2015 Nebelhorn Trophy General Chat | Page 71 | Golden Skate

2015 Nebelhorn Trophy General Chat

mrrice

Record Breaker
haha not to kill your fun darlings... but Canada is a very big country.... and immigration is varied in its very different regions.... there's not really a "canadian accent" there are SEVERAL ;) you can't compare people from Newfoundland to Alberta etc etc... even from town to town... people in Montreal do not speak French the same way as people in Quebec city.. and these towns are only 2 hours apart in car... ;) it is indeed a country with a lot of diversity

4everchan, I have a question for you. When we were in Canada we all loved eating Poutine Fries. They we like US fries but they had gravy and cheese curds on them. We always asked for an order of Poutine's. We were told by some people that we should ask for poutine without the plural of the 's. Which is correct?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thank you, karne. I've been avoiding the video thread because the links are ordered by the results. But, once I get the competitions finished, I'll be straight in there.

By the way, thank you for the PBP's for the Men's FS. The comments you made were very witty, and really added to the enjoyment! They were a real tonic for somebody who was getting very angry with their browser constantly crashing!

Perhaps we should make all competitions take place at 3am Aussie time...!

Nooooo, you want to kill me? I was wiped out for the whole rest of Saturday and struggled to get up on Sunday, too! :no: ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
a poutine is the dish as a whole... like let's say a soup... so you would have an order of soup... or an order of poutine... we don't call it poutine fries either.. just poutine... the only way you would use plural is if you crew would all want one and said.... we want 4 poutines...

damn now i am hungry... i hope you had those in quebec has there's nowhere else really where they make it perfectly right... (the issue is the cheese.. you need fresh curds to make poutine and when I lived in vancouver, those curds were refrigerated, therefore would harden).

a comment for you... Canadians often say EH? after the end of a question...... so maybe that's what you heard in the AH version :) like

this poutine is really good, eh?

4everchan, I have a question for you. When we were in Canada we all loved eating Poutine Fries. They we like US fries but they had gravy and cheese curds on them. We always asked for an order of Poutine's. We were told by some people that we should ask for poutine without the plural of the 's. Which is correct?

mrrice

Record Breaker
a poutine is the dish as a whole... like let's say a soup... so you would have an order of soup... or an order of poutine... we don't call it poutine fries either.. just poutine... the only way you would use plural is if you crew would all want one and said.... we want 4 poutines...

damn now i am hungry... i hope you had those in quebec has there's nowhere else really where they make it perfectly right... (the issue is the cheese.. you need fresh curds to make poutine and when I lived in vancouver, those curds were refrigerated, therefore would harden).

a comment for you... Canadians often say EH? after the end of a question...... so maybe that's what you heard in the AH version :) like

this poutine is really good, eh?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I really appreciate it.:bow: By the way, we had the best Poutine in Montreal. We had just finished a performance at an Amusement Park called La Ronde. (Or something close to that) Anyway, we went over a giant bridge into the city for dinner and that's where we had them for the first time. We ALL were immediately addicted and had them as much as we could for the rest of the tour.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i used to drive on that bridge daily.... it's callled Jacques-Cartier bridge and it is stunning... La Ronde, i haven't been in years... but yeah, it's fun... they have a fireworks festival during the summer there, and people go up on the bridge (which is closed for the event) and watch the fireworks from there... I live not far to there right now... it's a great city ;) i am going to watch the lunar eclipse over there now ;) cheers!
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I really appreciate it.:bow: By the way, we had the best Poutine in Montreal. We had just finished a performance at an Amusement Park called La Ronde. (Or something close to that) Anyway, we went over a giant bridge into the city for dinner and that's where we had them for the first time. We ALL were immediately addicted and had them as much as we could for the rest of the tour.

Layback11

Record Breaker
As the competition is over, any favorite performances?

