan Le has my favorite SP. Great spins with good speed and beautiful positions (the flying sit spin was fabulous and the position on the Biellmann was really nice), surprisingly big smooth jumps (the 3Ltz / 3T was fabulous), fluid movement and very good skating skills. I thought Polina skated really well also.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

She won the Broadmoor Open jump event over Mirai and Mariah in June. There might be come videos of her on the old Facebook page. She was impressive and she was smiling having a great time the entire time - even during the fall on the 3A for the heck of it round. I am rather glad she is doing well after it. Even if the even had nothing to do with it, I think it will be good for the jump event to see the winner go on to have more success. It helps it to be seen as less of a novelty I think. Also, maybe seeing it give Vivian a boost maybe it will have more interest next year.

invisiblespiral

Thank you for your stats. I do enjoy them even if i don't have much to respond with beyond basically "ohhhh pretty!" Though it was interesting to see Emily's name up there a few times, seems the international judges are enjoying her beauty. Crazy to think she was a Novice mostly skating for fun last year.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Vivian just turned 15, too late to be eligible for senior internationals.

She was very impressive in her first international event, and seemed to be having a great time. I hope she can do as well in her FS.

I was a little surprised to see Polina Tsurskaya. I was expecting to see another tiny little Russian beauty, instead here is this tall, exotic-looking person. She looks a bit like 1960's opera singer Maria Callas and has the imperious bearing to go with the look.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Take a look at Maria Sotskova next to all the American skaters. Take note she isn't even on skates . She's no tiny Russian herself but she should be highly competitive this year in abut way :)

https://instagram.com/p/5LF176DX2K/

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When Sotskova made her JGP debut, she was tiny. She's grown since then. She is conventionally Russian-pretty, too.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
IN recap (no skater quotes -- just a recitation of scores, basically)

Le in striking distance of Tsurkaya at JGP Slovakia
Loboda, Drozd take slim lead over Parsons siblings at series opener

Anyone has information about Vivian Le? I like the girl...

She won the Broadmoor Open jump event over Mirai and Mariah in June. There might be come videos of her on the old Facebook page. She was impressive and she was smiling having a great time the entire time - even during the fall on the 3A for the heck of it round. I am rather glad she is doing well after it. Even if the even had nothing to do with it, I think it will be good for the jump event to see the winner go on to have more success. It helps it to be seen as less of a novelty I think. Also, maybe seeing it give Vivian a boost maybe it will have more interest next year. ...

In addition to stuff about Vivian elsewhere, her bio on IN is a good starting point for getting to know her.

Among the links given in Vivian's IN bio are those to free videos (no IN subscription necessary) of her triple-triple-triple combination at the Freezer Challenge, as well as her free skates this year at Glacier Falls, where she was the junior ladies champ.
She also is shown in the Freezer highlights video, and her Glacier Falls SP is included within one of the Junior Ladies long videos of multiple skaters.

See also the article links in the bio.
For example, scroll down to the bottom of the Glacier Falls recap to read about Vivian:

BTW, a cool photo of Vivian's score on the Jumbotron -- courtesy of Vincent Zhou (who has been quite prolific with Bratislava pics)
govincentzhou
Congrats to @viviskates on a clean skate featuring a huge Rippon Lutz Triple Toe and lightning-fast spins for a total of 61.45!
https://instagram.com/p/6mrSsrOuE4

yyyskate

Record Breaker
what Vivian did is a Rippon 3Lutz-3Toe (rippon on the lutz), she just jumped so high and so sudden that the camera completely missed her Rippon arms.:biggrin:

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Polina T was not what I was expecting, very tall with a mature and sophisticated style, a well deserved lead. I also liked Le and Mihara, I would have Mikhailova closer to 3rd I think she was marked a little hard and she a little bit further ahead of Chan. Chan was very nice and pleasing but the jumps weren't there.

I was also impressed with the skater from Moldova, she got called for under rotations but she had a nice flow and speed about the ice. Nice to Kyrgyzstan (would recommend it for a visit), Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan being represented.

Russia, Japan and the US have the top 6 places, I don't see that changing after the free skate.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Vivian's movement is not as fluid as some other girls. I think she can definitely work on that in the future. But I really love watching her SP. such a bundle of joy. She smiles although it feels like her coach told her to smile here and there and then she did it:biggrin:. Nonetheless, that smile is infectious.:love:

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
I was very impressed by the overall quality of every skate! Comparing these SPs to those at last years first event, Courchevel, there's a huge difference. Lots of triples, fast spins and connecting elements, and not nearly as many falls. Congrats to all the girls on a job well done!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Being a big Tsurskaya's fan (who has BTW just discovered that her surname is with two s :biggrin: ) I was not that impressed by her debut: after watching it, I actually thought she would be behind Vivian! The program on the whole didn't seem to work for me, maybe because I was expecting something classical and instead I found a flamenco, but also because for me she didn't show any understanding of the music, nor any clear attempt to relate her movements to it :eek:hwell: Her flip looked iffy, too, so I was quite surprised when I saw that it received even some +2s. Anyway, good for her :dance:

Sabine

On the Ice
Kim Cheremsky speaks perfect English, because she lives in the US, practising at Hackensack. The years before she was competing for Israel.

Pika

Final Flight
what Vivian did is a Rippon 3Lutz-3Toe (rippon on the lutz), she just jumped so high and so sudden that the camera completely missed her Rippon arms.:biggrin:

You know what ? I spent the whole day wondering about this. At first sight, during the program, I was just amazed because I had seen a huge Rippon 3lz in combination, I was just saying "How is this possible ?!" But rewatching the program, I started to doubt because she went out of the screen and I wasn't convinced she did a Rippon.

Thanks for confirming I'm not crazy ! :laugh:

gkelly

Record Breaker
I'm bored. Anyone want me to pull out some random factoids from the protocols?

Highest single component mark was 8.00 for Skating Skills to Le from Judge 8.

Lowest component mark was 1.75 for Performance/Execution to both Tokhirova and Shibata also from Judge 8, and to Shibata from Judge 4 as well.

Widest spread between highest and lowest component for the same skater from the same judge was 7.00 for Skating Skills and 5.00 for Transitions to Le from Judge 9 (difference 2.00).

Judge 9 also had differences of 1.75 for three other skaters or 1.5 for four skaters.

So did Judge 8.

Both of them also had several gaps of 1.00 or 1.25, and other judges had a few of those as well.

I.e., this panel, especially judges 8 and 9, were more inclined to spread their marks than many.

Of course the averaging flattens out those gaps in the final scores.