Mine: Chartrand's SP :love: :love:, Cannuscio/McManus's SD :love: and Vartmann/Blommaert's SP :love: :).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Another vote for Menshov! Mad World and Radioactive fused together. GENIUS. I want to watch that program again. In fact I will do so now.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
haha not to kill your fun darlings... but Canada is a very big country.... and immigration is varied in its very different regions.... there's not really a "canadian accent" there are SEVERAL ;) you can't compare people from Newfoundland to Alberta etc etc... even from town to town... people in Montreal do not speak French the same way as people in Quebec city.. and these towns are only 2 hours apart in car... ;) it is indeed a country with a lot of diversity

Oh, don't worry, I realised that there is a lot of regional variation (and even alluded to it in my previous post). Like, anybody who just sees the size of Northern Ireland on a map would not believe the amount of variation in accent there is here!

But, I did find it interesting the point you made about Montreal and Quebec accents being different. I hadn't realised that there were regional variations within the French speaking community as well. There again, I haven't actually heard many Canadians speaking in French (Jacques Villeneuve is probably the only one!)

I just finished the Ladies FS, and I had to laugh. There we were last night talking about people from Newfoundland, and it turns out that that is where Kaetlyn Osmond is from! And the interview just showed how diverse the "Canadian accent" actually is. A skater from Newfoundland talking to a skater from Ontario.

And, just as a final comment on this accent discussion, Kaetlyn just proves the original point I was making. She would DEFINITELY fit in over here! In fact, she actually sounds just like somebody I know!

Moving onto the actual competition, and I was delighted that Kaetlyn won. She was definitely the best in each segment.

I LOVED everything about Alena's FS except for 2 things - the music and the skates.

That music was just a total mess. Like, how many songs were in there?! And although some people liked the transitions between the songs, I didn't. But maybe that was because I was having enough problems watching the videos and thought that I was losing the audio!

Didn't like the flesh coloured skates either. But, at least it was better than that awful habit that some skaters have of having their tights going over the skates (or, even worse, only partially covering their skates!) My attitude is that people do not have metal blades attached directly to their feet. So, why try to make it look as if they do?!

Alena looked amazing, and she skated really well. But, I am totally biased. Just remember, I was still championing her when everybody else was saying she should just retire! She may not be able to have a Liza-style comeback (let's face it, her Federation are still going to favour the younger skaters for the big events), but she has proved that she still has it!

Nothing againgst Courtney, but I think I would have preferred to see Alaine on the podium. And Mirai was amazing in the FS. If she can get the SP as polished as her FS was, she will be right in the mix come Nationals.

All in all, a very enjoyable Ladies FS (especially when I discovered that the routines from the final 2 groups were on YouTube! Yes, I still had to watch the intros and the highlights/getting results on Daily Motion, but it meant that instead of crashing a couple of times every skater, Firefox only crashed a couple of times altogether!)

By the way, the Gala has been put up on the Daily Motion channel this morning. :cheer: :rock: :party2:

1st Half: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x37xqim_gala-part-1-nebelhorn-trophy-2015_sport
2nd Half: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x37xqin_gala-part-2-nebelhorn-trophy-2015_sport

CaroLiza_fan

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I've had some time during the weekend to rewatch some performances...and I have to say that I'm super shocked by Chock/Bates, not in a positive way.

SD looks a lot like copy-paste from Virtue/Moir 2007/2008 OD to Dark Eyes - lots of poses, transitions taken literally from it, it does not look good. I was never a fan, but at least last season's SD had great new lift and was pretty original itself comparing to other couples. And her constant burlesque dance attitude...I just can't.

FD - if Igor thinks that giving them a worse Mahler version (from Virtue/Moir's iconic 2010 FD) would make them World Champions, he's probably insane. First things first - these costumes looks like taken from 80's, I'm really not into sooo matching costumes for both skaters...Next - all poses, stops, positions, transitions screams Virtue/Moir (Igor, really?); then I thought that lifts are a real forte of this duo - in this FD probably the weakest things are lifts...Very recycled, labored, without their usual flow and fairly easy comparing for example to their lifts in Doctor Zhivago FD couple years ago...

Generally, I'm disappointed by all top duos so far this season...hopefully Shibutanis, Weaver/Poje and Papadakis/Cizeron (if they will be competing) will bring it on

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I too have had some time to review some of the performances and digest. First, V and T in pairs do not look good. Their programs are not polished and they have not improved technically. I also disike Trankov's outfit - too white and does not seem to complement his partner. I think they need to find something stunning that means somethng too them especially for the free. It looks like they are just pumping out performances for medals but the medals may no longer be gold depending on who is in it. I think the real threat or favourites are the Chinese - SUI and HAN especially. V and T need to cleanly do all the elements they have added plus mayb eadd the quad twist (but the triple here was trouble.

Dance was a snooze fest. I was NOT impressed at all with Chock and BAtes - their programs mainly forget the early season skating. But there was no competition - a third or fourth Canadian team being their nearest rival. The programs for C and B seem to be rehashing of other great programs from other skaters -cheap imitations.

Men - I was really surprised Ithought Max Aaron and Menshov would come out dualing and it was the Canadian man winning both programs and I think he is like probably at best th e 4th seed from Canada (Nguyen, Chan and if healthy and with decent skate boots Ryenolds being ahead)

In ladies I was pleasantly surprised to see Kaetlyn Osmond win gold. After some earlier performances I wondered if she would ever return to a decent level - however she is still missing or not trying all her jumps yet in competition. She needs to get that 3F3T still for both programs or some at least the short and 7 triples in the long. Nice come back from Mirai but I am not sure the 3A in the short or long is realistic. It seems to affect the program and component scores too and wasn't that close to beling landed. I sense almost desperation.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I added links to the initial posts pointing to where chat about each event begins.

Hope this is helpful.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Men - I was really surprised Ithought Max Aaron and Menshov would come out dualing and it was the Canadian man winning both programs and I think he is like probably at best th e 4th seed from Canada (Nguyen, Chan and if healthy and with decent skate boots Ryenolds being ahead)

Not just boot problems. It turned out to be more serious than that.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Have finished writing the column, will sleep over it and cross check tomorrow. Then I will post it. Its filled with many more interviews this time than last, I am not sure if this is better or worse - but I hope you guys will let me know ;)

For now, good night everyone ;)

Astrid56

Final Flight
I've had some time during the weekend to rewatch some performances...and I have to say that I'm super shocked by Chock/Bates, not in a positive way.

SD looks a lot like copy-paste from Virtue/Moir 2007/2008 OD to Dark Eyes - lots of poses, transitions taken literally from it, it does not look good. I was never a fan, but at least last season's SD had great new lift and was pretty original itself comparing to other couples. And her constant burlesque dance attitude...I just can't.

FD - if Igor thinks that giving them a worse Mahler version (from Virtue/Moir's iconic 2010 FD) would make them World Champions, he's probably insane. First things first - these costumes looks like taken from 80's, I'm really not into sooo matching costumes for both skaters...Next - all poses, stops, positions, transitions screams Virtue/Moir (Igor, really?); then I thought that lifts are a real forte of this duo - in this FD probably the weakest things are lifts...Very recycled, labored, without their usual flow and fairly easy comparing for example to their lifts in Doctor Zhivago FD couple years ago...

First of all, it would be easy to see some similarity in their dances - they both skated to the theme of the same music. V/M wore a Gypsy-inspired costume as did Chock/Bates because this was a polka gypsy song. They were coached by the same man _ Igor Sphilband. As to the Mahler music, it's romantic - in fact, it was supposedly the composer's love song to his wife Alma so skating style was romantic suited the theme. While Rachmaninoff's Piano concerto # 2 dealt with the composer's triumph over his depression - his struggles and eventual success, C/B's lyrical and romantic skating style suited the music to a T. Once C/B have mastered the nuances of Rachmaninoff's composition, it will be a powerful and memorable program (the Nebelhorn performance was a first outing). I trust C/B's interpretative skills to render justice to this piece. In their first year as a team, they skated to Chopin and they were wonderful: they showed early on they were not one-dimensional performers. V/M were excellent, excellent skaters - could emote romance like none other but they simply lacked the range that would have made their 'Carmen' distinctly, controversially 'Carmen'. D/W didn't have the chemistry but their story-telling abilities made them a great success _ Samson and Delilah, Music of the Night (Phantom) and Scheherazade.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

Elladj switched coaches since last season, and you can already see a big difference in his ability and confidence. Last season he also was dealing with a concussion. I don't think it matters how he performed in the past, only how he will do from now on. And Kevin unfortunately may never be able to reach his potential...who knows if and when we will even see him compete again.